• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team Lance shifter sled build

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Hello from Ak. Guess I’ll start a build thread on how I put a Triumph Speed Triple turbo’d 6 speed motor from one of these
bde4713bdba94dfea76f2ff9e1636779.jpeg

into this
f0f31dc4bbfd4b51b90db0be68234f9e.jpeg

08 XP Summit chassis with Skinz front end, Ras2, Assault shocks front and rear, 163” 2.8 Conquer, etc.

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Why? A couple reasons. To see how it would work. To be different. Ever seen one?

So ithe engine came from a 03 Speed Triple. 955cc, fuel injected, about 120hp. 15k miles on it. The 800 Ptek in the sled was turbo'd with a gt2876, intercooled, polaris primary, TKI belt drive, avid drivers, yada yada the works. about 220hp Ran insanely well.

Here's the 955 hanging on the scale
df1e64b687ef442da03fe80fb9147429.jpeg

Here's the 800. 79.4
800.jpg

Here's the stuff that goes with the 800.
stuff.jpg

About a 30lb difference. I'm interested to see what the whole sled will weigh when its done. Its almost finished. It has a gtx2863 turbo, Crower rods, J&E pistons, liquid intercooler, direct drive, pushbutton shift with clutchless shifting, 3 aux injectors, everything is custom built. More to come.

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Here's a pic from today to show that this will all eventually lead somewhere. Where exactly no one knows...

today.jpg

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
It's gonna rip with the Paragon. Nevermind. I wasn't paying attention to the drivetrain. This project is cool.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Got the sled stripped down some. Cut off the steering post triangle tubes to make room for the motor.

4030569032f141cf85d3f01ac71547a1.jpg

vdwsv.jpg

Here I've cut the chaincase at about tunnel level and have the lower engine mounts welded in.

vewr.jpg

wfefw.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Heres the motor mounted in the sled with the left upper mount welded on. the motor is rotated 90 degrees from its normal operating position in the motorcycle. The transmission is the heaviest part and is mounted lowest, which works out with the space I have to work with.

gwgfw.jpg

In this pic new longer triangle tubes are welded in in a post forward configuration, the rear traingle steering support has been made and mounts to the two upper engine mounts, and the modified steering post has been mocked up. had to tweek the bend slightly to clear the motor and the shock upper cross brace.

ykjstuff.jpg

Another angle with rear braces mocked up and the factory air box installed.

ytyt.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
The bike came with headers which wont work on the sled, and not with a turbo. So I cut off the flanges and readied them for the manifold. The Triumph motor exhaust ports are oval with two valves per cylinder leading to the manifold.

msnifold.jpg

Heavy wall tubing for the log style manifold.

manifold.jpg

manifold to turbo connection.

manifold-3.jpg

I cut the chaincase down, and cut the lower gear down to use as the spacer.

bearing.jpg

Fun fact. If you take the hollow Summit jackshaft and turn down the slightly raised portion it slides into the hollow driveshaft perfectly. Leave the splined gear end sticking out past the brake rotor the appropriate amount and weld to suit. Results in a direct drive driveshaft.I'm using belt drive gears from TKI with a shorter belt.

dshaft.jpg

drive.jpg

Now to extend the output shaft out, and get the brake out of the way.

drive1.jpg

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
I should mention this build is going to jump around alot.

Removed the front plastic. You can see the exhaust manifold and turbo mounting. Theres a plug in the end to screw in a fitting to measure exhaust back pressure.

front.jpg

front1.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Going to run a radiator as the cooling for the engine. This one was built for an original Mini. Electric cooling fan.

rad.jpg

rad-1.jpg

Installed a modified Arctic Cat bumper.

bumper.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Cut out the chaincase and footwell to make room for the air to liquid intercooler.
ugv.jpg

Heres a pic of the water to air intercooler. Came from a seadoo. Added some bumper cage tubes.

bumper1.jpg

Another angle. Here you can see the start of the stubshaft from the trans output.

bumper-3.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Heres a pic of the stub shaft to bring the trans output out past the tunnel. Its a RS jackshaft cut down to proper length, tapped in the end to thread onto the trans output shaft in place of the nut that held the chain gear on. A bearing with a larger ID was installed for a support to be added later. It accepts a TKI belt drive gear as well. More on this later.

drive-1.jpg

drive-2.jpg

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
On this engine the fuel injector bosses are built into the cylinder head. I wanted to add 3 additional injectors to supply fuel under boost. I sourced a set of later model throttle bodies from a triumph 675 street triple that have the injector bosses built into them. After spacing them out a few mm. they fit into the 955i boots perfectly. I opened them up on the backside to match the larger motors intake port size. Plugged a few unneeded vac ports and removed the idle stepper motor as I'll be using the 955i style IAC.

throttlebody.jpg

Since no intake manifold exists for this application I needed to make one. The throttle bodies were clamped to a flat piece of aluminum and welded to it. Velocity stacks were added as well.

intake.jpg

Here's the finished intake manifold.

intake-2.jpg

This pic gives you an idea of the intake layout.

intake-1.jpg

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
To make room for the drive belt the brake caliper needed rotated out of the way. So the original hole in the tunnel was welded shut and a new clearance hole made.

brake-relocate.jpg

Pulled the engine back out for its new internals. Crower H beam rods. J&E low compression pistons, new mls head gasket, heavy duty clutch frictions, steels, and springs, new shifter star wheel and spring. I have several camshafts and adjustable cam sprockets for it as well, but I'm going to run it as is with the speed triple cams as I feel it should be good all around. Motor redlines at 9200rpm.

engine.jpg

Head off. you can see where I cut off the two rear upper motor mounts to make room for the engine to fit in the space allowed.

engine-apart.jpg

piston and rod

piston.jpg

clutch

clutch.jpg

I had to make a new oil pickup as the engine is now rotated 90 degrees.

oil-pickup.jpg

Turbo oil drain.

turbo-oil-drain.jpg

Knock sensor added.

knock-sensor.jpg

Large breather port added.

breather.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
I purchased a chain drive gear that had evenly spaced holes in it. Iinstalled shims onto the trans output shaft first to pre-tension the shaft, then the gear, then screwed the stub shaft on and tightened. then slid on the retainer. It had five matching holes in it. Bolts were installed to align it with the gear. it was then welded to the stub shaft. the stub was removed and it was finish welded on the inside as well. turned out like this.

output.jpg

output-1.jpg

output-2.jpg

black-drive.jpg

A bracket was built to hold the PSR rotary shift motor.

shifter.jpg

This system will allow for push button up and down shifts, and any throttle position clutchless upshifts and will do clutchless downshifts with a throttle blip.

shifter-1.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Chassis prepped for the motor re-install.

chassis.jpg

chassis-2.jpg

Dropping in.

engine-install.jpg

right side driveshaft bearing support.

bear-support.jpg

Sometimes things just work out. The RS jackshaft secondary clutch tower fits perfectly to work as the final drive stub shaft support.

support.jpg

support-2.jpg

Here is the belt installed and the additional brace installed.

final-drive.jpg

final-drive-2.jpg

Here is the tensioner installed.

final-drive-3.jpg

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Exhaust parts.

exhaust.jpg

Building exhaust.

exhaust-1.jpg

exhaust-3.jpg

Blow off vlave installed.

blow.jpg

Remote oil filter.

oil-filter.jpg

Oil cooler loop. I'll add the cooler here in a bit. Shows the remote adapter designed for a RZR.

cooler-loop.jpg

Started installing the cooling hoses.

hoses.jpg

Wrapped the exhaust. Turbo blanket installed. Not seen, oil supply line installed, turbo cooling lines plumbed. The intercooler uses a Prius inverter cooler pump mounted under the engine and pumps its coolant through the tunnel and front bulkhead cooler. Clutch and brake controls installed along with with twist grip throttle. Next up is fuel system and wiring.

exhaust-wrap.jpg

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks for that. I’ll update it as things progress. Feel free to comment or ask questions. I’m just really curious how it’ll work out.

Premium Features