• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Temp monitoring and yamaha app.

N
Mar 13, 2020
Setting up a 2020 yz450fx for this winter anyone try using the Yamaha app with a phone mounted on the handle bars to monitor temp? Can anyone think of a reason it wont work? Providing the phone is being charged all the time.

Just installing a simple temp gauge will be easier, cheaper and more accurate. With the app you'll have to deal with your phone screen shutting off and the app disconnecting every time the bike is shut off for 2 minutes. Not to mention the wear and tear on your phone along with potentially loosing it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Just installing a simple temp gauge will be easier, cheaper and more accurate. With the app you'll have to deal with your phone screen shutting off and the app disconnecting every time the bike is shut off for 2 minutes. Not to mention the wear and tear on your phone along with potentially loosing it.
IM with him, heck of an excuse to strap a $1000 smart phone to your bars. not the best place for them. Cheap inline temp gauge is easy and you dont have to worry about it.

You could definately use the app to check and dial things in on your setup. but once you have a consistent combo a temp gauge isn't really that necessary.

N
Mar 13, 2020
Fair enough. For whatever reason I didnt think about having to reconnect the app after every start. That's enough reason in itself to not use it.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I agree with not putting an expensive phone on the bars but I've got buckets of old androids from 10 years ago that aren't worth a penny but work great as a gps mp3 or Even my torque app in my car. Just delete your account info and run without Google apps so if someone ever finds it there is no chance of identify theft. As for it shutting off there may be a solution to use a small battery and a diode somewhere but would have to see a schematic.

Premium Features