• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled Riot S Shocks

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Trying to decide what kit to order... Ideally, would like to order the base kit and then use the extra $1K to put an iQS shock in the rear..or just change out the rear shock to a QS3 and leave the front alone. Anyone have a recommended person/dealer that could confirm that's even available and what the cost is?

My plan is to use this kit as a backup to my mountain sled, use it for spring riding conditions or poor snow condition days, and for playing around at home ditch banging. I'd likely buy the standard black anyway so don't see value spending an extra grand for the QS3 shocks. After running a couple sleds with QS3, I'm not overly impressed with factory valving so would rather just buy an aftermarket from someone that will set it up right from the start. Or are the QS3 shocks valved pretty good on the riot?

E
Dec 19, 2007
I got the base model and was happy enough by just turning preload on the rear but later found out it was over filled from the factory and finally broke so I guess i never had full travel on the back and was why it seemed to bottom in light g outs. So I had a fox float from my 15 sx kit I stuck on the rear. I revalved it with zero compression damping (just a check valve). End result is better than stock. I can run less preload on the front so it is plusher and the ramp up of the rear air spring controls bottoming better (but keep in mind my stock shock was probably hydro locking a half inch early). the old ts shocks are same length and bushings fit right in! The spring twisting was easier than the pump but honestly don't need to change it much. A riot is awesome even with the wrong setup for the conditions. No regrets. the worst a riot can be is with the rear locked, Does climb better but rides like poo.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
For $50 you can put the correct spring for your weight on the back of the Riot or ARO and be way ahead of the LE shock.
Internally the shock dampening/parts on the base model or LE are the same, the extra LE money gets you a shock where you ramp up hydraulic resistance in the shock on initial bump hits, yes the shock tends to not to squat as much and the ride suffers.
No matter whose shock you buy, outward appearances and bling are the difference, question is who has spent the time to valve a shock for your weight and then spring ? You can buy shocks with both compression and rebound adjustments ( not sure where for TS) and then with the correct spring for your weight and if they have internal dampening on the nut, with some playing with the three combinations you might improve the ride over stock.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I agree, most expensive shocks are just bling and if they have more clickers most folks don't adjust them right anyway. A good shim shuffler who actually rides the bike and tests can usually make any rebuildable shock work better than stock.

As far as spring rate on the rear of the riot the jury is still out weather stiffer is better. It's carrying less than 25% of the track load and sometimes much less if the chassis doesn't rock back under throttle. Seems to me it acts more like a wheelie bar adjuster than a shock hence the beauty of the riot design. But my gut tells me the front shock could use more rate and less preload but helping more with the rear makes the front better but then acts more like an aro. The range of adjustability though is huge though with just preload on the stock spring.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Like motorcycles, first order of business is setup suspension for your rider weight.....honest rider weight with gear/backpack/fuel.

I am sure the engineers at Polaris didn't design the Riot kit for 230 lb riders, .......ok I know they didn't because my 205 lb body weight translates to 230 at least with gear. Meaning stock springs are way off. One first day test run ,riding alongside a Riot observing the stock setup going through bumps........just too soft everywhere. Now after a good long riding season on my Riot and meeting other Riots out on the snow, more spring and more dampening is the answer, ok its the answer to better ride/climb/performance.
The feeling you need on the snow is blip the throttle......the bike / snobike kit leaps forward. You have to adjust to make that happen. Stock Riot with 200 lb rider, blip the throttle, the front end comes up.....not good and only then tries to move forward. You will fight this RIOT thing until you fix that. OR, you don't care.

Premium Features