• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

~~The Official Phazer Thread~~

G

GTmalone

Feb 15, 2011
I ordered the Barker exhaust yesterday. Its a slip on and the guy at Barker said I do not have to run the EHS fuel controller. I talked to a guy, Jim Cage, he ran a 1000mi without a fuel controller and no problems. He didn't dyno the Phazer without the fuel controller but he did hit a top speed of 103. Jim and I talked on the phone, both of us agreed we could only get 91mph out of the Phazer stock. With the fuel controller Jim said he got 11 more hp but he thinks the machine runs better without the controller. I'm going to run the quiet core in my Barker to satisfy the local authorities and also I'm sure the stock ecu will manage fuel easier that way. The pipe comes in next week, I'll post video with my gopro and let everyone know how it goes. :face-icon-small-hap

G

GTmalone

Feb 15, 2011
The Barker's exhaust is finally installed. The exhaust sounds awesome and its wayyyy lighter than stock. I can't wait to ride this weekend!

P2200005rs.jpg P2200006rs.jpg

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Turbo Phazer video

Does anybody out there have some video of their turbo phazer playing around in the powder? This seems, on paper, to be an option with a lot of potential and I'm amazed that it doesn't have more popularity than it does.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Yes

Now that's what I'm talking about. If they would run the same $1,000 stock turbo snowcheck program with a phazer, I would have one. Hmmm...and a 15" track, then I would have one. What track do you have on your turbo phazer?

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
15 x 153 x 2.5 challenger extreme cut down to 14.5". Its an awesome setup with the oft rail extension.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Cool video

At the end of the video is a great comparison of how the HP of a turbo Phazer relates to a stock 800cc two cycle. At 10,000' + a little boost can make a world of difference. It's odd to think that out of a mere 500cc with boost that you are surpassing the estimated HP of naturally aspirated 1000cc two cycle at this kind of elevation . I too agree that this is how they should have come out of the crate.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Exactly

Yeah, that's exactly my point. You can get a phazer on a turbo still running pump gas, and at 10k, it will be more powerful than a stock 800. If they did it the way they do the Nytro it would be just as cheap as a stock 800. I'm just amazed that Yamaha, and their dealers and their die-hards don't have a ton more of these out there. It's weird.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Newer Phazer vs. 2001-2003 Mountain Max

My girlfriend and I got back into snowmobiling this last season and have been running a pair of Yamaha Mountain Max 700 (2001 and 2003). We've started considering getting a used Phazer ('08 or later) and used Nytro ('10 or later) next season. We are not power freaks and so the power on each should be fine. MM700 are around 100hp, but with the 4-stroke power delivery of the 80hp phazer, I think that will be fine for our riding styles. The Nytro will likely be a 162" so we have options. We'll probably take turns switching back and forth on the machines depending on terrain because I might be a tad less likely to get the shorter-tracked Phazer stuck in the deep stuff and think the "tippy" nature would be fun to carve. Again, the Phazer having only 80 hp is not a concern unless it impacts it starts impacting our ability to ride off-trail at altitude. Then two nytros or one nytro and keeping a MM700 might be in our future.

The comments above regarding phazer trenching have me wondering about Phazer flotation and how it compares to our MM700. I did a quick estimation on the track footprint and the 141" x 15" Mountain Max has more track on the ground than the 144" x 14" Phazer. I know there is more to flotation and mountain performance than that track footprint, but just curious if we'd be going backwards for riding in deep snow and on mountain performance. We typically ride the mountains, here in Montana, at 6,000 to 8,000 feet (and up to 9,000) and it can be plenty deep. We can handle it well on our MM (just have to be a bit more picky on where we go compared to the 153" and 162" sleds).

I may not have the ability to test ride a phazer or nytro in the deep powder before purchase so just trying to get a comparison from someone that has mountain or deep powder riding experience on both the post-1999 MM700 and on the new generation of Phazers. Thanks.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
My girlfriend and I got back into snowmobiling this last season and have been running a pair of Yamaha Mountain Max 700 (2001 and 2003). We've started considering getting a used Phazer ('08 or later) and used Nytro ('10 or later) next season. We are not power freaks and so the power on each should be fine. MM700 are around 100hp, but with the 4-stroke power delivery of the 80hp phazer, I think that will be fine for our riding styles. The Nytro will likely be a 162" so we have options. We'll probably take turns switching back and forth on the machines depending on terrain because I might be a tad less likely to get the shorter-tracked Phazer stuck in the deep stuff and think the "tippy" nature would be fun to carve. Again, the Phazer having only 80 hp is not a concern unless it impacts it starts impacting our ability to ride off-trail at altitude. Then two nytros or one nytro and keeping a MM700 might be in our future.

The comments above regarding phazer trenching have me wondering about Phazer flotation and how it compares to our MM700. I did a quick estimation on the track footprint and the 141" x 15" Mountain Max has more track on the ground than the 144" x 14" Phazer. I know there is more to flotation and mountain performance than that track footprint, but just curious if we'd be going backwards for riding in deep snow and on mountain performance. We typically ride the mountains, here in Montana, at 6,000 to 8,000 feet (and up to 9,000) and it can be plenty deep. We can handle it well on our MM (just have to be a bit more picky on where we go compared to the 153" and 162" sleds).

I may not have the ability to test ride a phazer or nytro in the deep powder before purchase so just trying to get a comparison from someone that has mountain or deep powder riding experience on both the post-1999 MM700 and on the new generation of Phazers. Thanks.

Hey chad I went from a 99 man max 600 piped and clutched to a stock 2007 phazer MTn and the phazer was easier, more fun to ride, better in deep snow, and better power with 4 stroke torque.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I posted my MM700 vs. New Gen. Phazer question over in the two-stroke section. Figured I'd get some interesting responses from the two-stroke fans...and I have. Most say the MM700 is equal to or superior to the Phazer. Looking for more balanced input (from the four-stroke fans) so feel free to post up further comment in this thread or over this the below thread. Thanks. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338759

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
I heard the phazer motor is unreliable on boost??

So I have been putting some serious thought into doing a 2013 polaris pro chassis with a phazer motor conversion turbo! I feel a 140hp on boosted 4stroke is a hell of alot better then 140hp on 2stroke 800, so if you could provide me with some great information on good or bad and help persuade me to do this project! My riding style is really technical lines, were you use alot of balance and throttle control. I ride cooke city, togwotee, and colorado alot! I have ridden bigger turbo sleds and the extra hp is not needed I mostly ride a 600 pro over my 800 because the sled is more controlable in the trees. Thanks for any help!

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
So I have been putting some serious thought into doing a 2013 polaris pro chassis with a phazer motor conversion turbo! I feel a 140hp on boosted 4stroke is a hell of alot better then 140hp on 2stroke 800, so if you could provide me with some great information on good or bad and help persuade me to do this project! My riding style is really technical lines, were you use alot of balance and throttle control. I ride cooke city, togwotee, and colorado alot! I have ridden bigger turbo sleds and the extra hp is not needed I mostly ride a 600 pro over my 800 because the sled is more controlable in the trees. Thanks for any help!

If you wanna make a great boosted Phizzer, I recommend a sooper on it.

G

gasholic

Dec 15, 2007
Idaho
going Phazer

I am seriously thinking of selling my 800 summit XRS and buying a Phazer. I am tired of the expense of a 2 stroke. Are there any problems like belt problems or others.
From comments I've read it sounds like a fun easy sled to ride.

Thanks
gas

C
Dec 29, 2013
Phazer sputtering off idle

I have an 08 Phazer MTX that sputters off idle and sometimes shuts off. I just recently change the throttle body joints(rubber goose necks I call them) worked fine before but now sputtering off idle but fine after that still has all power. What could it be? rechecked everything all is hooked up right , could it be the plugs getting bad? also checked for codes in the computer and all zeros. Also the heated grips stopped working, but thumb warmer still works. what could it be?

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Check the throttle cable adjustment... if it isn't adjusted properly, it can activate the TORS system momentarily, causing a stutter when you hit the flipper.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have TWO boosted Phazers for sale. Supercharged one has 153 nytro track and only 467 miles and looks just like brand new, also has SRX secondary clutch and new Camoplast all terrain skis (stops infamous Phazer darting)....its a rocket. 160 hp if I remember right, Matt is that right? $6500 consigned at Coyote Motorsports in Denver where we bought a new Viper.

Other Phazer is my last years ride a Turbo Phazer with Mountain Max secondary clutch and automotive boost enabled fuel pressure regulator, trick front shocks,Etc. 1886 miles, on consignment at motorado.com for $5k. I think it is still listed in the Yamaha for sale on this forum.

BOTH Phazers all updates done including "cold start update".

Boosted phazers rock, but put a Nytro skid and track in one and make the track approach angle same as my 2014 M8 and you would be amazed. Only reason we upgraded was to get the girlfriend a new Viper.

NOW, turbo Phazer takes off like a really hot stock one, skis in the air for a few feet then lights up. Supercharged one makes your arms hurt from hanging on from takeoff....lol. Both fast just depends on how you like them.

Premium Features