• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit clutching; ibackshift or SHR?

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
probably cant go wrong with either that being said i have the iback shift and it has made my 18 850 the best clutched sled i have ever ridden. nothing but smiles and hell yeahs

J
Nov 17, 2016
BBP,About 35 to 40 kits installed in your area by Premier great bottom and mid range pull and added top with improved backshift also less belt heat, oh and still clicker friendly. Steve still has his money back guarantee just like all his kits. I know he installed about 40 more in his own shop. Now he has been dialing in the turbo's: eyebrows:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
ibackshift for us on 2 154 SHOT 3in track.

Smooth accel and backshift

Can set up with engagement below 3000 RPM

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
The 19's clutching feels pretty good. The 17's sucked. Are you all seeing improvements with a kit on the 19's or 17's? My 19 pulls hard, accelerates & backshifts fast & has decent compression braking. Feels a lot like a DJ kit on an XP.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Looking into clutching... not sure if I should go ibackshift or sled head? Differences in either or what has been found? I’m look For a kit for a summit 154x3”.
Thanks

Rasmussen runs SHR clutching in his turbo and NA sled as well as Tony Jenkins.

We have a proven kit for your sled as well.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Website is down for MTC/too dang busy to get to it.

Call John @ 612.718.3861. We are caught up now so he can answer any question you have.

We have the ONLY in the sled, fully adjustable clutch kit that can go from sea level to whatever elevation you are at WITHOUT removing the clutch/weights.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Looking into clutching... not sure if I should go ibackshift or sled head? Differences in either or what has been found? I’m look For a kit for a summit 154x3”.
Thanks

2 good choices...

I see tip weight as the most important part of the equation (along with 7-8 other performance shops) for tuning for low to high elevations...

My kit also adapts to pipes AND turbos:face-icon-small-coo

IF all you had to do is change pivot bolt weight, wouldnt you see it from BRP?

Since 2017- BRP made 6-7 different ramps (all heavier than originals) but only 3 pivot bolts...

tech tip- when polaris goes from 68 gram to 60 gram weights for elevation....what part of the weight really changed??

grip n rip align helps a lot too!!

19/20s are the same clutching and still need attention for belt life and track HP-BJ

Last edited:

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
2 good choices...

I see tip weight as the most important part of the equation (along with 7-8 other clutch shops) for tuning for low to high elevations...

My kit also adapts to pipes AND turbos:face-icon-small-coo

IF all you had to do is change pivot bolt weight, wouldnt you see it from BRP?

Since 2017- BRP made 6-7 different ramps (all heavier than originals) but only 3 pivot bolts...

tech tip- when polaris goes from 68 gram to 60 gram weights for elevation....what part of the weight really changed??

grip n rip align helps a lot too!!

19/20s are the same clutching and still need attention for belt life and track HP-BJ

BJ , as BRP is changing the ramps are they maintaining the same profile and only adding weight as they evolve ?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
BJ , as BRP is changing the ramps are they maintaining the same profile and only adding weight as they evolve ?

for the summit- just more weight
967 was 44 gr 965 is 46 gr
170/350 to 170/400 to 150/350 springs (finally)
the QRS is still wrong-BJ

175s the worst...

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
So...I like both people at both places...however I had a kit from IBackshift for my 800 T3 and the rpm was not consistent between the trail and powder or climbing. 200 rpm or more difference. I hated it. Just my instance with the kit, not saying everyone had the same results. I therefore decided to go with the SHR kit on 850 and that things is f'ing consistent! I never had an issue with belts and I still don't but I love the consistency. Maybe 100 rpm occasionally but pretty much spot on all the time. Just my results with both. Good luck.

Last edited:

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Both of the companies mentioned make a proven, tuneable kit. Unless someone has installed each one on two otherwise identical sleds and ridden in the same zone on the same day, it's difficult to say which is "best" for their riding style and performance preferences.

There is tangible improvement over stock in aftermarket clutching on these 850s, IMO.

I have the iBackshift kit from DJ, and it's very good. SHR kit obviously works well according to many. Isn't is great to have multiple solid aftermarket clutch kit options?

I
Jul 5, 2001
Clutch kits....

I took it one step further......

Bought both kits and mix them together.... Big Johns weights loaded with tungsten, and dynamo Joe's Popeye arm and titanium cross bolts and washers....

Very pleased with the out come !!! :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features