• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This is SnoWest?

Nightsider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2019
Castle Rock, WA
I’m almost ok with this. I’d still separate new chassis versus everything old.
And by this I mean take all Procross/Proclimb chassis 2012 to current and put them together.
Everything older gets to share their own sub. When a new chassis(an actual chassis, not plastic changes) comes out it gets a new sub and the PC gets tossed with the rest of the “older” stuff.

There’s a sub that hasn’t been used or rarely used? Discard or condense with others.

I kinda like the swap. Hard to beat how it’s setup. Altho some sort of integration or even just mimicking FB marketplace would be outstanding.
I never go to Kijiji or craigslist anymore because I find all the same stuff on Marketplace.

As for the sponsor sections and that jazz....if I’ve went in one of those sub’s, it’s because I’ve accidentally clicked on it. Absolutely a non-starter for me.
What would work better is an integrated messenger system for those sponsors. DM’s are too easy nowadays. Twitter, IG, FB.....it’s so easy to talk to these companies nowadays, instant gratification when you send those messages. Not so much on the forum. I know you can PM, but that’s more like an email. Even tho it works just the same, perception is that it’s a quicker and straighter line by DM. It’s a head scratcher no doubt, however like I said, it’s perception that matters.
Nike pays pennies to get shoes and shirts made, but they give Kapperdick a platform to be a baby and nobody even bats an eye as to the double entendre that’s going on. Perception is everything.

I’d also be full-time on social platforms. It’s basically a full time job pumping out content and building a fan base. It’s hard, I know, I have multiple irons in the fire and all are doing “okay” whereas if I had one project to focus on I could blow my social up. I just don’t have the time to be that organized and that engaging to build up the audience I want.

What I have learned by managing a race team page, business pages, non-profit page etc is that people don’t want another advertisement for what you’re selling. They want content they can like and comment on. My family shop almost never gets a post about deals or sales. It’s about fun content and a heads up on holiday hours. That’s it. When I changed my thinking to focus on that alone, the likes maybe didn’t skyrocket, but the DM’s certainly did. With similar numbers in likes my DM’s went up from once a day or two to getting 5-10 everyday. The hook is the content, the landing page is the line, and the interaction is the reel. The money? Well that’s the live well.

I’ve rambled on and off topic here. To give me full feelings about what this place could do is the same as I did for Snowtech one year. I was supposed to be a guest editor, so KB told me to go over the latest edition I had and tell him what could be done differently. I ripped his magazine a new a-hole and went over every page and what I would do different.
I doubt he go thru my entire email to him because I got a very curt “f-off and never speak to us again” one sentence email back.
I mean, when talking snocross game changers, don’t write a full two page article on Blair Morgan and have a photo of The Flying Finn and not once mention him or put a caption on the photo. I mean that article gave BM all the credit for the Rev when in reality all he did was race it. They already had it, he just made it famous. But nobody remembers that, they all think Blair designed the damn thing himself.

Oh I could go on and on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for not

K3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2010
Portland,Oregon
If it is not BROKE , do not fix it , OLD new or in between LET IT BE , THEN move forwards ? for the BETTER , kinda like a 2nd wife or GIRL-FREIND !!!? LIFE is short after 59 ??? sorta with out the BLUE pill !!! PLAY HARD & work as little as possible ??? Enjoy what we have left with kids & grandkids & our (best - friends) ? !!! l<>l & KLAN!!!? ? ?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
We can still have drama, pi$$ing contests, cowboys and plain(or complex) stupidity in fouled plug. Wheres 383lb800 and Tetonice?

Yes we can but........NO where near the level that several other social media sites produce. Quite honestly I don't have the time for it, even if it pops up here from time to time. These Keyboard Cowboys that want to "stir" the $hit are looking to do just that, no matter where they end up, show up or pop up. When we engage in these banters back and forth, we just feed their ego and fuel their passion for discontent. For whatever demented reason these people live and thrive off of creating ciaos and the best thing to do is feed them silence and eventually they move onto another site where they strike a nerve with someone willing to engage them. I deal with enough stupidity on a daily basis at work, so I don't need more when I come home. Like I said I don't have the time for it, I come here to relax, unwind and engage with genuinely good people that share a common interest.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I guess I don’t know how to use the forum. I look at new posts, threads with my posts, and watched threads. I hardly noticed all the subs.

i was going to post the same thing. I don’t go browsing through the subs, I just have the forum bookmarked by the new posts link and sort through that. Easiest way going.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
So a little explanation.
Each day the forum tallies up...
Total Number of Views per Post.
Total Number of Replies per post
Total number of Reactions per post.

Those three things then determine the TOP POSTS for the day and the week.
Those numbers are 100% member driven.

What would you have me change??

Seems like the most popular threads of the week are always Arctic cat from the emails I have seen. Almost appears like it is only looking at items in the A for Arctic cat or Asender?

I think condensing for sub-forums would increase interactions. Everyone gets stuck looking at what they ride or maybe what there buddy does too. At first it seemed like a great idea to exclude things like Patriot 850 from Axys, but now it may not make sense.

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Cat section seems like its the busiest with good discussions, I find the doo forum pretty boring most of the time

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
i was going to post the same thing. I don’t go browsing through the subs, I just have the forum bookmarked by the new posts link and sort through that. Easiest way going.
Everytime I log into SnoWest, the first thing "I" do is to click on WHATS NEW and then chose NEW POSTS and I scan through everything looking for whats interesting to me.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Everytime I log into SnoWest, the first thing "I" do is to click on WHATS NEW and then chose NEW POSTS and I scan through everything looking for whats interesting to me.

When I log in, I USUALLY ONLY go to the "New Posts" option. And I scroll down to "these threads have not been updated since your last visit".

Then I right click on each thread I want to open.. And select " open in New tab".

Works awesome.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Several years ago, I requested that Indy Wedge, Gen II and Edge all be consolidated.

IQ, IQR could consolidate.

Pro-Ride gets it's own, still.

Axys is also stand alone.

Polaris only needs 4 sub forums.

I'm positive that the other manufactures could use some similar consolidations.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
The requirement to pay just came at the worst time possible- when forums were having to start competing with social media. And I would bet that it continues to be a problem, absolutely not because of the cost itself, but because any tiny little obstacle (time, money, etc.) is enough to keep casual forum readers from being enticed to keep reading. After all, everybody has the attention span of a gnat these days, and there’s always some other easy internet based distraction right around the corner.

I have a friend that started sledding a couple years ago, and his first reaction when I told him to check out snowest was “Is that the place that you have to pay?What kind of idiot would go there?” I had to work pretty hard to convince him that it’s useful, and he likes it now, but if it wasn’t for my influence, he’d never have bothered with snowest.

Virtually everyone probably started reading the forum as a totally casual thing. Then they got more and more involved in it until they became hardcore forum users. But with that tiniest of obstacles, newcomers are gone way before they get hooked.

The sad thing to me is that the technical info is way less. It used to be that you could come up with the most bizarre technical question, and when you searched, some other nutcase had also asked it and there was a discussion. Stuff like how to run carbs on a Pro, or propane sleds, or paragon clutch theory, or specific gravity of av gas, or using a variflow in conjunction with dry nitrous on your Pro that is now carbed, or whatever. Now all that stuff is long gone. People are still doing it, just not discussing it on here.

Too many sub-forums also compartmentalize and alienate users from each other. It’s all well and good when there’s tons of people to make all the sub forums lively, but I’m not seeing it. There are threads over 2 weeks old on page one of the Axys 850 forum! That’s brutal! When people sense that there’s less activity in a subforum, they are less likely to hang around. It’s a vicious cycle.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Since the idea of CONSOLIDATING some of the forums seems to be gaining some traction, I have opened up that topic with all of the moderators to take a good hard look at just HOW we might actually make that kind of a structural change going forward.

I am not at all opposed to the idea.
AND.
Now that we have a vastly better search engine, having many sub-forums is far less important for locating information.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The new generation wants everything for free and to have it all at 20 years old. They don't understand it takes years of WORK and careful planning to be successful. They are also not as competitive as the older generations. its some of the fault of us for allowing it to happen. When was the first snowmobile race. When the second one was built. There is also less garage work being done at night. Problems just drop it off at the dealer pick it up on Friday and hit the trail.

Premium Features