• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stuck Primary Causes?

S
Nov 13, 2015
Hi,
Would would cause a Polaris Primary sheave to get stuck and not release back to open position when engine throttle is at idle?

Spring isn't broken, sled is am 08 RMK 700 that has 70 hours on it.

The sled has been ridden VERY easy by my wife for past several years. I don't think she has ever hit 8000 rpm on it.

Sled was ridden once by me last month and ridden very hard. I took her sled instead of mine because of low snow conditions and I didn't want to wreck my new sled. Sled saw 8000pm probalby for first time in its life. Could taking it up to normal operating RPM caused the moveable sheave to get stuck when sled has been driven at wife speed 99% of its life to date?

I cleaned it again (clean it at the end of season and spray everything again with brake cleaner at beginning of season.

The dam sheave will only move with a crowbar and lots of force. I can get the sheave unstuck with about 5 seconds of heat on it from a propane torch but then it gets stuck again.

I thought primary clutches were supposed to last longer....what happned?

I was planning on hitting the Poo store and getting an ES 600 Axys for the wife but she said no but did allow me to blow almost $500 for a new clutch.

S
Nov 13, 2015
Nope, I pulled the spring and it takes a LOT of effort to move the sheave back and forth. When I apply heat it releases.

Can't understand why it is doing this out of the blue.

Time to break out a dial indicator once I can get the damn thing off.

Last edited:
Premium Features