• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Telescopic Steering Post

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
This came stock on my old 2010 M-8 and I really liked it. I could lower the handlebars and really rail the corners on the way to the powder. Anybody used it on the 19/20 alpha? Does it have enough adjustability to at least match the height of the stock fixed vertical steering post on the 2020 M-8000 Alpha? How difficult it it to install? see link below

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
They came stock up to around '15. I never had a problem with the stocker on my '14 other than height. All the way down they are roughly the same height as the stock height riser on the newer fixed post sleds.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Sloppy junk and too tall even at lowest setting, and no give if you crash, I have a permanent dent in my left thigh from that sloppy junk

jason_hildo

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2010
I loved mine, they were a little sloppy but with some aftermarket bushings they were very workable. I don't get the hate for them.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have no idea how they would fit on an Accender platform but, I suspect they would fit just like on a Proclimb? I had the telescoping handlebars on my 09 M8 (first year of it) and I have it on my 15 M8000 (last year of it). I too have heard how everyone hates them, but I added the BDX bushings to tighten up things and it helped a lot. I also added an AMP bar riser that really does raise the bars but moves the bars an 1 1/2" forward to help keep them out of your gut when turning. I lower them at the beginning of every ride and raise them according to conditions. On the way back to the trucks they get moved back the the low position and like you said, you rail down the trails. I have never had a problem with one breaking after riding this setup continually since 2009. I encourage you to do what you'd like to make the sled your own. Best of luck!

R
Feb 26, 2008
The riot x has the telescopic post. Also its supposed to be lower than the older ones but I never actually paid attention.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I guess I was always backwards from how everyone else says they used them. I'd ride most of my day with them all the way down for technical riding and sidehilling then raise them up for standing up flying down whooped out trails. Had the rox risers on them that moved the bars 2" forward. When I went to the fixed post I went 2" lower than the adjustable on the lowest setting.

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
I think they work pretty good. Can't say i've ever used them in the lowest position unless rolling sled over. Actually wish they were 1-1.5" taller for us tall guys. They can get some slop in them but heck, look at any sleds steering......they're not exactly built like a piano.

E
Feb 22, 2009
I think they work pretty good. Can't say i've ever used them in the lowest position unless rolling sled over. Actually wish they were 1-1.5" taller for us tall guys. They can get some slop in them but heck, look at any sleds steering......they're not exactly built like a piano.

You really should try a lower bar setup SnoPro75 you will have way more control of your sled and it will make you a better rider, secret is to invest in a good set of knee pads and get into the box on the sled move way forward and put your feet in the stirrups, drop your bars and you will automatically be a better rider

To answer your question yes you can put the adjustable post on the alpha, it’s a fairly straight forward easy install

The part number is 6639-994 and it’s $451.45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
You really should try a lower bar setup SnoPro75 you will have way more control of your sled and it will make you a better rider,,,,,,drop your bars and you will automatically be a better rider
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% disagree with this Burantism,,, depends on your height. I’m 6’2” on the boards. The stock riser has me hunched over with headaches from the strain on the muscles at the back of my neck, unless I were to just sit and ride. I need a riser to remotely stand upright or even an attack position. Zero gain to lower your riser unless your body height corresponds to a reduction. My 5’9” friends however, do lower the riser and it works better for them no question.

I’ve only ever broken those adjustable posts from cat. They get super sloppy unless you’re a mellower rider, get aggressive in some timber and it’ll get sloppy and be a break potential out in the back country. Great concept though.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Hit a stump, rock, tree, wall.... and the non-adjustable post(pivot riser) will fold forward when ur body slams against it.
The telescoping post doesn't have that ability, it hurts u more and has the potential for breaking.

The telescoping post pushes u back on the sled, the pivot riser allows u to set it in a forward position (i like it at 90° to the concrete floor) allows the rider to move forward 2in and stand in a more natural position. So much more comfortable and better control of the sled.

I won't even discuss the telescoping post letting loose in a climb.....

Sent it

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
With the telescoping post up its putting you way to far back to ride this sled correctly, as it goes up it goes back

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Im 6'5" and went an inch lower than the stock riser height. But all we do is tree riding. The lower bars keep you farther forward and dont let get so much leverage while going uphill and keeps the front down more. Yes its a little more uncomfortable but its a trade off for more control especially on steep sidehills

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Im 6'5" and went an inch lower than the stock riser height. But all we do is tree riding. The lower bars keep you farther forward and dont let get so much leverage while going uphill and keeps the front down more. Yes its a little more uncomfortable but its a trade off for more control especially on steep sidehills

Sorry to go off topic a bit here but Please explain how lower bars equals more control. I see people say this quite often but the logic to it doesn’t make sense to me unless you’re shorter than average, not the case at 6’5”.

You mentioned you get less leverage and puts you in an uncomfortable position with lower bars. Which is true, less leverage means more effort to do the same work, uncomfortable position means your arms/upper body position aren’t in their most efficient position, eg; you’re hunched over and probably wrists are bent rather than being aligned with your forearms meaning you have less strength to deal with an unsuspecting movement in the sled or to physically move sled.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Sorry to go off topic a bit here but Please explain how lower bars equals more control. I see people say this quite often but the logic to it doesn’t make sense to me unless you’re shorter than average, not the case at 6’5”.

You mentioned you get less leverage and puts you in an uncomfortable position with lower bars. Which is true, less leverage means more effort to do the same work, uncomfortable position means your arms/upper body position aren’t in their most efficient position, eg; you’re hunched over and probably wrists are bent rather than being aligned with your forearms meaning you have less strength to deal with an unsuspecting movement in the sled or to physically move sled.
I'm 6'3" and agree on the lower bars being better. Rasmussen had a great vid on it years ago but when you're on edge and the sled wants to fall over down the slope the lower bars have less leverage on your body and don't try to pull you over the sled and down the slope so it's easier to keep it in control and pull the sled back into the slope. It also forces you into a knees bent ready position and when you are wrong foot forward especially when using a rudder foot your body is lower on the sled. The stock height bars are about right for me. The measurement I pay attention to is the distance from the running boards to the bars. I had to run a lower riser and flat bar to get the same height as the Cat has stock.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Personally, I think telescopic posts are great, esp for tall people. High off trail and lower on trail when sitting. Raise on trail if trails are rough to enable easier standing.

True they probably are not as strong as risers, but I haven't had any issues in 4,000 miles of boondocking. Just be aware of that limitation and try to limit the amount of force which may be applied when trying to roll over a sled, etc. For example, you wouldn't want 3 guys pulling/pushing the bars to try and roll or level a sled.

If I had to choose between a telescopic post and a non-adjustable riser, I would choose a riser which allows you to stand upright with a slight bend in the knees and elbows.

As for leverage, the taller the bars, the more leverage the rider has to hold the sled on edge. That is physics. The longer the lever (ie: risers) the more leverage that can be applied by the rider.

Premium Features