• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on a "tek" vest? (for mountain riding)

T
Dec 26, 2009
Been looking into some upper body protection. Brother cracked some ribs and bought a TekVest.

Watched an experienced rider buddy hit the bars a couple times over the weekend. He was hurtin.

Any recommendations?

At 6'4" and 260 and I get WARM! Usually minimal base layers and wear an avy pack.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Absolutely LOVE The BCA VEST!
7639-115-6.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Is there really enough for storage in the BCA vest? That would probably be the best solution for me.

Shovel? Survival gear? Water/snack/etc.?

Pros - Cons of a BCA type avy vest vs vest and bag?

This is what I am currently wearing.

http://backcountryaccess.com/product/avalanche-airbag-float-mtnpro-vest/

<header class="secondary"> BCA Float MtnPro Vest Review

Mountain winter safety from avalanches

April 2016 Product Tests Steve Janes
</header>
There’s an English proverb that says “Necessity is the mother of invention.” That tends to explain a progression of events that started a little over 20 years ago and has led to the creation of high quality winter survival and safety products.

Backcountry Access came about in 1994 after an avalanche buried Bruce Edgerly and an avalanche beacon was invented by Bruce McGowen. Edgerly’s near-death experience made him realize that McGowen’s new invention was a necessity for extreme winter enthusiasts. This connection led to a business, which led to more products. Twenty years later what started as a shared interest and business venture, is now a multi-million dollar business designed to save lives.

The progression of BCA and its products continues on today.

At SnoWest Magazine, we have been quite aware of the products available at BCA. Over the years we have not only carried BCA products (Trekker beacon, shovel and probe) with us when we go out on snow, but we usually carry them in a BCA backpack. And we’ve tried to stay abreast of new products BCA introduces.

Several years ago BCA incorporated an avalanche air bag in its backpack, introducing the Float series. Last year it introduced a lightweight breathable protective vest. Then late in the season, we got wind of a new product being designed by BCA that incorporated a backpack and avi bag with a protective vest. After a couple of quick phone calls and emails, we had an early version of the Float MtnPro Vest to try out on the snow.

Keep in mind, this is a product that you must have … but never want to use. Like owning a gun for personal protection, or a life insurance policy, you want to have the peace of mind that you’re protected from the worst, but not be hampered from doing day-to-day activities.

The Float MtnPro Vest is a piece of equipment that you can wear without having it interfere with your normal movement. It is light; it is comfortable. And it’s not intrusive. Yet, if you find yourself caught in a situation where the mountain starts moving, you know you have a fighting chance of getting out of that predicament alive.

When it comes to a product review, well, try as we might, no mountains started moving. Even with the shortened snow season we found the Float MtnPro Vest to be just the kind of product that incorporated everything we needed for protection in one package.

For years we have used the Float backpacks. But we found that wearing them over chest protectors created a layer of bulk that restricted our movement, which led to restricting our ability to have full control over our snowmobile. We were forced to choose either protection of a moving mountain or protection from a moving tree.
Now we can have protection from both without compromising mobility.

The Float MtnPro Vest is designed to accommodate other great BCA products, including an avi beacon and BC Link radio, along with a few other essentials. It provides full front, side and back protection through a combination of hard shell and polyethylene foam.

The airbag part of the vest utilizes a small compressed-air refillable cylinder that fills a 150-liter bag at the pull of a cord. Overall weight with a full cylinder is 7.5 pounds. The price of this system is $799 and should be available this fall.

BCA stands behind its products and feature a 30-day return policy and 3-year warranty. For more information contact BCA at http://www.backcountryaccess.com/products/avalanche-safety/float-airbags/.

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
I don't ride without a TekVest of some variety.

As they say...
'We all have somewhere to be Monday morning.'

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Yeah I wouldn't ride without one either.
I have a Klim Tecvest,I do get very warm wearing it though so I don't wear much up top.
A long sleeve t shirt,tecvest and my single layer Klim jacket is all I wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
After breaking a rib on the end of my handlebar last Sunday I had one one it's way Monday morning. Most of the guys I ride with wear them and love them. Now I wish I would have bought one sooner.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Is there really enough for storage in the BCA vest? That would probably be the best solution for me.

Shovel? Survival gear? Water/snack/etc.?

Pros - Cons of a BCA type avy vest vs vest and bag?
You didn't hear this from me, but next year's vest WILL have even more storage space...:face-icon-small-hap

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I wear a motocross style chest protester, very light, not hot to wear, and stupid cheap!

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
And that is why we have a ROBUST SWAPMEET section here on SnoWest!!!

I've had my Float 30 posted there for going on a week now. Not even a nibble. I never was a great fisherman...

:juggle:

I guess I'll worry about upgrading when the time comes.

Back to topic. I do really like my Mtn Pro Float Vest. It eliminates a piece of gear and is easier on the body, specifically neck and shoulders. I really love the beacon pouch...no more harness digging into the neck!

For riding locally I still have a couple actual TekVests. Like I said...always have a vest of some sort on!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I wear a motocross style chest protester, very light, not hot to wear, and stupid cheap!
X2

I wear an EVS Revo 5 roost guard, shoulder pads removed, to protect from the occasional handlebar or tree branch. It's very light. I overheat with a regular Tek vest.

On a side note, had a buddy fall off of a cornice, flat light conditions, a couple of weeks ago. He took a handlebar to the ribs. Ended up bruising them and he was wearing a thick Tek vest. Would have been a major issue, had he not been wearing the vest...

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
I had a racer style tekvest for a few years. I thought it was too bulky. Haven't worn it in a while. I should probably sell it.

https://www.denniskirk.com/leatt/2015-black-4-5-body-vest.p3433598.prd/3433598SM.sku

This is the one I bought this year. It's a little snug but that's probably a good thing. Not bulky at all, good protection. I like it so far.

https://www.denniskirk.com/evs-sports/black-option-knee-guards-optk16-bk-a.p3575149.prd/3575149.sku

Get yourself a set of these while you're at it. Worth their weight in gold.

The BCA Float vest looks awesome. All of BCAs products seem legit/robust. I just wish they had more color options.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I wore the ISSR legal TekVest for many many years.
Once I started, I NEVER rode without it.
It's like wearing a helmet. Once you start...

Last year, I bought the BCA Mtn Pro vest/bag. LOVE IT!!!!!
It's not huge, so I don't over stuff it and make it heavy. I had a Float 25 and a Float 32. The 32 was awesome, but if it's big enough, you'll fill it. I made it too heavy. LOL

snowho96

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
ia
Been looking into some upper body protection. Brother cracked some ribs and bought a TekVest.

Watched an experienced rider buddy hit the bars a couple times over the weekend. He was hurtin.

Any recommendations?

At 6'4" and 260 and I get WARM! Usually minimal base layers and wear an avy pack.

I am your size and rented a bca moun tain pro vest for a trip from oeorentals. Liked it but heard from mike duffy that the are coming out with a bigger sized one next year. I am waiting for that because it wanted to ride up on me and would irritate around my neck. I ride with a tec vest brand size XXL now with base, long sleeve,tec vest and klink power cross pullover and are usually comfortable.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Get some protection!!!

I use to ride with a Tekvest and now have changed over to the BCA Mountain Pro Vest.

The Tekvest will offer a little more / better protection but the BCA vest is really comfortable and the compartments or pockets work great!!!

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Like someone else said. Next years(2018) vest is nicer:face-icon-small-sho.... The guy I saw wearing one really likes it. At the end of the season I'm going to beg him to see if he'll sell it to a poor broke girl. My only worry is that it won't fit my scrawny butt however, guy that has it is like 5' 6" and 150, so I have hope.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
there adjustable for every shape and size
face-icon-small-happy.gif
, also those wanting to pack more why would you want that weight on your body while riding? just asking

Last edited:
Premium Features