• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Test Voltage Regulator?

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Is there a way to test the Voltage Regulator on my '12 Pro? Sled was acting up a couple weeks ago, cutting in and out when I hit the gas. Tried bypassing TSS, nothing. I got it home and now it won't run. To the point of no firing. Tested fuel pressure (58psi constant), checked for spark (has good spark), tested my stator (all within spec), then I checked the chassis grounds and they're good, disconnected everything to the bars to eliminate any pinched wires and nothing. I also tested the capacitor by putting 12v to it and see if it stored voltage. And it did, this time when I reconnected the capacitor the sled fired up for a second then died. Am I looking into voltage regulators? How do I test them to see if they're bad. Any input is appreciated. I also gave power to the ecm and I have no codes coming up.

Last edited:

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
sled

We have had the capacitor hold charge and still be faulty.
On more than one sled.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Borrow one from a buddy. Two bolts and a couple of connectors. Pretty sure all the 11-15 800 Pro's and Assaults are the same. You could verify PN's of replacement regulators on Polaris.com website.

I had to do this on a '13. Unfortunately, the regulator I put in place from a friends working '14 Pro didn't make any difference. So it was off to replace the stator. USD 400 part ! But it worked when done.

Last edited:
H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Yeah I tried a different working voltage regulator and did nothing. I did a test on the stator, the how to on here as well as what a Polaris mechanic told me, both were the same. The outcome was that the stator tested good so until absolutely sure I want to avoid spending anything on that. Under the capacitor is another voltage regulator, correct? What is the function of that one.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
13 pro voltage regulator digital wrench said it was good Mechanic drove sled said it was regulator put new on and fixed my issue.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Oh yeah okay, yeah I swapped the AC/DC voltage regulator, and nothing. Reading more into it the other regulator under the capacitor is the DC regulator. I want to swap that one and see if it makes a difference. Tested the capacitor again as well seems okay.

Premium Features