• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tablet for Navigation? Anybody doing this successfully?

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Gents -
I want to set up a 7-8" tablet for navigation for SAR missions this winter. The bigger screen is the motivation for the tablet.

Going to run GAIA for mapping.

Going to be mounted above guage on my '18 Axys - but will have ability to store in heated windshield bag if needed.

Tablet will stay plugged in to 12V while riding which should generate a bit of heat. Hoping that if it's running the entire time that will generate additional heat and the waterproof case should retain a bit of it.

Just curious if any on you have done something similar with success? Pics of your setups?

Thanks.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I bought a 7" tablet specifically for my sled, but decided it was too big. Went with a 5" phone instead. Make certain your tablet has a gps chip. Many don't. Also, make certain your screen can get super bright, or you won't be able to see anything in sunlight. I bought an ASUS Nexus 7, 2nd gen tablet, which worked great.

Also, put a non-glare screen protector over it. Light background maps are the easiest to see. The Polaris app and Backcountry Navigator also work well.

Pic is my current phone setup, waterproof case velcro and tethered to a windshield bag. Yes, I have knocked it off from hitting trees. Tether saves it. I also carry a large backup battery. I've had no cold issues, as long as it stays plugged in.
436054ab021a5dcf5ba581fbc4213b8e.jpg

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
There was a guy who did what you're talking about liked the concept not sure if it applies to whatever you're riding though

Premium Features