• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summer Storage ?

S
Mar 13, 2014
Bothell
I will be storing my sleds in a shipping container this year. Typically I store them in a moderately temperature controlled garage. In the past I have syphoned as much gas as I can out. Now that I am changing locations to a shipping container where they will see a large temperature swing during summer days I am wondering what the best approach is. Siphon the gas or leave full and stabilize. What is your protocol?

C
Mar 15, 2018
I am of the mind that leave fuel in it so the fuel pump is not exposed and can dry out. Put Seafoam in the fuel prior to doing the storage run sequence so the treated fuel is in the injectors and leave it like that. In a seaCan, leaving it FULL would be prudent to avoid excess condensation.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i would also leave them full, with the fuel pump out of the fuel it can dry out seals or rust out. i got a snowmobile that was not running and it turns out the fuel pickup lines had dissolved and formed a goo on the bottom of the tank. The best thing i found to clean the rubber goo off of the bottom was seafoam. After that i quit using seafoam to winterize because i thought that if it can liquify the rubber goo to clean it, than maybe it is what turned the rubber into goo in the first place. Now i use Stabil. Used seafoam a lot before though and never had any trouble though. I also try and have the tank full of av gas too since that has a long shelf life.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Closed Shipping containers scare me.
Mine gets very hot inside during the summer.
My snowmobile trailer is much cooler than the container during the summer.

I leave my sled at 85-95% full with seafoam treatment.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

RTBS

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2013
I use to drain my tank, now I leave it full stabil is a good idea ethonal free. At the start of next season you could pump it out replace with fresh non-thanol fuel and use the old fuel in a car.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Premium Features