• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Taming G4 Summit 850

C
Nov 29, 2008
I have a buddy who's 60+ with a 2017 summit 850 154" with Ella stage 4 shocks and it's too much of a wheelie machine for him. Suggestions re making it more planted? Front limiter strap position? Front track shock preload? Rear track shock preload?

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

C
Nov 29, 2008
He spent money on shocks needlessly (exceeds ability) how much should the limiter strap and preload be reigned in? Trying to keep him from getting hurt and hopefully fewer stucks ....getting tired of digging him out.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Too keep the skis down more loosen the front track shock preload. And tighten the rear track shock preload. With Elkas you should be able to do it all with preload and not need to tighten the limiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
She’s definitely a wheelie machine. There’s some suspension adjustment but don’t expect a whole lot of improvement.
Or have fun with it and maybe start a you tube channel called “Grandpa wheelie!”

C
Nov 29, 2008
She’s definitely a wheelie machine. There’s some suspension adjustment but don’t expect a whole lot of improvement.
Or have fun with it and maybe start a you tube channel called “Grandpa wheelie!”
Yep ...stepping off my pro and onto his summit is not fun in the tight trees ...

R
Nov 16, 2016
couch said:
Trying to keep him from getting hurt and hopefully fewer stucks .... getting tired of digging him out.

Suggestion: take 3 or 4 strong young guys riding with you!

By all means do some adjusting and perhaps make some changes.

However, if he is getting stuck often, he's most likely going into places that are a bit above his skill level.

S
Mar 7, 2011
Montrose, CO
Start with what Tyman212 said & if more control is needed start tightening the limit strap. I'm running the zrp rip kit on my turbo, but the snow conditions started to dwendle before I got it installed so I can't give a fair review on it yet

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Ditch the 154, I ride with a couple 60+ a few times a year. A 165 will solve the wheeling and save everyones backs from digging him out. The extra traction and floatation will allow him to ride slower and stay in control, making him a better rider overall.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Ditch the 154, I ride with a couple 60+ a few times a year. A 165 will solve the wheeling and save everyones backs from digging him out. The extra traction and floatation will allow him to ride slower and stay in control, making him a better rider overall.
X2. The 60+ guy in our group is riding a 165 this year and we dug him out way less then years past. They are just more forgiving.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

C
Nov 29, 2008
I rode his sled for the afternoon and gave him my 155 Ayxs - he was a bit better on that but still had issues. More nervous than anything. I took his 850 and found it to be twitchy ...but was able to keep it in check! Foot placement is less forgiving on the G4. The power was great but did not like the rolly polly feel - definitely would want the lock out kit.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I rode his sled for the afternoon and gave him my 155 Ayxs - he was a bit better on that but still had issues. More nervous than anything. I took his 850 and found it to be twitchy ...but was able to keep it in check! Foot placement is less forgiving on the G4. The power was great but did not like the rolly polly feel - definitely would want the lock out kit.

Zmotion will take most the wheelie and rear suspension twitchiness out of it.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
I have a buddy who's 60+ with a 2017 summit 850 154" with Ella stage 4 shocks and it's too much of a wheelie machine for him. Suggestions re making it more planted? Front limiter strap position? Front track shock preload? Rear track shock preload?

Does it use the rear coilover shock or stock torsion spring ? From what I've seen, ELKA's rear coilover is not an improvement IMO.
Tightening the limiter strap will have a big effect on keeping the nose down, along with reducing front track spring preload and increasing rear spring preload.
Also, is he still running the stock mega high handlebar riser ? Moving to a shorter one such as the 120mm or even 95mm will promote better rider position in steep terrain and help him keep control too.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Really not to hard to fix. Lots of good advice has been offered. It costs nothing to shorten the limiter strap to shortest length and adjust preload on the shocks, less preload on front track shock, more preload on rear track shock. Start with these.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Is he in shape to ride? Only reason I ask is I am 62 and absolutely love the 154 and how it wheelies but you gotta be careful or she'll go right over backwards, my first little hill climb was an eye opener. Tighten the limiter and adjust preload on the ski and front suspension shocks, that should help tame it some. This 2021 G4 is the best sled I have ever ridden, I hardly ever get stuck (knock on wood) and can ride through the trees like all my younger riding buddies and have no trouble keeping up with them.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Does it use the rear coilover shock or stock torsion spring ? From what I've seen, ELKA's rear coilover is not an improvement IMO.
Tightening the limiter strap will have a big effect on keeping the nose down, along with reducing front track spring preload and increasing rear spring preload.
Also, is he still running the stock mega high handlebar riser ? Moving to a shorter one such as the 120mm or even 95mm will promote better rider position in steep terrain and help him keep control too.
Elka coil overs ...series 4 I believe ....have passed the recommendations along to him ....

Premium Features