• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

timbersled traverse ski sold out until march 2021?

E
Dec 19, 2007
If you just want to upgrade. Don't be in too big a rush. It's not much better than the old ts ski and worse in many conditions. The old ski was really good and is still available direct from Simmons.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Eric I agree. In my experience, the new ski is not as good on trail or hard pack. Way tougher to get the bike side to side. However, the benefit to me is going steep downhill in good snow under heavy throttle and banging hard turns. I find the new ski washes out way less than the mountain horse ski. The other benefit I noticed is catching decent air with a downhill powder landing—less likely to Endo. Obviously that can be fork set up also. Personally, I am fine fighting the ski in less than ideal conditions. I know you do a lot more fine-tuning to your bikes than I do!

MtnMoto

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2016
I have an ARO ski, and spindle from 2018 with one season of use for sale. It also has the Motion Engineering wheel kit for the front. I switched to a Yeti kit two years ago. PM me if you are interested and I can send pics

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Interesting, I have a aro (traverse ski) ski on my svx 450 and that thing handles so good off trail. The guy i bought it from dialed in the front forks and added a trio with ktm forks, always feels so planted off trail and goes where you want it. I have the backcountry ski on my 16 yz and it seems same on trail but not as good off trail, feels like it wants to wash out more. Front forks are too soft on the yz also. They booth suck on trail, I hate trail, no fun = trail. The camso ski i dont like on trail either but seems in between the back country and new traverse off trail. The plugging of wet snow on the camso stinks. You cannot ride one of these things when front ski plugs up. Last year on the yz i had the rear tss shock too short in the rear which i think contributed to the back country ski feeling like it was going to wash out off trail. I have made it longer for this year, added air pro to forks so it may help the wash out feeling. Maybe once i dial in the yz more the ski will feel much better and you guys not seeing a huge difference will come to the front. Thanks

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
My experience the Traverse ski exceeds the performance of the old Simons ski everywhere. Not even close. That being said, I am constantly adjusting and massaging my setup for improved performance. Some of the setups that come out of the bike shops are the otherside of horrible. If you don't ride sno bikes or never ridden a setup that works , how can you put together kits at the shop and send pilgrims out into the elements to founder.

E
Dec 19, 2007
They do seem to be more necessary on heavy bikes with more ski pressure. And generally they work better the softer the snow is. I just sold one of mine for $225 with a totally worn skag and lots of scratches.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Interesting, I have a aro (traverse ski) ski on my svx 450 and that thing handles so good off trail. The guy i bought it from dialed in the front forks and added a trio with ktm forks, always feels so planted off trail and goes where you want it. I have the backcountry ski on my 16 yz and it seems same on trail but not as good off trail, feels like it wants to wash out more. Front forks are too soft on the yz also. They booth suck on trail, I hate trail, no fun = trail. The camso ski i dont like on trail either but seems in between the back country and new traverse off trail. The plugging of wet snow on the camso stinks. You cannot ride one of these things when front ski plugs up. Last year on the yz i had the rear tss shock too short in the rear which i think contributed to the back country ski feeling like it was going to wash out off trail. I have made it longer for this year, added air pro to forks so it may help the wash out feeling. Maybe once i dial in the yz more the ski will feel much better and you guys not seeing a huge difference will come to the front. Thanks
All skis will plug with wet snow when the start to get scratched. The camso isn't better or any worse in that regards IMO.

Sand it smooth and then gently heat the bottom with a propane torch then wax it. Will be good as new.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
All skis will plug with wet snow when the start to get scratched. The camso isn't better or any worse in that regards IMO.

Sand it smooth and then gently heat the bottom with a propane torch then wax it. Will be good as new.
I made a mistake above. I have actually never tried the camso ski I was referring to the yeti ski that camso now owns. Any ways I will take the yeti ski off and try to smooth it out and wax it. I was thinking of trying the camso ski but I dont have parts to fit it to the yamaha or ktm. Just have the old svx forks with the camso ski. Could swap the whole forks over? I have been cutting my stock fork springs down on a few bikes and adding spacers to make them stiffer. Hard to get the top flat but getting better at it. Takes a little practice and heat. Anyway the svx forks were way to soft so I did that to them and have them in trailer with camso ski mounted for spare parts.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
If you just want to upgrade. Don't be in too big a rush. It's not much better than the old ts ski and worse in many conditions. The old ski was really good and is still available direct from Simmons.
New just like old has pros and cons , options are good especially today .
The old ski.may be heavy but it's pretty darn tough , if you can actually bend it it's because you have bent hardware . Pull it off and it'll go back and if you really curled it throw it in a hot tub , that's really rare . It has a memory and actually flexes taking out the chatter before it gets to you .
Scratches and even a dent from coming to a sudden impact of going no where can be massaged out with a good heat gun , again the material has memory . Don't sand , it'll meld back .

Side note , the more hardware on the button of the ski the slower the machine :)

E
Dec 19, 2007
Great idea on cutting the springs. Is there a formula to actually calculate the new rate? That would be cool. I just got a smokin deal on another back country ski and I don't like my riot ski enough to turn down a chance to flip it when the market is ripe. I'll start the bidding at $500.

Premium Features