• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The new GoPro 9 Hero Black...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And it looks like they are moving to a SUBSCRIPTION basis as well.
Includes some nice discounts.

GoPro PLUS Accessories Discounts
by GoPro
GoPro
on ‎11-11-2019 06:14 PM - edited 2 weeks ago

Subscribe to GoPro PLUS and get up to 50% off Mounts + Accessories on gopro.com
Discounts vary per product, see the complete list below. Subscribers can sign-in and see discounted prices at GoPro.com/shop.

Batteries
Mounts
Mods
Protection
Bags + cases
All other accessories

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Looks interesting. I'm gonna hold out and see if they do the trade in program for $100 off like they've done in all the last couple releases. I got a pile of old broken GoPros sitting around. ;) GP+ sub is $50 so basically it's $50 off unless you are really stoked on their service. No questions asked camera replacement is sweet, I would worry less about breaking it and probably take more risks with mounting, but I have plenty of older GoPros to do that with. Rest of the sub doesn't excite me. Not sure I wanna store my video files on the cloud, uploading a 64GB card would blow away my monthly data allotment from my ISP. I easily can burn 500G data a month with GoPro footage. Hard drives are cheap, data overages are not plus its slow to upload.

Biggest win for me is the larger sensor and bigger battery. Winter is hard on GP8 batteries, I generally carry at least four to film a decent sledding day. I hate when I go to fire a shot and the battery is dead or close and I have to quickly try to swap battery and loose the shot. Worse swapping batteries in a snowstorm. Not excited about it getting bigger, but I get it with battery and sensor. I do a lot of filming outside of sledding and the front screen for vlogging is nice, been thinking about getting a mic so it would tie in nicely. I've been trying to put a more personal spin on my videos with talking heads so that's a nice feature.

Last of all is Hypersmooth 3.0.. 2.0 was a big jump and its nothing short of amazing for me after years of using gimbals. I love not having to bring a extra piece of equipment and the time it takes to setup a gimbal not to mention most aren't waterproof or are very expensive when you add in waterproofing. Biggest drawback of Hypersmooth was the crop which really is evident when filming mountain biking. I actually started turning off hypersmooth this summer to capture the cool arms and bars look. With that new wide angle lens it looks like it'll cure that problem. But, do I want to be changing out lens in a snow storm? Probably not so that locks me into the fishbowl fisheye view. I switch the camera views a lot during the day from Superview on 1st person to Linear if I'm catching a shot of someone carving a pow line by me. It's not clear to me how that lens will effect settings like Linear.

So yeah, someone go buy one, record straight for a couple hours in below 25 degree weather and share some of the Hypersmooth footage! I'm sure I'll buy one by November though so ask me then. ;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks interesting. I'm gonna hold out and see if they do the trade in program for $100 off like they've done in all the last couple releases. I got a pile of old broken GoPros sitting around. ;) GP+ sub is $50 so basically it's $50 off unless you are really stoked on their service. N
That was my thought as well
And YES, they are offering -$100 off for a trade in..
Only problem is you start off at $100 MORE than the current new deal..
So there is NO DEAL at all.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Biggest win for me is the larger sensor and bigger battery.
Winter is hard on GP8 batteries, I generally carry at least four to film a decent sledding day. I hate when I go to fire a shot and the battery is dead or close and I have to quickly try to swap battery and loose the shot. Worse swapping batteries in a snowstorm. Not excited about it getting bigger, but I get it with battery and sensor. I do a lot of filming outside of sledding and the front screen for vlogging is nice, been thinking about getting a mic so it would tie in nicely. I've been trying to put a more personal spin on my videos with talking heads so that's a nice feature.
And that was what caught my eye as well.
ANYTHING to get longer life on the battery.
When it gets COLD, really COLD, the batteries just take a beating!
I am fine of the camera grows a "Little Bit" to accommodate a longer life battery.

I will be picking up 1 or 2 of these cameras in the next month.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
I think I'm in. Just saw a video review and they put it in the freezer. Not surprising, they don't turn on after sitting in the cold. But It seemed to last quite a bit longer than the 8 when starting warm. I usually store my in the goggle bag on the way out so the batteries and camera stay warm

Below is the review

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, I would think it would be a TOUGH SELL to get one to work that has been FULLY REFRIGERATED by a days riding.
I also try to keep them as warm as I can prior to use.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
@christopher I broke down and bought a GoPro Hero 9, took it out last Sunday. Only used it for about two/three hours but so far I'm impressed. Battery lasted the whole time, filmed a couple long segments riding back to the truck without any issues. Still figuring it out but I really like the front screen cause I talk to myself a lot!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
@christopher I broke down and bought a GoPro Hero 9, took it out last Sunday. Only used it for about two/three hours but so far I'm impressed. Battery lasted the whole time, filmed a couple long segments riding back to the truck without any issues. Still figuring it out but I really like the front screen cause I talk to myself a lot!

ONE BATTERY for HOURS of WINTER use?????????????

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
ONE BATTERY for HOURS of WINTER use?????????????

Well to be fair it wasn't on the entire time, but I was filming with GP7 Black and GP8 Black also and had to swap batteries on both of those. I was preserving the GP9 for the money shots so probably got a little less usage. Hype was high on first day so I wasn't paying attention to it very closely, next ride I'll pay a little more attention and see how well it does.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It is really awesome.(y)
So I am picking up one of the new Hero10 Blacks with the new updated High-Performance ENDURO Battery for this season.
EnduroTease3[1].jpg

LOVED the Hero9 last year...

Premium Features