• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thicker base gasket on turbo axys?

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Im curious if anyone has tried stacking base gaskets on a turboed axys.

My theory is that if i lower compression slightly, this may help with some bottom end power as well as help to eliminate detonation. I know this messes with port timing a bit, but im not sure if would be enough to worry about.

Im looking to eliminate the silber bog. I know folks say clutching will help, but as a guy who works on engines a bit, i think the engine should feel good and not bog no matter how it's clutched.

Please enlighten me.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Im curious if anyone has tried stacking base gaskets on a turboed axys.

My theory is that if i lower compression slightly, this may help with some bottom end power as well as help to eliminate detonation. I know this messes with port timing a bit, but im not sure if would be enough to worry about.

Im looking to eliminate the silber bog. I know folks say clutching will help, but as a guy who works on engines a bit, i think the engine should feel good and not bog no matter how it's clutched.

Please enlighten me.

I’ve seen multiple people go through the same deal as you.

the lowered compression gives terrible low end performance. (Idaho head from BD)

it ends up being clutching 95% of the time.
It’s actually overrevving at certain points along the shift range and that’s the bog you feel.

boost is a tricky thing to contain.

just pony up and get a proven setup.
TRS or indydan.

it will pay for itself in 300 miles by giving better belt life.
silber clutching = 40 miles
Indydan clutching = 6-700 miles.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Don't mess with the motor unless you're going to build a turbo specific motor, if you're having detonation problems add more octane. More than likely the bog is mostly in your clutching unless you have something else going on! Get some good tucked weights for your primary and set belt to sheave clearance .018 the .020, you will love it. Also some guys think they have to run the silber in ethanol mode, absolutely find non-ethanol fuel and up your aviation fuel, you'll be smiling ear-to-ear ?

Last edited:
P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I just think it blows that Silber gauranteed my low end performance would not be sacrificed and now here i am having to sink another 500 bucks into it too make it run worth a damn. Silber just blames the sled saying something else is wrong. My friends 2017 does the exact same thing with this same turbo. Silber should just take the clutch kit out and charge 500 less.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I just think it blows that Silber gauranteed my low end performance would not be sacrificed and now here i am having to sink another 500 bucks into it too make it run worth a damn. Silber just blames the sled saying something else is wrong. My friends 2017 does the exact same thing with this same turbo. Silber should just take the clutch kit out and charge 500 less.
It's built for the masses, it's simple, adjustable and keeps the price of the kit down. Performance and hp cost money, other than the clutching it's a great overall turbo ? I know he will take $100 off the price if you don't want the clutching.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Don't mess with the motor unless you're going to build a turbo specific motor, if you're having detonation problems add more octane. More than likely the bog is mostly in your clutching unless you have something else going on! Get some good tucked weights for your primary and set belt to sheave clearance .018 the .020, you will love it. Also some guys think they have to run the silber in ethanol mode, absolutely find non-ethanol fuel and up your aviation fuel, you'll be smiling ear-to-ear
I run a Silber in non-ethanol mode and at 5 lbs boost, 6-9k elevation on straight 91 pump gas. Runs like a beast all day long. Belt lasted about 700 miles before a tiny chunk came off the top. I blame the belt not being chamfered at the top, though. My current belt is chamfered and still going strong.

My secret to awesomeness?? TRS clutch kit.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Yeah you should be able to run 5 lb with 91 non ethanol but it's really hard to find good 91 anymore. I'm 65% av fuel to 35% 91 non ethanol at 7 to 8 pounds of boost at 9000 feet, before that it was a turd and backing spark plugs out, had to run it in ethanol mode just to get through that day. Up the AV gas to where I'm at now and it turned into an animal, I was at a 50/50 blend before that. and yes absolutely clutching is where it's at after you get your fuel mixture figured out. I put together my own clutching with thunder products heavy hitter weights and a tied secondary. Over the hood powder all day long, instant 8500 RPMs when on and off the throttle with amazing backshift. At first I thought that was too much octane but then I realized that boondocker runs straight AV gas for 10 pounds of boost, I've also got really good bottom end, little to no turbo lag.

IMG_20200214_221350.jpg IMG_20200213_141028.jpg

Premium Features