• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about M8, thinking correctly?

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
Thinking about getting a newer Arctic Cat M8 this fall, upgrading from a older Polaris. I am deciding on a 14-16 Arctic Cat M8 with the reliable 800cc Suzuki motor I have heard good about them. Anything I should look out for? Anything why I should stay away from them? Anything super great about them? How is the power band on the motors some people talk about it but is it something I should be concerned about. Just give me your review and comments on these years. I know the 16 has the upgraded front end but if a really clean 15 pops up I don’t think I can’t not take it. Thanks!

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
If possible, I would see if you can find a 17 mountain cat. You will have the Suzuki engine still and all the upgrades of the 18 besides the new body work which you could add if you wanted. If you go older you will still have a reliable ride, and putting the 16+ front end on anything is getting easier as more parts are available.

If you don't want to mod or change anything then the 15 should be bulletproof for you if you do the regular maintenance.

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
If possible, I would see if you can find a 17 mountain cat. You will have the Suzuki engine still and all the upgrades of the 18 besides the new body work which you could add if you wanted. If you go older you will still have a reliable ride, and putting the 16+ front end on anything is getting easier as more parts are available.

If you don't want to mod or change anything then the 15 should be bulletproof for you if you do the regular maintenance.

— Yes I will look, for some reason I thought they changed the motor in 17 but it was probably 18. Thanks for that, right now it’s just comes to the cleanest sled for me with low miles. Just still trying to figure stuff out and looking at the specs and which sled is worth my moneys worth. Anyone else have experience with years of sleds??? Thanks

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
go new as you can, many don't realize the updates from 14 to 15, or 16 to 17. significant upgrades every year whether you see them or not.

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
go new as you can, many don't realize the updates from 14 to 15, or 16 to 17. significant upgrades every year whether you see them or not.

— Yes, I know between 15 and 16 they did quite a few like the TEAM clutching and the new front end. I am trying to get the newest, but if a clean older sled like a 15 pops up I might take it. Thanks for the reply.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I own a 17 Mtn Cat, my buddy has a 16 LTD which I have put hundreds of miles on, 1300+ on the MC. I crashed the MC right after I bought it so I put miles on my buddies spare 16 and had a weekend on a nearly new 15 loaner.

I agree so far, the newer, the better. The 15 is an absolute stinking dog next to the newer sleds. I HATED it, honestly the difference is HUGE. The clutches and front end geometry are worth whatever you have to pay to get them. I would never spend my money on a stock 15 and would advise you the same. The 16's and 17's are great riding sleds, very capable, get the 3" track for sure, best in the biz. The 17 with the drop and roll case is better yet, much more responsive in the trees, gets up on the snow like an axys. I honestly may start looking for another low mile one since I am still a little unsure about the ctech motor still.

So please stop with the notion of finding a nice 15 and settling... Only works if you never ride the others. LOL

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
I own a 17 Mtn Cat, my buddy has a 16 LTD which I have put hundreds of miles on, 1300+ on the MC. I crashed the MC right after I bought it so I put miles on my buddies spare 16 and had a weekend on a nearly new 15 loaner.

I agree so far, the newer, the better. The 15 is an absolute stinking dog next to the newer sleds. I HATED it, honestly the difference is HUGE. The clutches and front end geometry are worth whatever you have to pay to get them. I would never spend my money on a stock 15 and would advise you the same. The 16's and 17's are great riding sleds, very capable, get the 3" track for sure, best in the biz. The 17 with the drop and roll case is better yet, much more responsive in the trees, gets up on the snow like an axys. I honestly may start looking for another low mile one since I am still a little unsure about the ctech motor still.

So please stop with the notion of finding a nice 15 and settling... Only works if you never ride the others. LOL

— Yeah I need to stop saying that, it just seams like there’s a lot of 14 and 15 LTD for sale. Yeah it looks like I should at least get a 16. Could I update the front end and clutches or should I just find a 16? What about the power band on the motors is it as critical as some people make it? Thanks

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I don't know what is wrong with the power band. I do know all of the zuk 800s I have ridden felt way stronger than the polaris sleds I have owned. We still have a pair of 2010 M8s with the 800HO, they still rock.

Not sure what people are getting at. Sleds have a continuously variable transmission. When you pin it the rpm should jump to max or very near it. There is no pulling through the rpm range like in a car. The clutches let the motor make max power and catch the driveline up. There really is no need for a "power band" which is why peak power 2 strokes are still the best engine for sleds.

You might find a 14-15 that has been updated, not uncommon for people to do the front ends. Both projects get a little spendy, the Team clutches and parts are not cheap. I think the minimum $2000 to get it updated puts you right in the market for a newer one.

Last edited:
H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
I don't know what is wrong with the power band. I do know all of the zuk 800s I have ridden felt way stronger than the polaris sleds I have owned. We still have a pair of 2010 M8s with the 800HO, they still rock.

Not sure what people are getting at. Sleds have a continuously variable transmission. When you pin it the rpm should jump to max or very near it. There is no pulling through the rpm range like in a car. The clutches let the motor make max power and catch the driveline up. There really is no need for a "power band" which is why peak power 2 strokes are still the best engine for sleds.

You might find a 14-15 that has been updated, not uncommon for people to do the front ends. Both projects get a little spendy, the Team clutches and parts are not cheap. I think the minimum $2000 to get it updated puts you right in the market for a newer one.

— For that much I guess it is really worth it to get a 2016 model. Other than the engine does everything else hold great and not fall apart, is there a certain flaw this machine have or is it just a good sled that’s trouble free? Sorry for all the questions I just want to know what I am getting into. Thanks again!!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
16 and up the only real problems are the fit and finish of the plastics and the ski's suck. 14-15 are the same sled and have the older clutches that have a life span of about 1500 miles.
I put 4000 miles on my 16 and it was a great sled! I had to replace the clutches, reeds and I put in a new top end. these are all maintenance item you will have on any of them.
as said above the newer the better.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
the cat for sure has more power than the polaris but I feel like it's less refined. The cat feels like it either wants to be at WOT or nothing, anything in-between you just gotta blip the throttle (not an issue, just what I observed). good sleds and they are bulletproof, I had tube boards, c3 postforward and cfr bars on mine which made a huge difference ergonomically. Only real complaint was the side panels - they fit so poorly I had a lot of snow intrusion and subsequent belt issues

So I don't sound like I'm BS'ing... I spent the final 3 days of the season on a 17 axys after a season on a 14 with complete 16 ltd updates (front end, clutching, shock package, etc)

T
Dec 20, 2018
Buy a 2017 ...change the top sprocket for a steel one and seal the airbox because there is a lot of snow intrusion then call it a day...I bought a 2018 850 doo my friend a leftover 2017 cat and i can tell you hes ride is stellar compared to mine....The power difference isnt much...he can do everything i can beside maybe an 180 degree uturn at the bottom of a hill..handling seems to be a tad better on the doo...changed belt just for the sake of it it had 1300km...i was already at my 8th ;D

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
If there were gaps in the airbox, I never found them, neither have my buddys on Proclimbs. That is a new bodywork issue.

The top sprocket is not an issue on the '17s either. The chain change in 16 fixed that issue from previous Proclimbs.

I ride circles around 850 Doos all day on my 17 MC... The Doo is way too unstable in the tight trees and they wont sidehill with the Cat or the Polaris.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
panels fit like cr@p but theres things you can do to help. i added the tumb screw to exhaust side. it pulls that panel tighter, hole is already drilled for it. Mountain fit has the vents skins for each side too, pull the flatlander clutch ducting that they added to 15's and up and replace it with the vents, saves a couple pounds too. I wanted 18+ bodywork for a while but its too much with adding the mountain fit intake screen youd need. i dont feel i need to be on off the gas all the time, it will tractor, maybe not like an 850 or ctech but they will buzz along at low rpm fine, its just so much fun to constantly feel that top pull, so i too am always on/off it. keeps the front end lighter:face-icon-small-coo

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
16+ only IMO. the reason you see so many 14/15 for sale is because the new ones are that much better. 16's have better clutches, new front end and redesigned rear suspension. the 2017 mountain cat is even better yet with dropped case and narrower boards. don't settle on anything older than a 16

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
There's some good advice here. However, if you find some clown like me with a 2015, who has put the 16 front end, the 2017 mountain cat drop and roll drive axle with belt drive, updated skinny boards, grippers, new clutches, SLP single pipe, MDS weights, etc. etc. you may want to take a second look.

The 2015's can be made to perform like the 16 and 17's (except for the suspension) but, it takes some bucks to do so. If you find one that has all the 16 and 17 updates, don't be afraid to give one a try.

Honestly, I still would prefer a 2017 Mountain Cat over one of the newer CTEC sleds but, I basically built one myself.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have a 14/16 cat with Jaws pipe and an 18 and 19.
Ctec hands down!
I loved the zuke from 2008-2017. Ctec runs so clean and crisp all the time and clutching is spot on. Belts last thousands of miles instead of hundreds.

Polaris

Premium Features