• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time for a top-end. Carls Port Job??

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
16 800, 2200 miles on the clock. Down ~5psi on Mag Cylinder. Time for a top-end. Debating just a refresh, or dropping it @ Carls for their Port job.

I am mostly a tree rider, mid range umph, quick spool up and burst of track speed over prolonged max rpm pulls (Climbing) is what I am looking for. I am not finding much on Carls version of the "Stage 4" in terms of perofrmance, relaibility and overall all season pull-and-go performance. As such, a few quesitons:

• Seen mixed feedback on runs on pump (91) or must mix 100LL or 110 Race with it. Carls says Pump 5000+, any conflicting feedbackthere?
  • Hows it handle spring weather? E.G. Deto issues, fade more than Stock.
  • Hows realibility vs stock in terms of expected life? If I can get 2 - 2.5K out of it, fantastic.
  • From a Stage 2 (pipe / can, SLP) to this hows it run? SLP's Stage 4 is all about the high rpm power (8300+) Carls likes to clutch down to 8100 or so and focus on Mid-Range. Hows it perform Mid to upper-mid range?
I am very curious, as the cost is quite high vs a normal top-end refresh. Carls basicly says its the cat's Meow, and I am inclined to trust them, but real world feedback would be great.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Send it to Wayde Johnson with T8RZ or Jadd Jacobs with Stroker Customs. They have it figured out. I am extremely happy with my set up.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Carls Stage 4 is awesome, I have a few friends that have run it. I don't think you'll be disappointed, they are a big step up from a stock 800. The fuel mapping seems to be right on and the few I've been around have not had any reliability issues.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
They have a dialed package that runs well and given the better low and mid range response and runnability than a stock 850, it’s a very good way to go. Know a guy that sold his 850 when he did this package to his older spare sled.
The bigger question is it worth the investment given resale s s the changes we‘re in store for tomorrow with the ‘22 release?

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Thanks all for the feedback. I don't cyle through sleds every year or two. This 16 is in mechanically great shape and continues to perform very well. The cost of new sleds just can not be justified for the amount I get to ride in a season. If I can get out once a week from Christmass to Tax day, that's a fantastic year.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I had a couple friends who ran Carl's Stage 4 800 Carl's set-up sleds, for some reason they sold them when the 850 came out. I'm still not convinced the 850 performed any better. I don't believe any 850 will outrun them, I feel a dialed ported 800 will either outperform them or will give them fits. My stock 163 800 runs right on the bumper of my 850, their ported 800's used to leave me in the dust.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I had a couple friends who ran Carl's Stage 4 800 Carl's set-up sleds, for some reason they sold them when the 850 came out. I'm still not convinced the 850 performed any better. I don't believe any 850 will outrun them, I feel a dialed ported 800 will either outperform them or will give them fits. My stock 163 800 runs right on the bumper of my 850, their ported 800's used to leave me in the dust.
I’ve had a few 800 run with my 850 until we get to a steep and deep hill then it’s game over. It’s all about the torque the 850 makes

Premium Features