• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about M8, thinking correctly?

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
I have a 14/16 cat with Jaws pipe and an 18 and 19.
Ctec hands down!
I loved the zuke from 2008-2017. Ctec runs so clean and crisp all the time and clutching is spot on. Belts last thousands of miles instead of hundreds.

Polaris

i also agree. I had a zuke that was basically a 2016, belt drive, carbon hood/skid, full pipe set, fuel controller etc etc and my 18 feels even better. runs so much smoother, clutching far superior, fit and finish better (minus the intake gaps that I had to fix), panels much nicer, led headlight is awesome etc etc

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I love my 17 MC. I have ridden the C-tech in an 18 MC and 19 Alpha, I just do not feel the claimed revelation with the new motor. I have seen the Alpha have to go to the shop a couple times for running issues, never had that with a Zuk. Hopefully the 2020 version is better sorted. I still have very little faith any of the new emissions motors will have the longevity the Zuk offers. Crisp and clean translates into lean, which wont work in a 2 stroke for long...

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have a 14/16 cat with Jaws pipe and an 18 and 19.
Ctec hands down!
I loved the zuke from 2008-2017. Ctec runs so clean and crisp all the time and clutching is spot on. Belts last thousands of miles instead of hundreds.

Polaris

... remember in 16 and 17 when I said Cat was due for a new motor, and all you kitty lovers were like “Noooooooo we dont ever want a new motor this ones purrrfect” oh and “we don’t want new body work the current stuff is so easy to take off and put on”. Oh just read big10s post LOL. The Zuke was and is a sweet motor don’t get me wrong, but it was time for a new SMOOTHER motor, I don’t know if theres any other way to put it, jumping back and forth from an Etec to the Zuke was like taking a step back in time.

Anyway to the original poster, spend the extra money and get a 16 LE or NEWER. I would guess that 95% will tell you thats a no brainer.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
... remember in 16 and 17 when I said Cat was due for a new motor, and all you kitty lovers were like “Noooooooo we dont ever want a new motor this ones purrrfect” oh and “we don’t want new body work the current stuff is so easy to take off and put on”. Oh just read big10s post LOL. The Zuke was and is a sweet motor don’t get me wrong, but it was time for a new SMOOTHER motor, I don’t know if theres any other way to put it, jumping back and forth from an Etec to the Zuke was like taking a step back in time.

Anyway to the original poster, spend the extra money and get a 16 LE or NEWER. I would guess that 95% will tell you thats a no brainer.
I've been excitedly waiting for the new engine since 2013 when i spoke with Troy, the manager of the mountain division. Yes, the Ctec was out running around back then.
Body work, I was never a fan of the cheesy proclimb plastics.

Polaris

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
ya I don't think anybody bragged about the proclimb bodywork did they? its the worst part of these sleds hands down. summ8, not sure you give the 16/17 a fair shake on the belt life.. they started that game! never come close to blowing a belt on mine. gotta have both team primary and secondary on there to get the life. id like to see the 18+ lose that belt squeak in reverse as well as completely solve the intake gap issues before I part with my 17. I have a theory that the cleaner leaner ctech motor is just pickier about a little snow injestion than the pig rich zuke ever was, it would stumble a little maybe where the ctech will stop dead in its tracks. if it was a free trade I would upgrade to the new sled in a heartbeat. tho don't get me wrong.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
ya I don't think anybody bragged about the proclimb bodywork did they? its the worst part of these sleds hands down. summ8, not sure you give the 16/17 a fair shake on the belt life.. they started that game! never come close to blowing a belt on mine. gotta have both team primary and secondary on there to get the life. id like to see the 18+ lose that belt squeak in reverse as well as completely solve the intake gap issues before I part with my 17. I have a theory that the cleaner leaner ctech motor is just pickier about a little snow injestion than the pig rich zuke ever was, it would stumble a little maybe where the ctech will stop dead in its tracks. if it was a free trade I would upgrade to the new sled in a heartbeat. tho don't get me wrong.
Yeah, i keep forgetting that the 16/17 have great belt life. I have a $300 jack shaft in my 14, i don't want to throw it away to swap in the 16+ secondary....

Polaris

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
I’ve been reading this thread for a friend who asked me about a 2016. He found one with only 1K miles on it for a good price. After reading all the inputs from every one, I feel really good about telling him he was getting a good solid machine.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
We have a 14, 15, 16 ,17, 19 & 20 in our family. They have improved as would be expected every year. Buy as new as you can afford and enjoy

Premium Features