• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tall guys bar height question

R
Jan 14, 2019
Iows
I am 6’4 and ran with a 4” rox riser last year and after a lot of reading about setups and handlebar heights I went back to a 2” riser and after riding the weekend my back sure is sore just wondering if there were any other tall guys running with no riser or if I am just a *****. Hahaha

2017 RMK 800 high bars

Thanks

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I’m 6’2 and running stock ski Doo expert riser, which is short. But if I felt I needed a taller riser I would get an adjustable height one, and shorten it in technical times.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
6'5" 2020 Khaos, came with short bars, one ride on stock setup and I suffered. I had a 2" riser block on hand and that is all it took to allow me to stand up straight with a good grip. Not too tall for sitting down either.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I'm 6'6" and run stock bars and height and seats on my Dirt bikes and on my Snowmobile.

I used to run massive risers. on both my dirt bikes and my snowmobile, while it helped for comfort and just hammering whoops standing up, it made cornering all weird.

I guess I got used to it I don't know...put a riser on if your back hurts I guess. :)

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Also I had that Adjustable riser on my 2014 Summit, and no matter how tight I made it it always moved around.. Just ended up slamming it all the way down which seems to be about the same height now as my new Lynx stock.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I'm 6'4" and run the NXT Level Bars 5" i believe they are. The only time I notice anything is on a long trail ride and its short term. I mostly stand anyways. In tight places and off cambers I really like the low bars I have good control over may sled. My issue is with brake levers and thumb throttle can't seem to find a happy medium adjustment. The bend on the NXT bars is just a little different than the PRO Tapers they feel more comfortable to me.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am 6’3” and off trail I prefer a bar which allows me to have a slight bend in the knees and elbows while standing.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'm 6'2" ....not sure if that's considered "tall" these days or not. Whatever the height of the factory Polaris mid-rise bars is - I like it. I've had the high bars before and liked them as well - they are more comfortable on the trail, but performance suffers a bit when the going gets tough.

As far as generally accepted "good setups," Polaris high bars plus a 4" riser block is mega huge for sure - BUT if you feel like you would be most comfortable with risers, who cares?

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
6'2" and run stock factory tall bars no riser. Thought about going shorter.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I found there’s know magic hight. Use what feels the most comfortable too yourself lm 6’ tall and like the Polaris med or short bars either one. But the short gives me a little bit more control when it’s nasty steep and trees everywhere ?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I found there’s know magic hight. Use what feels the most comfortable too yourself lm 6’ tall and like the Polaris med or short bars either one. But the short gives me a little bit more control when it’s nasty steep and trees everywhere
I hear you. If I only rode trees and steep would probably go lower but I also do family rides which are more like seasonal roads and less technical.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
The experts rave about short bars and now every wanna be thinks they need short bars rather than ask how tall these experts are; and take height into consideration. I just google'd how tall Chris Burandt is and he is 6'0. He doesn't need a riser on his sled and can rave all he wants about not running a riser / how it's better for technical riding having no riser. Or just trust the science. lol

I'm 6'3 and have always ran a riser, although my Matryx high bars seem to be higher than the old Axys high bars so no riser this time.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
The experts rave about short bars and now every wanna be thinks they need short bars rather than ask how tall these experts are; and take height into consideration. I just google'd how tall Chris Burandt is and he is 6'0. He doesn't need a riser on his sled and can rave all he wants about not running a riser / how it's better for technical riding having no riser. Or just trust the science. lol

I'm 6'3 and have always ran a riser, although my Matryx high bars seem to be higher than the old Axys high bars so no riser this time.
Yea there is a massive difference between 6'0 and 6'6" +

I'm doing ok with the stock height on my lynx though. My old sled had adjustable risers it was nice to run them all the way up for the ****ty trail ride out.

Who knows. I run stock bars on my dirtbikes now too instead of big risers. Its not as comfortable going in a straight line over endless whoops but for everything else I like it better.

Use whatever you need/like/feel comfortable with I guess is the point. regardless of what people "say"

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I'm 6'7 and the first time I used a riser was on an 01 Mtn Cat 800 using basically a 4in alum block. The height of the handlebars is not just height & geometry to your body, but also your fitness level. Take power lifting for instance (Which I used to do). When your tall and thin, trying to deadlift a tall guy has to reach down practically to the top of their ankles to start their pull where short guys don't have to reach down as far to start their rep in a very different position than the tall guy. Yet, the guys in strong man are typically tall monsters, like Hapthor Bjornson, when it comes to deadlift with a few exceptions like Eddie Hall. Eddie, had to put on an unsafe amount of weight to pull that world record off the ground against those big guys. Not that the deadlift is more comfortable for the tall guys, they have the size, strength and geometry to pull that heavy weight and they have been doing it daily for a long time.

I think a lot of these pros can run a short bar without discomfort in part of their height but also fitness level certainly makes a difference as well. Guys that are shorter, get more seat time throughout the year to keep those muscle groups they work constantly. And here we come to ride 3-6 months of the year like the guy that breaks a bow out a couple weeks before deer hunting and pulls his shoulder out trying to pull the same weight he left off with last year. Meanwhile the guy next to him, same height and build has been shooting archery nearly the whole year with no aches. So yea, those pros tall or short have the muscle groups trained up where it does not bother them.

Me, nowdays I'll pull a deadlift from the safety braces of the squat rack like a cheater because I don't lift every day and really unless your competing or wanting to simply perform the form the deadlift is the most risk with the least reward for working out. I believe bar height is the same, unless your riding throughout the year, your back probably won't do well in the long run. So use the "cheater bar" and go with an extended height bar and or add an extension until 1. your able to minimize soreness at the end of the day while still maintaining good control. Another thing I consider is how far up the bars are sticking as they can become a giant lever to bend or break the steering post by a simple quick dump of the sled on it's side or rollover. (I've had to replace the steering post twice running a total of 10 inches of extension before.

And no just because were taller doesn't mean our hands are proportionally longer or bigger to other parts of our body...just our dicks... true story...ask your mom!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Ah...ok...anyway, here's how you choose a bar height: What's your riding style? If you bash flat meadows, raise your bars up. If you only ride steep hills, then go super low. If it's a combination of both, adjust accordingly. There is no specific bar height to your height. It's based on the terrain.

Premium Features