• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X 165" heavy steering?

B
Jan 16, 2022
Denver
I bought my first sled back in October and its a 2017 Ski-doo Summit X 165" with 3" paddles. I've been on four rides now and the thing is a bear to get on its side to steer. Yesterday I hopped on my buddies 155" rmk and alpha one and i could effortlessly rip the thing around making sharp turns etc. They went out on mine and both said the same thing, it was really difficult to get the thing on its side. They seem to think it has to do with it being a 165" but I think it has to be a suspension setup issue or something. Only thing i know it has are the ski-doo deep snow spindles but i don't think that could be the issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated before i start embarking on this blind.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
You can try letting the limitor strap outa couple holes, and take some spring pressure off the front skis. It may wheelie a bit more, but try it and see if you like it.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
As high voltage said, let the limiter out a few holes. If you are not the original owner, they may have tightened it creating more ski pressure. They could have added heavy duty rear torsion springs as well or had suspension valves different. Hard to say.

My 2017 the steering was not heavy, it would lift the front end pretty easy.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Put is back to stock settings. (Which are horrible.) But a starting point. Look at the center shock limiter, try to see the impressions from the bolt/washer to see where it used to be. Sounds like the previous owner sucked up the limiter. Unless as WO said, maybe full stiff on the torsions. But in my experience, has less to Doo with ski pressure on a Doo than screwing with the limiter strap.

B
Jan 16, 2022
Denver
Thanks guys. It's in our trailer at my shop. I looked at it today and it seems like the strap is cranked down and same with the middle shock. Any idea as to where i can find the stock settings for either or those?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My wife's 2020 expert came from the factory wrong. The middle limiter wouldn't let the adjustable limiter go full long. I don't remember it steering hard though but i was riding a cat. Nothing steers harder than a cat.

U
Oct 20, 2014
My '22 also came from the factory with the front limiter set to #4 instead of #3. The owners manual has a good section on limiter strap and sag adjustment, this video from fox is also quite good -

Premium Features