• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X/Expert shocks vs. AM

J
Nov 15, 2014
Depends what you're doing with them. If you aren't a heavy guy and If you're riding groomed trails up and not jumping or dropping you're probably not gonna notice much.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
I have Elkas stage 4 on my 17 skid and I love them. Having compression adjustability let's me run less preload and not bottom out for a nicer ride and better deep snow handling. I'm 230 lbs and my torsion spring as set at 1 or 2 but I rarely bottom out. Also I can control my weight transfer in the skid. Imo good shocks are one of the best upgrades out there

U
Oct 20, 2014
Anyone just do the Zbros spring upgrade?
I just put the Zbroz dual rate springs in, they definitely improve bottom out resistance and ability to smash through whoops on trail. Front end feels much stiffer overall, sidehill initiation seem similar likely due to the tender spring, then there is much more mid-stroke support. This leads to having to pay a bit more attention when hitting little bumps, but the big benefit it they are less likely to fully bottom and throw you off line on bigger impacts like the stock ones can.

I've run Fox and Elka in the past, I would say these are a pretty good midway point, especially for the cost.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I used Zbros springs on my 17 for 180 to 210 lbs. First year just the spring. Nice improvement. Over the summer I had the shocks revalved for my weight, 190 lbs, and with the revalved shocks and springs it was a huge improvement. I also put the durapro ski dampners on which helped a lot on the 2017's.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I just put the Zbroz dual rate springs in, they definitely improve bottom out resistance and ability to smash through whoops on trail. Front end feels much stiffer overall, sidehill initiation seem similar likely due to the tender spring, then there is much more mid-stroke support. This leads to having to pay a bit more attention when hitting little bumps, but the big benefit it they are less likely to fully bottom and throw you off line on bigger impacts like the stock ones can.

I've run Fox and Elka in the past, I would say these are a pretty good midway point, especially for the cost.
Thank you. - Do you have a 22 Expert? Do you know if the shocks on a 22 expert are with or without Kashima coating? Need to order my springs.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I do have a '22 expert, and yes, the '22 are without Kashima. Easy to tell - if your shocks are gold they are Kashima, if they are black they are non-Kashima.
Last question - Did you have to tighten up your front track shock once you installed the stiffer springs in the front? I'm installing the stiffer front springs AND installing stiffer rear springs.....so just curious.

SO excited to get my project going. I also ordered gripper skis, dura pro, ZRP lift spindles plus the ZRP Z motion in the rear with the lockout.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
My 2021 Expert 165 came with Kashima coated shocks all around, I up graded them to Raptor Kinetic Series Shocks and sold the front shocks to a guy with the 19 Summit SP 175, the rear shocks wouldn't fit because the scissor shock is longer for the 175.

I still have both rear Kashima coated shocks for a 165 new take offs for sale, PM me if interested.

U
Oct 20, 2014
Last question - Did you have to tighten up your front track shock once you installed the stiffer springs in the front? I'm installing the stiffer front springs AND installing stiffer rear springs.....so just curious.

SO excited to get my project going. I also ordered gripper skis, dura pro, ZRP lift spindles plus the ZRP Z motion in the rear with the lockout.
I had already increased center preload a bit so did not increase it more when I swapped the front springs. I set the front sag similar to the stock springs though. I imagine with the skis, spindles and Z motion you will need to tweak the suspension a bit.

Premium Features