• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This for real

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Have you considered a US dollar is worth like 30% more than a Canadian dollar?

You’re thinking of it as if a Canadian is buying a doo in the states; but in the US if you’re buying, a dollar is a dollar, much like when you buy in Canada. What I’m saying is if your income in the US is X you only need to spend say $13500 or whatever the number is in the US. Then in Canada your income is also X, but now to buy the same thing you’re spending $18,500. Only it’s friggen made in Canada.

In theory you could go buy one right at Ski-doos front door in Canada for that $18,500 (maybe minus the $400 that dealers always charge for freight). However, to get that same product to a US market there is now a cross border shipping cost, any additional tax on parts of the product which incur taxes, brokerage cost etc. I’m no pro at the exact costs involved but I know it’s more than showing up at Ski-doos doorstep.

However, your logic is spot on mentioning the 30% exchange. Because when a US dealer buys inventory from Canada it’s 30% less, right?? But, if that were true, in 2008 when Canada was actually a few % stronger on the dollar, all the machines should of then been the same price roughly and followed closely for several years. But they weren’t, which is why Canadians were flooding across the border to buy cars, sleds, property etc etc. Those products, irregardless of the dollar, were cheaper to buy plain and simple. There was no “oh it’ll be reflected in next years pricing”. It was still thousands of dollars less to buy. Which is why I bought 5 sleds in the US during the “hay day”. I had buddies buying 3 or 4 Ski-doos in the US to sell back in Canada. I’m sure you remember this time if you’re a Canuck.

The corporate solution however was to punish Canadians for trying to save money and to make things like warranty void if you bought in the US and imported to Canada. Made it not worthwhile to save the cash. Was implemented to protect the dealers,,, not us. But big business isn’t in business to protect the buyer. First 2 sleds (new) I brought back from US had full warranty in Canada. After that it was a no go for warranty. I had a property in Montana at the time so for me It just meant I had to stay riding at my property in MT.

Like I said though, you’re totally correct on what should happen based on the dollar. But we live in a world where the buyers in the system take it up the chute so the corporate sellers can keep the flow.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Keep it simple stupid. Kiss.
How much does it cost otd in Us?
How much does it cost otd in Canada?
What are the costs to get the product to the USA?
How hard is that?
A book ? is not required. Wtf dude?

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Keep it simple stupid. Kiss.
How much does it cost otd in Us?
How much does it cost otd in Canada?
What are the costs to get the product to the USA?
How hard is that?
A book ? is not required. Wtf dude?

Because there is more to cross border trade/sales with different dollars and values, tariffs, shipping yada yada than just OTD prices.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Because there is more to cross border trade/sales with different dollars and values, tariffs, shipping yada yada than just OTD prices.
Dollar, 30%.
No tariffs.
Pick it up yourself. Eliminate the shipper, eliminate the broker.Declare it when you cross the border.
It’s as difficult as buying a pair of jeans which is easy if your not stuck in between sizes.
I do a lot of cross border shopping, importing stuff. It’s simple stuff. Even thump426er can do it. Haha

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Factory turbo 800 ctec 2.....
4352135cbcd3fceb8beabedef3373a53.jpg

Sent it

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
All the pics Ive seen there is no exhaust deflector. In all honesty Id be down for an electric motor if it can go 75 mtn miles. To think of no overheating, no clutches, no fluids, less maintenance, instant power/torque. And people couldnt complain as much and take more riding areas away from us. That Tiaga isnt that heavy compared to a current cat full of fluids and stock can.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
All the pics Ive seen there is no exhaust deflector. In all honesty Id be down for an electric motor if it can go 75 mtn miles. To think of no overheating, no clutches, no fluids, less maintenance, instant power/torque. And people couldnt complain as much and take more riding areas away from us. That Tiaga isnt that heavy compared to a current cat full of fluids and stock can.

I don't think the battery tech is quite there yet for a cold weather machine. Can't imagine what your battery life would look like when you wake up to a -20 degree morning. I realize most people don't see temps like that, but I think you would be in the slim minority if you haven't rode in temps like that before at least once. 4 stroke makes more sense at this point IMO. Although I wouldn't be mad if they had something figured out to make it possible.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
This thread needs to get back on track to being the speculation thread that it is. That said, I speculate that the Instigator is a 300cc kids sled. To get them started on mountain riding. I'm guessing it's based on the race chassis with alpha suspension. No exhaust deflector is interesting, but could easily be a tunnel dump. The lay down steering is odd too. I can't think why they would do that.
The Thrill Seeker in my guesstimation is definitely a mountain sled, hopefully something near 900cc. Although a turbo 2-stroke would be cool too. Could a turbo 2-stroker put out 180hp, carry a factory warranty and be weight comparable to our current 800s?
Their next one will be a trail burner, most certainly with same powerplant as thrill seeker.
Bring on the speculation and guesses! I love that cat is doing this early and building excitement before the snow has even hit yet. Can't wait until the 19th, see how far off or close we came.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
As to the no exhaust deflector stuff, there's a couple pics of cat patents showing a single cylinder 2stroke with the pipe routed under the seat and out the back. Both one ski and two ski versions

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Thrill seeker looks like the riot x with an alpha suspension. The track looks pretty tight pitched and is shorter lugged. EFF56C9F-E939-4B02-B600-2C3F15C36323.jpeg

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Thrill seeker looks like the riot x with an alpha suspension. The track looks pretty tight pitched and is shorter lugged. View attachment 333991
I can agree with that. This picture is clearer than the one I was looking at.
Doesn't it seem strange there is no sneak peak at a trail ripper sled? Not that I really care, keep the off trail sleds coming, but still seems odd.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
my 17 MC came with no exhaust deflector.
I think the thrill seeker is just an alpha with a 2.6. I can't believe they don't have a wind deflector tho, so ugly with the gauge just poking out the top. horrible camera angle showing that off too. sorry for the whiney :(. a 300 single with turbo would be fun! maybe FMF will make a pipe!

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
A 300 single with a turbo would be a kick. But only if everyone in your riding group had one. You show up with that and everyone else is riding 850 turbos, the fun factor would be missing.
Remember way back when Cutler made a 300 or 350 single? I don't remember if it was a 600 or 700 he cut in half. Then he narrowed up a chassis to put it in. The thing was super light. Wish I could remember details, can't even remember which chassis it was. Getting old sucks!

Premium Features