• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The future for yamaha

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
I would suggest Yamaha shoot for something better than the G4. Ski Doo makes the heaviest 2 stroke, widest most ill handling deep snow sled on the market. Start shooting for Axys handling with Yammi reliability and you have something to shoot for.

I don't know how you can say its the most Ill handling! The axys, and doo are both awesome in their own respect. After spending a good amount of time on all the the big three, I always seem to keep coming back Doo. But you are correct that they should try and make something better....competition drives innovation.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
What about a yamaha ready built snowbike? That would be the best... or team up with polaris and put a timbersled on a pourpse built turn key and go yz450f? With all the snow additions i think that would sell like crazy too...

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
What about a yamaha ready built snowbike? That would be the best... or team up with polaris and put a timbersled on a pourpse built turn key and go yz450f? With all the snow additions i think that would sell like crazy too...

From what i have been hearing AC is testing a mono ski on the Alpha, if that is true. Snowbikes will be a thing of the past. Yamaha has always been more than capable and it should be interesting for the years to come.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I don't know how you can say its the most Ill handling! The axys, and doo are both awesome in their own respect. After spending a good amount of time on all the the big three, I always seem to keep coming back Doo. But you are correct that they should try and make something better....competition drives innovation.

I agree.. I've driven them all, Doo Gen 4 Summit is my favorite by far.

Imagine if Yamaha came out with something like the Niken, only with a track and two skis.. Lock the front suspension for the trail ride in, then unlock for off trail maneuverability... Then couple that to the Alpha skid. You would have snowbike ease of use, with conventional snowmobile stability.

Attachments

• niken4.jpg
    niken4.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 164
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I would suggest Yamaha shoot for something better than the G4. Ski Doo makes the heaviest 2 stroke, widest most ill handling deep snow sled on the market. Start shooting for Axys handling with Yammi reliability and you have something to shoot for.

Not sure where you are getting your info from, but the Summit is not the heaviest.. Here are the weights for you, directly from each manufacturer's website.

M8000 Mountain Cat
457 lb - 153 in.
463 lb - 162 in.

M8000 Mountain Cat Alpha
446 lb - 153 in.
451 lb - 165 in.

Ski-doo Summit X
439 lb - 154 in.
446 lb - 165 in.
454 lb - 175 in.

The Ski-doo in my opinion, would be a great target to shoot for. Especially considering Ski-doo is number one in sales.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

My g4 was and still is my all time favorite sled for everything. I've had apex's, nytro's, viper's, axys, (haven't had cat yet). The G4 was a flat out package deal and awesome.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Poo is #1 in sales... at least in mtn sleds... but i agree with the weights and ski doo does make a great sled

BRP owns almost %50 of the total market share. We are getting a little off topic here, but I feel like Yamaha could easily take back the number one spot if they were willing to get into the two stroke market again.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Yamaha has recently filed for a patent for a carbon fiber-reinforced chassis for a snowmobile & a trademark issued for the name "Mountain Max"! Coincidence??

That would be fantastic. Yamaha has a killer motor. Rode a King Cat for a day a couple years ago. Sweet motor but a nose heavy pig to ride in the deep. If they could figure a way to balance everything out and make it ride similar to a two stroke, I would definitely be interested. We have all heard the story about the next big thing coming from Yamaha. They could do it. They have the resources to turn the snowmobile industry on its head. They just chose not to do it.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Yamaha has recently filed for a patent for a carbon fiber-reinforced chassis for a snowmobile & a trademark issued for the name "Mountain Max"! Coincidence??
They keep screwing up the legacy these names had, when someone used to talk about all the good memories they had on a phazer than they come out with the poor selling goofy 4 stroke they had they kindof tarnished the name in my eyes...i think if they are going to bring back the mtn max it better be just as good or better as the old ones were in there day.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Yes right on mountain max. 4 stroke should not be in the same sentence. I was a faithful Yamaha owner until rx1.

Premium Features