• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X Expert Handling

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I actually run without a swaybar but I've cranked the springs a bunch. To do it right you should probably have stiffer springs and a revalve. Just using a quick disconnect you are waaay off. Way too soft and if you stiffen up you are the other way going back. Nothing quick or great about that. Swaybar is definitely better on trail but off trail is definitely better if setup right. It is also awesome with less feedback through the bars when on edge. Nothing wrong with or without. Just think the quick disconnect is a joke.
Maybe that’s why the FR comes with the disconnect because it does have a stiffer suspension. I’ve wondered why it’s the only sled that has that.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The doo dis-connect is a carryover from the XP chassis to get a rider forward trail-designed chassis to roll easier. Early attempt to fix an extremely rigid trail chassis before T-motion and flex edge (thinking about it, don't think the Rev had a quick dis option). There are pros and cons to eliminating borrowed spring rate (an anti-sway stabilizer bar), but as stated, if you want to do it "right", you need more individual spring rate (or air) after pulling the stab bar. Did it back in the Rev days, and while still abit of a compromise, unless you are hammering trails, you can find a good setup for your terrain and riding style. Without a spring rate change, you do get softer tip in, but it's much easier to bottom/break a front shock, and you do need to be more active on the chassis to comp for the loss in pitch control. Pretty sure it was the early M's that started coming without a stab bar and with floats from the factory, calibrated for the missing stab bar. Not a coincidence that was the primary platform for the early wrong-foot-forward technique (alla CB and BR).

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
And here we enter the balance of the sled chat.
Disconnect the sway bar on a doo sled with a lighter muffler on it.
Most that have rode without the sway bar and a lighter muffler probably notice the sled host harder and bottoms out easier on the clutch side.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
On a sidehill the sway bar wants to throw you downhill. Without it, the hillside shock compresses easier the sled stays rolled into the hill easier.

I think this is why some guys like to disconnect it, or remove it.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
My last three sleds, two Summits and one Freeride, have had the disconnects.

Tried riding in all conditions with the sway bar disconnected and tried other Summits that were connected back-to-back.

My experience was that overall, I liked the handling with it connected. The Freeride’s stiffer shocks did compensate for the disconnect better than the Summits, but not enough to leave it disconnected.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I’m on the fence about the 34” front end. I’m Glad I went with the expert with no tmotion on the G5, till I ride it, time will tell.
Rode my Freeride with the c-motion and loved it. A little harder to get on edge, but otherwise an improvement over the t-motion. My guess is the narrower front end on the 2023 Experts will make up the difference edge-wise.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Do anyone have some measurements on the gen5 runningboards? What is the width of the new runningboards?
don't know the exact width but they're each 1.5" narrower than the gen 4 boards.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Both rear track shocks are longer. The rear upper tunnel mount has been moved back to help standardize suspensions between 154,165 and 175. They will now all have the same shock lengths and the rail length will be the key difference between the 3. This will be reflected with a longer length behind the rear tunnel mount for appropriate track length. By moving the mount back, this will also help control ski lift in technical situations.
Without modifications, no G4 rear shocks will work, with exception if you insist on running a current G4 front track, depending on brand (for travel lengths), it would bolt up. This would leave you with excessive ski steer, and less playfulness in the sled.
Front ski will transfer over to G5 from G4. Technically BRP has some very subtle length differences.

Premium Features