• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suggestions on shock setting please for better ride..

Ok so I am confused from all the posts about how to set your shocks .
I have a stock 2013 basic nytro weight and I weight 200lbs and am 6"2.. Ride really hard and mix standing and sitting style riding.
Any suggestions on what I might want to set the stock shocks at? I am not looking to ,change,upgrade,shave,twist,melt,or replace the shock ..just adjust the stock for a better ride lol
Any input from experience would be great.
BTW we got 6 inches of fresh tonight so the snow will be flying tomorrow morning early ;)
Cough cough I suddenly came down with something and will have to call in sick tommorrow.. Lmao

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
so what kind of shock do you have & what are you looking for ie smoother ride,easier steering,better for jumping?

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If I am not mistaken The 2013 Nytro came with FOX Float 2 or maybe 3 shocks up front. The problem with the air shock is that it is very progressive in the compression stroke. Air is used in place of the coil on a regular coil over shock and sets the ride height of your sled. Air doesn't compress very well so the shock become very stiff very quickly during the compression stroke . You can let air out to smooth out the stutter bumps on the trail but you run the risk if bottoming out the shock on the big hits. If you set the shock up for the big hits it doesn't work very well over the little stutter bumps and the ride becomes really rough. It is just the nature of the air shock and why a lot of people don't like them. Most of the threads I have read people that ride the nytro's in the mountains usually settle around 65-70 PSI in the front shocks. 80-90 PSI in the center track shock and around 150 in the rear shock. One thing to consider but it does cost money is to add an additional air chamber like the EVOL. Several companies make them for the standard FOX shocks or you can get an upgrade kit from FOX for $350 that turns a basic float shock into an EVOL. The more air volume allows that shock to work over the little stutter bumps but still gives you protection for the big hits. Remember to only add 5 PSI or Subtract 5 PSI at a time because just that amount came make a big change in how the shock works and always set the air pressure the first time with the skies or skid is off the ground. with it on the ground you can get a false reading in pressure.

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
to much preload in your front shocks will cause hard steering,putting more pre load or pressure in your front rear suspension shock will make the steering lighter.do you have float shocks.

Premium Features