• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled frame rails/tubes for tunnel cooler

B
Jan 7, 2019
Lethbridge
I'm running a KX500 '15 timbersled ST MH, only done one season with it with the two rads and I didn't have any overheating problems but I'd like to get my temps to stop doing 100f in the deep to 200f on the trail, just a little more steady.
I saw a build a guy did where he used the upper rails/tubes of the frame to carry his coolant to the tunnel cooler, made for a real tidy look. I'm thinking about doing what he did but instead of using a real tunnel cooler just using the tubes themselves as a heat exchanger, I'd use the lower tubes as they are closer to the track.
You guys think that it would have enough cooling capacity to do much? I remember from last winter the snow packs in around those tubes a lot. The pictures are all of his bike, I drew a yellow line to show where I'd just connect the tubes together.
Thanks

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
Would you keep your radiators? I'm no engineer but i doubt it will do a whole lot, it lacks the fins and thin spread flow of a cooler. if it was in conjunction with your radiators, it couldn't hurt, but i don't think it would be a replacement. Cool idea though! I wonder if he dealt with any leaking issues. seems like all your bolt holes would need a sealant.

B
Jan 7, 2019
Lethbridge
Yeah I'd keep the rads, I don't need a lot of extra cooling. Probably one of those things that I'll just have to do to see what happens.
Those aren't bolt threads, they're NPT, used in hydraulic systems and such

M
Jan 14, 2004
I think the issue would be the poor heat transfer properties of steel vs aluminum, I don't think you would get much cooling benefit.

M5

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Would you keep your radiators? I'm no engineer but i doubt it will do a whole lot, it lacks the fins and thin spread flow of a cooler. if it was in conjunction with your radiators, it couldn't hurt, but i don't think it would be a replacement. Cool idea though! I wonder if he dealt with any leaking issues. seems like all your bolt holes would need a sealant.

The upper tubes are sealed off from the rest.

The lower tubes have openings.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
hey but

having build several sets of coolers for snow bikes and ditching the radiators I found it really doesn't take much cooler to keep a 450 4 stroke cool on steep climbs and slow tree riding. I would guess the TS steel frame running cooling through out would cool your bike.............idea valid, but the execution of the project plugging all the holes, lots of work.

Premium Features