• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tethered brake safety idea

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
I've been watching various sled videos on youtube and the one thing that seems like it'd help in keeping sleds from getting destroyed (other than not screwing up when riding) is some sort of spring activated brake that trips via tether when you fall off. A lot of the sleds seem to start down a hill in such a way that with the brake on, they'd probably stop.

Ever heard of such a thing?

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
depends on the situation.......think what happens if your goin down a steep hill and jus lock the brakes. Tail slides around and ya fly off and sleds sideways now starting a roll. It would do this every time (which sometimes could defiantly help by maybe rolling once and getting stuck) but other times it rides down nicely on its feet and misses everything and stops. Would be so hard to decide if you wanted brakes on or not I think..........Now a remote control brake system if ya fall off and can see it could save a guy! haha

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I have also thought about this for several years.
Knowing how big a difference in rolling resistance it is just between when the engine is running and not the tether brake would not have to brake very hard to make a difference, and as Snopro said, locking the track is not a good thing.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
an abs type system that pushes on and off the brakes when you fall off would be ideal

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
maybe the way to think of it would be to apply light brake pressure only. Not enough to lock up the track, but high enough to add an impact.

It might be easier to modify the clutching so that the non-running engine would do most of the braking...

L
Jun 8, 2011
what if you had a remote activated piano on the tunnel so when you fly off the piano comes off too and brings the sled to a gentle stop?
just thinking out loud here

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Most guys can't stop their sled while ON it...why would it stop if the brake is locked up while ghosting.

Only thing I can think of that would work is a.....

Tunnel Monkey.

That's the ONLY way to stop a downhill sled. When you fall off, you trigger a remote switch that releases the Tunnel Monkey bungee chord. The patented Tunnel Monkey climbs up to your handlebars, hits the reverse button, and works the throttle until your sled is slightly dug in and comes to a complete stop.

He will know his job is done when you lay him back down on that cold wet tunnel and strap him back down.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
All I know is I fell off once while sidehilling in waist-deep snow, and watched as my sled trundled slowly down the hill headed right for a dropoff. There was no way I could catch it. Fortunately a riding buddy saw what happened and shot in on his sled, catching one of the skiis on mine and stopping it. The brake would have easily stopped the sled in this case.

Hitting the brake while sliding down the hill at Jackson Hole? Not so much.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Hood sticker.....

trunkmonkeylogo.jpg

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
A couple guys had one on the market for a while I had one on my old RX-1, they went out of business it was called E-brake. Below is an article about it.

E-Brake

The emergency braking system for your sled.

Jan. 01, 2003By Bob Alger

Email
Print
Discuss

Steve Caple of E-Brake, Inc. has patented an emergency braking system that will stop your sled in the event of an unplanned dismount. The system is simply called E-Brake. The E-Brake replaces the OEM brake lever with a lever that has an integrated tether that, when released, activates the sled's brake master cylinder and stops the sled in a controlled manner. This system greatly reduces the potential for damage to the sled and surrounding people and property should the operator get separated from the sled. This is especially true in situations where the sled might have a chance to freewheel for a great distance before naturally coming to a stop. Over the years I've witnessed several "sled getaways" that would have been prevented with the E-Brake. One example was a fellow trying to start his sled in a large field behind a local pitstop. He was pulling and pulling with no luck. Deciding it must be flooded; he squeezed the throttle in one hand and grabbed the cord in the other and continued pulling. After a few more tugs it finally started. The problem started when he didn't let go of the throttle soon enough and the clutch engaged sending the sled on its way across the field with the owner standing there dumbfounded. Normally the sled would have rolled a few yards and come to a rest as the engine idled back down. But in this case the field gently sloped away from where the sled was parked which allowed the sled to ever so slightly pick up speed as it crossed the field. The sled eventually did come to a stop after about 100 yards ----- in the bottom of a gully smashed amongst the trees. If this sled had been equipped with an E-Brake, the brakes would have been applied the instant the tether, worn on the driver's wrist, released.

Arctic Cat OEM brake lever.
click for larger image

I recently received my E-Brake to install on my 2002 ZL800SS. Installation could not have been easier. The E-Brake is a direct replacement for the OEM brake lever. The installation directions can be summed up in a single sentence. Remove the single bolt attaching the OEM lever, slide out the old lever, slide in the E-Brake, and reinstall the bolt. That's it.

E-Brake brake lever.
click for larger image

The E-Brake tether attaches to the rider with a lanyard worn around the wrist. The lanyard is designed to tear-away should the tether get caught on the sled, an important safety feature that prevents the rider from being dragged. Attention to details like this accompanied by high quality materials and workmanship make the E-Brake a valuable addition to any sled. Whether you ride the mountains or the flat lands, the E-Brake can help prevent costly damage to your sled and injury to yourself.

Contact the Manufacturer

E-Brake, Inc.
0230 Canyon Creek Drive
Glenwood Springs, Colorado 81601
970-947-9894
ebrake@fibernet.net
www.ebrake.net

Contact Us

Snow@Off-Road.com

Forever Seeking Snow

Email
Print
Discuss

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
←snow∞motion→;3040106 said:
WOW, HMMM, all I can say is.....

Free-time? :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-hap

That took all of about :30 per pic. LOL

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Bwahahaha SCOTT! :bounce:

Only because he's had that monkey PhotoShop'd and patiently waiting the most perfect opportunity! ;)

No way...that thing was EASY to Google and then cut and paste. LOL
That whole deal really only took a few mins. LMAO.

However, I think Tunnel Monkey could really take off though.

Looter? NMFH? Tunnel Monkey!!

Premium Features