• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suggestions to set up 600HO Hawk

A
Dec 24, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Hi all, I just picked up a 2004 600HO Hawk with 121" track. I am a previous owner of an '03 500Fanner, but was not impressed with the power it had. I live in Alaska and ride mostly powder and hills, and weight in at 220#, so the 500 just didn't have enough hp to get me there. I have been wanting a 600 HO Hawk, and finally got one 2 days ago.

I have searched this forum and looked elsewhere, but Hawk info is hard to find. I am looking for suggestions on how to set up this Hawk.

I know I want a longer track, but don't know if 136" or 144" is best. I want lots of floatation, but don't know if the 600 can handle the 144" with my weight, without losing too much hp. I don't want to worry about not having enough power to climb, like I did with my 500F.

I want to change the clutching, and will go with Ski-doo parts, as I own an '05 800HO Summit, so I am familiar with their stuff. Question here is will the TRA 3 fit the jackshaft of the Hawk or not. I have read that it will and also that it won't without a different shaft. What is the correct answer?

Ski: I am thinking of going with the Simmons Hawk ski. Any feed back on them? My 500 had the upgraded ski (I think the same one as this 2004 600 has) and it rode bad. Pushed bad and always felt uneasy. It would always wash out and cause me to spill. So, go with the Simmons or the factory ski with the trail adapter kit?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to build this Hawk right, where I can ride it all the time and not have issues. The 500 had to have the correct conditions for me to ride it, and I want to run this 600 all the time without any worries.

Bottom line, help me set it up. What would you do if you were me, wanting to ride steep and deep 90% of the time, using trails to get me there?!?!

Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks.

AkBillyBow

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Basics.

That 600HO should do what you want, TRA will fit, being an 04 though make shur the rings have been replaced 04 Rotax had flaking then eeeeek!
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46947&highlight=snowhawkaddict

Since you want to cimb.

Why don't you borrow the engine, MPEM/DPM, TRA, and cut down that track from that 2005 REV, carbs are the same but you need same jetting from the Twoski. Bolts right in!!!

Get the better steel jackshafts from Sledr2 the adjustable ski setback from scram600, some of the others on here make upgraded parts.

Cjgodden builds a chain drive system. http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134781&highlight=scram600

Call Tomas http://www.snowest.com/forum/member.php?u=56687, he's in Wasila and has several Hawks, including a 600HO he installed a 800R from one of his rental XP's.
Add a 12 gallon tank for range if you like, you wont have to worry about cooling till end spring season if you do the 800HO swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hmsFQ37APk

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93906&highlight=track+cutting

Welcome to our forum, do you know Bradley I believe he also lived in Palmer with a 500F, there are several other AK Hawk riders on here.:face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:
C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
There are alot of opinions on what parts to use to properly set up your hawk, and yes a 600 can pull a 144 track, I have a 151 under mine and I'm 215lbs. A tra is a drive clutch that goes on the motor and it will fit your hawk. The driven clutch on a 05 800 skidoo will not work as it has a splined jackshaft and the hawk has a keyed jackshaft. The drive clutch is a must change, get a tra 2 or 3 and put it on, if you get one from a 600 summit the ramps in them stock work well and you won't have to do much tuning( I have a tra 2 ) the driven clutch is debateable. Some of us feel the stock button clutch is tuneable, others believe you should throw that away and go to a cat driven. And as far as ski's go, I have a 10 wide simmons ski with no trail adapter and no twin axis mount. That is the set up I like best for alaska conditions. I have tried other combinations and its the best off trail setup. on the other hand it's probibly the worst on trail setup. I don't think it's possible to set up a hawk for both conditions. I have also noticed that two different hawks will react to chassis mods differently. I have a 04 600 and my buddy has a 05 600 and with identical setups they rode differently.

I have been riding hawks for 4 years now and have a ton of info in my head send me a pm with your number and we can talk more, also It would be great to ride with you, its allways more fun to ride with other hawks.

I
Jan 4, 2008
Palmer AK.
Welcome to the forum. I agree there is alot of knowledge on this forum and some guys have done years of tuning to get there hawks right. You need to hook up with me and Cjgodden this year and you can see the diffrence in set ups and what would work best for you. And we do not trail ride... BOON DOCKING AND MOUNTAINS BABY.:beer;:beer;

A
Dec 24, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Thanks for the replies

All, thanks for the replies!! I have stopped in and met Thomas already. He told me that he can buy about any ShowHawk parts that I need, so that is great!!

I tore into the Hawk to do some major cleaning and to get a good look at everything. I knew the rings on the 04 were bad, but didn't know if these had been replaced so I pulled the engine and dug into the top end. The rings looked OK, but the pistons looked pretty bad. Had lots of blow-by, so I decided to replace the pistons and ring along with all top end seals and gaskets. Had a few other minor things...and the reed valve boots were torn also (no surprise there).

I am currently on the Slope, and the pistons will be in when I return. Then I get to see if I remember where everything came from!!! Wish me luck.

cjgodden - I will contact you when I am back in town, and pick your brain for more info!!

IbBroken - We will ride!! I am excited to meet more Hawkers and ride together. It is not as fun when you are the only Hawk riding with Twoskis!! I think I may have met you in Turnagain back 2 or 3 years ago. I went down to meet a couple of other Snowhawk owners and I think you were there. The rest of us all had 503F's and you had the 600 HO with the chain drive. You ran it up the hill and spun the teeth off one of your gears, right before I arrived. Unfortunately, you were done for the day.

One more question, what jets are you guys running (in Alaska) on your 600HO's?

Again, thanks for all the help and the warm welcome.

P.S. Thanks for the links !!

Later...AkBillyBow

Last edited:
C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Yea, that was myself and ibbroken up at turny, I was on a summit( my knee was f't up and my hawk was at home) That was when we were running 520 chain and after modifing the sprockets they would not hold up. Since then we went to 530 chain and hardened sprockets and the chain drive's are holding know.

tring to remember how was there that day. I think it was Toddc from soldotna and a guy with a 503 with a kinda unique rack, I'm thinking his name was Todd also or maybe troy? anyway bad day for us.

I'm also a certified ski-doo tech, if you need a hand bolting that motor back together let me know. I'll send you a pm with my number.

A
Dec 24, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Yep, I was the guy with the strange rack on the 503 Hawk. That Hawk now lives in Fairbanks. There was another guy from Homer...and I cannot remember his name. It will come to me. I think he is (or was) on this forum.

I may have to take you up on the engine help. I am looking forward to installing it, yet I haven't been this far into one before...so I may need some support!!

Any suggestions on jetting? I am curious as to what everyone is running in Alaska on these 600's.

Premium Features