• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The future for yamaha

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Its NOT going to happen.
Yamaha is committed to FOUR STROKE.

BUT

Make absolutely no mistake about it.
Yamaha DOES have the Technology and Manufacturing capability of producing a HIGH HORSEPOWER LOW WEIGHT Engine.

They just don't see the market share for sales in the Mountain Segment to justify the capitol investment. Its just a matter of Return on Investment to Corporate HQ.
... lol cant imagine the ROI on sleds has been anything to crow about the last 10 years. They need to change something, mountain sleds have the ability to outsell any other model (see Pro RMK). Either get in the game or GET OUT. The 4 stroke thing just isnt workin, not the way they are doin it. Just my thoughts.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Its NOT going to happen.
Yamaha is committed to FOUR STROKE.

BUT

Make absolutely no mistake about it.
Yamaha DOES have the Technology and Manufacturing capability of producing a HIGH HORSEPOWER LOW WEIGHT Engine.

They just don't see the market share for sales in the Mountain Segment to justify the capitol investment. Its just a matter of Return on Investment to Corporate HQ.

I dont understand how the mtn market isnt worth investing in for them... heck overall i wouldent be suprused if it is the main sled market rightbow.... i know back east there is alot more people to buy sleds and all they really own in trail sleds but it shure seems per capada out west here in the mtn's way more people sled... also yamaha will prob never be on top with a 4 stroke... regardless of what they do with the frame... if anything probally continue too loose customers trying and not likeing the 4 stoke.....BUT the innovation is cool, the supercharger and tunnel are cool and im glad they are going back to innovating and driveing foward the market not sitting watching ac do it for them

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I dont understand how the mtn market isnt worth investing in for them... heck overall i wouldent be suprused if it is the main sled market rightbow.... i know back east there is alot more people to buy sleds and all they really own in trail sleds but it shure seems per capada out west here in the mtn's way more people sled... also yamaha will prob never be on top with a 4 stroke... regardless of what they do with the frame... if anything probally continue too loose customers trying and not likeing the 4 stoke.....BUT the innovation is cool, the supercharger and tunnel are cool and im glad they are going back to innovating and driveing foward the market not sitting watching ac do it for them

Mountain sleds make up about 30% of the market. It is a big piece of pie in my opinion, but it is dominated by lightweight 2 strokes. Which is also something Yamaha has no interest in.

p.s. It helps to proof read your posts.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Reliable, lightweight and hi performance won't be cheap that's the problem.

I didn't say anything about light weight..

I'll happily take a 475lb (dry) 162 Yamaha 800 Mountain Max that don't blow belts/spark plugs, has a reliable track, strong bulkhead/a-arms, decent electrical components, and exceptional fit and finish. I want the engine to be bullet proof.. Should easily do 10,000 kms without a rebuild of any kind.

Problem is, people want 400lb sleds that run on a hope and a prayer for 3-4 years while it has warranty.. Then they sell it and get a new one. I understand you want to have the most fun possible, and a light sled helps.. I just can't stand bringing a new sled back to the dealer for issues that really should exist in a $20 000 snowmobile. You don't see this in any other industry.. So why is it acceptable in the snowmobile industry? Simply put, because we let it.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I didn't say anything about light weight..

I'll happily take a 475lb (dry) 162 Yamaha 800 Mountain Max that don't blow belts/spark plugs, has a reliable track, strong bulkhead/a-arms, decent electrical components, and exceptional fit and finish. I want the engine to be bullet proof.. Should easily do 10,000 kms without a rebuild of any kind.

Problem is, people want 400lb sleds that run on a hope and a prayer for 3-4 years while it has warranty.. Then they sell it and get a new one. I understand you want to have the most fun possible, and a light sled helps.. I just can't stand bringing a new sled back to the dealer for issues that really should exist in a $20 000 snowmobile. You don't see this in any other industry.. So why is it acceptable in the snowmobile industry? Simply put, because we let it.

It is mostly the Polaris guys fault... Read some of the defenses of those problem ridden machines by loyalists. Loyalists that have been burned before by the same company. They keep sending money, they keep getting burned. I swore that brand off and accepted a weight penalty for a bunch more durability. I can't go the current 150 lbs heavier Sidewinder but as mentioned, if they could get it to 450-460 and truly durable, I am in.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
I think its not right to point the finger at one brand, all sleds have issues, polaris has had bad moters, doo clutches and just about everything around the moter, and ac had some pretty dark days with the dimond drive and electrical.... and now rails...yamaha isnt perfect also... i dont think these are throw away sleds to begin with you have to put it into perspective they have come a long way... in the days of the old triples getting 10000k was almost impossable.. i dont think they are any less reliable than before...

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Depressing

Man, this thread is so depressing, mostly just because I truly don't believe Yamaha will do a darn thing that I am even semi-interested in.

I'm right now currently selling a 99 MM 700 that my dad bought brand new. That machine has NEVER been towed back in 20 years and 5,600 miles. And it was freaking fun to ride back in the day!! I used to just love Yamaha.

The most pathetic part is this. They could come out with a sled tomorrow that has specs only as impressive as the 1982 Bravo 250 and it would outsell the sidewinder 10:1 in the west.

http://www.amsnow.com/news/vintage/2007/09/yamaha-bravo-250

281 pounds
18 HP
30" ski stance

Every single dad with a Tween would buy at least one as the kid grows out of the snoscoot and onto the new 2020 Bravo.

Then they could re-introduce a model with specs only as impressive as the 1984 Phazer and it also would outsell the sidewinder MTX 10:1 in the mountains as every dad buys one of those for the kid who outgrows the Bravo but isn't quite ready for a full size sled yet.

388 pounds
52 HP
34" ski stance

Neither of those spec sheets from the early 80's represent anything that should be even semi-difficult for the most bare-bones engineering department to hit, and yet, sleds built to those specs at anything resembling a decent price would completely take over the market for youth snowmobiles. Problem is, I grow more and more convinced every day that the Yamaha Snowmobiles engineering department really just doesn't even exist anymore.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I think its not right to point the finger at one brand, all sleds have issues, polaris has had bad moters, doo clutches and just about everything around the moter, and ac had some pretty dark days with the dimond drive and electrical.... and now rails...yamaha isnt perfect also... i dont think these are throw away sleds to begin with you have to put it into perspective they have come a long way... in the days of the old triples getting 10000k was almost impossable.. i dont think they are any less reliable than before...

What triples are you talking about? Can't be Yamaha engines...

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Any one of them... incl yamaha... ya maby may have been some that lasted that long.... but i havent ever seen one with my own eyes that got a top end at least regardless of because it went down or regular repairs before it hit the 10k mark

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Any one of them... incl yamaha... ya maby may have been some that lasted that long.... but i havent ever seen one with my own eyes that got a top end at least regardless of because it went down or regular repairs before it hit the 10k mark

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
The most pathetic part is this. They could come out with a sled tomorrow that has specs only as impressive as the 1982 Bravo 250 and it would outsell the sidewinder 10:1 in the west.

http://www.amsnow.com/news/vintage/2007/09/yamaha-bravo-250

281 pounds
18 HP
30" ski stance

Every single dad with a Tween would buy at least one as the kid grows out of the snoscoot and onto the new 2020 Bravo.

Then they could re-introduce a model with specs only as impressive as the 1984 Phazer and it also would outsell the sidewinder MTX 10:1 in the mountains as every dad buys one of those for the kid who outgrows the Bravo but isn't quite ready for a full size sled yet.

388 pounds
52 HP
34" ski stance

I learned to ride on a 300 and 250 enticer and then a bravo in the 80's and early 90's. AS cool as sleds are today, you can not beat the experience I had on those sleds as a kid.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Hmmm

0842c4de01d84e808cae0a51e3d0ad91.jpeg

Yamaha alpha?

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I see everyones calling fake on facebook... If thats fake someone really put some serious effort into it. Looks pretty legit to me.

I would buy. Seriously. Even without knowing any details my plans of keeping my 840 or going to a Cat are on hold for now.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It appears as though alot of people still dont realize Yamaha has been using Cats chassis since 2014 LOL. Who knows, very well could be fake, but going through the trouble to name the front and rear suspensions and having a custom seat really has me wondering.

Premium Features