• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Temp talk.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Gawd...these 4 stroke riders. Every time we stop. Whats your temp?

Maybe everyone can put their temp in every possible situation in one place so these relentless temp-talkers can have a reference to read.

Temp up the trail?
Temp when you opened the trailer door?
Temp when you fell into a tree well because you were watching your temp?
Temp after lunch?

T
Dec 11, 2019
Current Setup:
2019 YZ450F
T/S Riot
Thermo Bob
Vinyl Engine Covers / Skid Plate

Trail temp: 180-205F (Depending on trail conditions)
Very deep snow: 165-180F
Cold start from the trailer: (had to jump start once or twice cause of Yamaha's OEM battery) but as warm as 25 to -15F
Temp once digging out or falling off the bike from running temp: 140-165F
Typical start after lunch, depending on how long it sat for could range from 80F to 100F.

To many variables to give consistent numbers of temp. This is my first snow bike and one thing I have learned is that it is a constant cat and mouse game. Some days the temps will stay spot on. Other days when the snow conditions are very deep it can be a bit more challenging. I go run radiator blockers when my temps are too low, typically on the right side. I change my oil after every ride for insurance. I learn something new every ride. But regardless its the most fun I've ever had on the snow.

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
2 stroke exhaust temps are low too. I had a mishap and my lower radiator hose came off. I tried to melt snow in a shovel handle to top it off on 2 stroke (jeapordy music). Then switched to buddys 450 exhaust and almost burned my hand.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
well personally I keep an eye on temp just so I can tell if there's an issue.. my first bike kit, so call me obsessive if you must lol..
just don't see the harm in looking at temps to protect a $5k (??) -ish engine .. m
That and I built my own snow blanket, so curious to see if the thing works.. and it does! Deeeeep snow and I'm 180+, without rads covered.
Best part? The hot dogger produces a nice warm lunch :p

2576BFBB-CC07-413E-B657-802A905AB481.jpeg

B
Mar 22, 2017
well personally I keep an eye on temp just so I can tell if there's an issue.. my first bike kit, so call me obsessive if you must lol..
just don't see the harm in looking at temps to protect a $5k (??) -ish engine .. m
That and I built my own snow blanket, so curious to see if the thing works.. and it does! Deeeeep snow and I'm 180+, without rads covered.
Best part? The hot dogger produces a nice warm lunch :p
You have a hot dog cooker on your bike?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Temp in my buddies heated garage is 65. Occasionally we crank it up to 85 to melt the snow!

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
You have a hot dog cooker on your bike?
certainly do! Smoked brisket chilli and hot bun on the menu yesterday :p Removed that vinyl cover, and it sits behind the engine cover now. An hour or two of running, and she's steamy goodness !

1CD8EEDA-A2FA-49D3-9A2E-DBDBA5A3564A.jpeg 4428AFC6-743A-4116-8D55-C59BA280E983.jpeg

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
certainly do! Smoked brisket chilli and hot bun on the menu yesterday :p Removed that vinyl cover, and it sits behind the engine cover now. An hour or two of running, and she's steamy goodness !

I do too, first I made a insulated cover for my muff pot and keep it mounted behind my engine blanket, melts the cheese on a sandwich and my buddies are eating frozen granola bars.8C76A20A-9032-468A-8A83-C1E9000C29E3.jpeg

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
?
Brilliant!
Have you made any others of those covers

2 years ago I made up about a dozen and gave them away so a wide range of bikes could test them out. What little feedback I got was not as promising as hoped so it got moved to the back burner. After discovering it works way better behind an engine blanket I can see making another batch up in the off season for next year if interest is there.

In the spirit of this thread.... my 4 strokes temperature is running around 0 c while it waits in the garage for this weekends shannagins.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
2 years ago I made up about a dozen and gave them away so a wide range of bikes could test them out. What little feedback I got was not as promising as hoped so it got moved to the back burner. After discovering it works way better behind an engine blanket I can see making another batch up in the off season for next year if interest is there.

In the spirit of this thread.... my 4 strokes temperature is running around 0 c while it waits in the garage for this weekends shannagins.

Add me to the list if you do! Need the cooker for measurements? I look to have a different brand cooker is all..
and my bike is at +6* and holding in the trailer, just waiting for me to hook up and go :LOL:
Edit : I'd take two for myself, and one for a buddy..

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
riding my older ktm on a week dual sport/dirt track ride at high altitude for a week, I would have to blow by the group on occasion and ride fast for 10 minutes and get the 230 degrees temp down on my bike. Around the campfire a couple of guys wanted to know why my KTM was over heating, the answer was all our bikes were over heating but I knew it from the temp gauge left from it being a snow bike. Bull chit was always the answer to that, but before the week was over we had a boiled over Beta and a blown hose on a newer KTM 350 that had a fan problem.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I run with just a snow shield thermo bob and snow deflector on the back side of the engine.

Temps are as follows

- In the closed trailer + 5 thermostat is set to that .
- on the trail -- don't know.
- In the deep snow -- See comment above
- cooling of while having some coffee ( no lunch I am fat enough to ride for a week straight without food)

Seriously I never loose coolant (stock cap) and I never have any condensation in the oil
Bike always makes good power. I am not realy sure what all the fuss is about.
I have run this same set up since 2012 with 3 different bikes same result just works.

I do however run aluminium rad louvers 1/3 taped of, they always loose the ice for the trail outs.

I am with you --- what is all the fuss about???

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Any hot temp tips for the new season?

Our group has found that if you drain the majority of the coolant out of the 4 strokes, they will run much warmer. The coolant is really the issue. It’s cooling the motor.

Also saves weight.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
a heat exchanger and a thermostat and you don't have to worry about temps. Radiators in the snow, wrong sport, wrong application, never worked on sleds, never will work correctly on sno bike.

Premium Features