• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 1000 SDI reliability

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
A friend of mine is looking at buying an '06 Summit 1000 SDI. It's a good price and only has 1500km. He's a big guy and needs a big sled, he likes Yamaha turbo's so won't have a problem with the way the Rev handles. What mods need to be done to get these things reliable? I'm posting because I'm his mechanic and if he buys this thing, I'll be fixing and telling him how to fix. I've read everything from guys saying with air filters they're good, to them being the most unreliable engine ever put in a sled.

So far I found a list of "must do" mods, just like the old dragons, to get these sleds reliable.,
Air filters
Aftermarket fuel pump
XP in-line Tstat
most recent mapping
Looks like the crank bearings should be repacked every summer for PM

Would these mods make this thing last, or should he just find something else?
What other mods are needed if I don't have them all listed?
TIA

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Tell your friend to forget it and get something else. Heavy turds they are and expensive engine to replace. So much better stuff out there. Hope it not my neighbors sled, cause that thing is a piece of junk.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I played with one for a couple of years, in the end I accepted the fact, that motor sucks in a Summit, and even as a trail/lake sled, your gonna constantly be tinkering with them. Not a pull and go sled by any means...

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
A friend of mine is looking at buying an '06 Summit 1000 SDI. It's a good price and only has 1500km. He's a big guy and needs a big sled, he likes Yamaha turbo's so won't have a problem with the way the Rev handles. What mods need to be done to get these things reliable? I'm posting because I'm his mechanic and if he buys this thing, I'll be fixing and telling him how to fix. I've read everything from guys saying with air filters they're good, to them being the most unreliable engine ever put in a sled.

So far I found a list of "must do" mods, just like the old dragons, to get these sleds reliable.,
Air filters
Aftermarket fuel pump
XP in-line Tstat
most recent mapping
Looks like the crank bearings should be repacked every summer for PM

Would these mods make this thing last, or should he just find something else?
What other mods are needed if I don't have them all listed?
TIA
Turn around, and run like Hell!! Way too temper-mental and, like mentioned above, expensive to fix. :bolt:

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
I have my 07 summit 800r in the shop right now next to a 06 summit 1000. That 1000 makes my 800 feel like a snowbike. I about blew out my knee cap just trying to get it on its side. It makes an apex feel nimble. Im not sure what ski doo was thinking...

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
Tell your friend to forget it and get something else. Heavy turds they are and expensive engine to replace. So much better stuff out there. Hope it not my neighbors sled, cause that thing is a piece of junk.

He passed on it, I'm glad, after all these comments, I wasn't looking forward to working on it for him.

This one is in Revy, not sure where your neighbor is. My friends boss has it, probably got it for a bad debt or something

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
I have my 07 summit 800r in the shop right now next to a 06 summit 1000. That 1000 makes my 800 feel like a snowbike. I about blew out my knee cap just trying to get it on its side. It makes an apex feel nimble. Im not sure what ski doo was thinking...

Wow, I didn't think they'd be that much of a tank!

Thought they'd just be a little heavier than a summit 800?

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Wow, I didn't think they'd be that much of a tank!

Thought they'd just be a little heavier than a summit 800?
It's definitely a huge difference, jumping from one to the other!

She's a BIG girl!!

dfbd9b93f332af423684481a1167a1d1.jpg

Premium Features