• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on a "tek" vest? (for mountain riding)

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
also those wanting to pack more why would you want that weight on your body while riding? just asking

I don't necessarily want to pack more, but I would like to have a little extra room while carrying essentials. By the time I fit a shovel, probe, saw, survival gear (fire starters, rope, etc), some extra gloves/goggles, extra bottle of water and energy bars, so on and so forth, my pack is pretty plump with no room to spare.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I don't necessarily want to pack more, but I would like to have a little extra room while carrying essentials. By the time I fit a shovel, probe, saw, survival gear (fire starters, rope, etc), some extra gloves/goggles, extra bottle of water and energy bars, so on and so forth, my pack is pretty plump with no room to spare.
agreed but what about having a removable bag on your sled with some or that stuff? kind of a grab and go kit.. yes I know what if you get separated from your sled.....I wonder what the statistics are on fatigue and heart attacks on a sled

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Speaking only for myself.
I try to carry everything I would need to spend the night on the mountain ON MY BACK.

I carry everything I need to extract my sled or someone else's ON MY SLED.

That way, should I get separated from my sled and stuck on the mountain, I can survive overnight.

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
I try to carry everything I would need to spend the night on the mountain ON MY BACK.

I carry everything I need to extract my sled or someone else's ON MY SLED.

That way, should I get separated from my sled and stuck on the mountain, I can survive overnight.

This. I do have a Sled Solutions under seat bag that has a number of things in it. I have also looked into tunnel storage, but most all the items in my pack I consider essential should I get separated from my sled.

It's all subjective. Everybody likes to carry different things as each person deems what he/she thinks is 'necessary.'

I upgraded to the Float Vest from a Float 30 backpack. Weight between them is comparable as I only had to remove a couple items from the Float 30 to fit everything in the Vest. That being said, the Vest is FAR more comfortable and easier on the body than the backpack style Float 30 is.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have been on the snow for 11 seasons now and tek vest wearing for the last 7 or 8. It took a little while to adapte to MUCH less layering under my coat with the vest as it is a lot warmer, but honestly cannot imagine riding without one. keeps my core super warm and I can count so many times even this year I would have landed in the hospital with broken ribs.

I have smashed the bars so hard with it on and knocked the wind out of myself but never had so much as a bruise on my body. Worth every penny.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
I've rode with a tekvest for over 15 years, feel naked without it on.
Friend hit a sinkhole/thermal spring at Rabbit Ears years ago no vest,
ruptured spleen, broken ribs, jaw, facial bones. He was wearing a helmet.
He survived because people saw his accident and got him to lot and called EMS/got him to Steamboat Hospital before he bled out. He now wears a tekvest.

Yes I do get warm with it on but just go lighter on layers.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I rode with a Tekvest in my racing days and would never have considered anything else. And then I bought a 661 Pressure Suit for single track excursions in the summer on the bike. Absolutely fell in love with the feel and protection. Rode with it in the winter and would never ride without again. Slimmer fitting than a tekvest and has a built in kidney belt. I also love the elbow and forearm protection even though I didn't think I would.

Another nice feature was that the chest protection was a solid piece(zipped up the side of my body) which helped over my Tekvest where I broke my sternum while using. With the the solid chest piece I wouldn't have broke my sternum.
Since using either protection piece I have saved my ribs countless times, kidneys, and back. My rear bumper tagged me once and broke the plastic spine of my 661 vest and I truly believe instead of a deep bruise I would have broke my back.

Now I use a Leatt 3DF Airfit and love it! The only way to make it better would to have the built in kidney belt but either way I love it.
What drew me to it over all others is the impact foam. Super plyable until you hit it. It instantly turns hard. It's amazing stuff. You can literally bend it around your hand and pound on it with a hammer and not feel a thing. It instantly goes hard and protects. Plus it's made to use a neck brace if need be. And now I use it year round like my original 661 vest.

Like you said, we all have somewhere to be Monday morning. AND families to get back to every night.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Totally agree with the full chest plate. The zippered in the middle type vest leaves a large vulnerable area right where your mountain strap or bars is going to hit just before cartwheeling over the hood.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The BCA vest won't fit the OP. I'm his size but a little lighter and it was too small. I wear a Leatt compression shirt with built in chest protector under a Tec Vest. Saved me many times. I broke a rib badly even wearing this but no internal injuries. Yes it's HOT. Wear a base layer under and a true shell jacket over. When it's really cold I wear a wool t shirt too. The armor does not insulate very well so when I stop I get cold quickly but it's still hot when I ride. Worst of both worlds lol.

Premium Features