• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tampico 2018/2019

Timmy!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2018
Tampico conditions thread for the 2018/2019 season. How's it look up there? Also, thanks in advance for your post! - Timmy

Last edited:
R
Nov 28, 2015
Selah, WA
We went up yesterday. Unloaded at 3300 road I think it is (halfway between snoparks and tree phones). Was maybe 3" there. Was maybe 2 ft at eagles nest and then 3 to 4 in clover and maybe a little more on top of darland but was wind blown as usual. Snow was all bottomless and no base. Def had to be careful and look out for things.

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
I heard that the gate at the bottom was going to be locked today regardless of conditions. Anyone know if this has happened? Yesterday's report said little to no snow up to Whites ridge and thin to tree phones.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
I need to hookup with some advanced riders over there, Id like to come over for a ride this season and get an edit in of a new Washington location.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I need to hookup with some advanced riders over there, Id like to come over for a ride this season and get an edit in of a new Washington location.
Not sure if i am advanced enough for u but i am willing to show u around.
Storms have been north of us most of this season.
We have only ~3ft of snow at 6-7k ft.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Not sure if i am advanced enough for u but i am willing to show u around.
Storms have been north of us most of this season.
We have only ~3ft of snow at 6-7k ft.

Haha, wasn’t trying to come across as a douche, just not wNting to get into a situation where I was riding roads only ? lol

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Unloaded at the new parking lot with 4in of snow.
467aea191a04a975c48804c1ebc7073e.jpg

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
I heard that the gate at the bottom was going to be locked today regardless of conditions. Anyone know if this has happened? Yesterday's report said little to no snow up to Whites ridge and thin to tree phones.

According to DNR, Middle fork, Northfork, and Jackass will be gated all season.
We are "supposed" to be able to get around them with a sled, but nothing else.
No plan for Red Saddle that I have heard.

Justification was/is to keep wheeled vehicles off the trails during Sled season, and to limit the Departments liability for injury due to icy roads.

Don't shoot the messenger. :)

If you have questions, or comments, the DNR contact for the Southeast region office, who oversees Tampico, and the state rec manager contact information is here:

Southeast
713 Bowers Road
Ellensburg, WA 98926
509-925-8510
southeast.region@dnr.wa.gov

Tim Stapleton
Statewide Recreation Manager
360-902-1047
tim.stapleton@dnr.wa.gov

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
This is a great concept when there is snow at the parking lot.
Really sucks when there is 8ft of snow up at eagles nest and none at the parking lot...

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
Especially when we have the "upper lot" or Whites ridge, and the old chip site to park in during the beginning of the season. Most years things are good at the bottom by the start of season on Dec 15th, just keep hoping things stay cold and we get a good base at the bottom.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Maybe some “squeaky wheels”
Over and over and over and over, etc. Time to get some common sense back into decision making. A lot of calls and suggestions might help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Still unloading in the parking lot.
5miles of ice to ride on.
Enough snow above treephons for some off road, be careful.
Plenty of snow above eagles nest.

Toyota stuck in the road halfway between treephones and eagles nest.
I told him that he shouldn't be up there after Dec 15th. He said the Ranger told him it was ok to drive up there because the gate isn't closed....
We offered help, he said he would get it himself.

Jeep was driving up past treephones also.
Maybe to help the toyota?

I am a wheeler also. I luv taking my Toyota up in the snow. But not after Dec. 15th and not up snowmobile trails.
Grooming has not started so, technically he is not violating snowmobile trails.
Forest service roads it is definitely a violation to drive on them after Dec 15th.

f1c6437f2de1304c693969361f43f83e.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Still unloading in the parking lot.
5miles of ice to ride on.
Enough snow above treephons for some off road, be careful.
Plenty of snow above eagles nest.

Toyota stuck in the road halfway between treephones and eagles nest.
I told him that he shouldn't be up there after Dec 15th. He said the Ranger told him it was ok to drive up there because the gate isn't closed....
We offered help, he said he would get it himself.

Jeep was driving up past treephones also.
Maybe to help the toyota?

I am a wheeler also. I luv taking my Toyota up in the snow. But not after Dec. 15th and not up snowmobile trails.
Grooming has not started so, technically he is not violating snowmobile trails.
Forest service roads it is definitely a violation to drive on them after Dec 15th.

Thank you Casey for talking to him, when I saw him stuck there 8 miles up, I wasn't in the mood to be diplomatic. At least the snow was firm enough that the only damage he did to the trail was right where he was turning around.

There is no reason for ANYONE to be driving up the trail above the parking lots now. There's a solid base of ice right from the end of the pavement and it's snowing right now tonight. We managed to make it up the first 4 miles of ice without too much hassle... even my old P.O.S. 900 never got over 150*F with a little snow added on the running boards.

Make sure you have spring scratchers and use them... cable scratchers aren't going to do you any good on this solid ice the first 4 miles and COMPACT snow the next mile. Aside from everything being tracked up from the mid-week riders, conditions are improving.

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
Especially when we have the "upper lot" or Whites ridge, and the old chip site to park in during the beginning of the season. Most years things are good at the bottom by the start of season on Dec 15th, just keep hoping things stay cold and we get a good base at the bottom.

Rode Saturday, the 22nd. Gates open, Ice on road, no grooming, and no signage about the one way road. Some dude from Monroe tried to pull the hill with a Semi truck pulling a toy hauler. He ended up jack knifed in the road for over 12 hours, and his trailer off the road into a tree. Being from out of area the only way he thought you could get to the lot was the wrong way thanks to no signage.

Snow is good above Tree Phones, and above Snow Cabin.

The new short cut is open, and was compact snow, no Ice really at all.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Rode Saturday, the 22nd. Gates open, Ice on road, no grooming, and no signage about the one way road. Some dude from Monroe tried to pull the hill with a Semi truck pulling a toy hauler. He ended up jack knifed in the road for over 12 hours, and his trailer off the road into a tree. Being from out of area the only way he thought you could get to the lot was the wrong way thanks to no signage.

Snow is good above Tree Phones, and above Snow Cabin.

The new short cut is open, and was compact snow, no Ice really at all.
That is the only way a vehicle that big can go. The bridge has a 10ton limit. He was twice that.
If he had put chains on before he got stuck, he would have made the hill.
bbf0f068496d269cc1532ec831dca139.jpg

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
It’s confusing how he has enough smarts to either make or maintain the kind of income it takes to buy that truck and trailer and not enough sense to know not to drive up icy narrow mountain roads with it. Truck like that can get stopped on level icy roads...

Premium Features