• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Strut Shock for Camso, my solution.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Have a 2017 Camso kit that has pretty much every update except the bigger rear wheels. I have never been able to get the weight distribution so that it wasn’t either a pig to steer on hard pack, or squirrely as hell. It also bottomed out way to easily when we were doing longer rides and had to pack a lot of gas in. Wanted to try the Zbros strut shock, but at $750.00+ Cdn it was a bit rich for something that only a few people seem to have installed (although everyone seems to feel it was worth it), so I decided to see if I could do something similar.

First step was finding a shock, at first I tried looking for a used dirt/street bike shock that would work, but not having access to a parts yard that I could pick thru buying online seemed a bit sketchy, as it was really hard to tell what condition the shock was in. So I decided to see what I could find for an ‘offbrand’ (read made in China) shock.
Found this:
99626EA8-0D5E-4361-9A8F-A651526E72E0.jpeg

126$ US with shipping.

Then made this at a friends shop.
EC403367-2AD0-4B7F-B9AE-BAC3B3EB5C26.jpeg
A3E3B7C4-4F35-4E5C-890A-F3C4FC329432.jpeg
E7D95CFF-2063-45FF-A418-FBD1FBF975CE.jpeg

Sized it so that I could use two of the Standard Camso rubber donuts, and a few washers to adjust how long the overall length was by swapping from top of the kit to underneath, similar to how Camso has you set the basic length.

Installed:

A7F84673-17BC-42F5-9482-AEF956596F94.jpeg
1057BFCE-7176-49FE-AF87-A0D5D97F4A87.jpeg

First ride was inconclusive, shock seemed to have way to much sag and didn’t seem to be helping with the ski weight, so I swapped the fixed strut back in and rerode it and it was better with the fixed strut. Bit disappointed. Decided to try again after cranking the shock preload down quite a bit and adding more air pressure. I wasn’t able to do this with the shock in the bike as I didn’t have a shock wrench for the preload, and couldn’t rotate the ring by hand.

Now it rode way better, in fact it was so much better on the road that I was able to go probably twice as fast as before while still feeling like I was in control of the bike. Before it would try to throw me off if there were any ruts, now it seemed to track far better, bonus is that whoops are way less painful. Think I may have to play with the rebound to tame a bit of a pogo affect.. Riding off trail didn’t seem to be worse, but conditions were pretty much perfect, 60cm new snow on a solid base. It did seem to climb really well, and it pretty much never bottomed out riding thru windlips and sudden transitions so that was a definite improvement.

So a bit more tweaking to do, and this summer I may disassemble the shock and upgrade seals, and maybe play with valving if I can to stiffen the compression a bit, but for around $170 Cdn for the shock and a few bolts and washers, plus a days work making the adapter I am pretty happy with the results.

Last edited:
S
Oct 3, 2015
Have a 2017 Camso kit that has pretty much every update except the bigger rear wheels. I have never been able to get the weight distribution so that it wasn’t either a pig to steer on hard pack, or squirrely as hell. It also bottomed out way to easily when we were doing longer rides and had to pack a lot of gas in. Wanted to try the Zbros strut shock, but at $750.00+ Cdn it was a bit rich for something that only a few people seem to have installed (although everyone seems to feel it was worth it), so I decided to see if I could do something similar.

First step was finding a shock, at first I tried looking for a used dirt/street bike shock that would work, but not having access to a parts yard that I could pick thru buying online seemed a bit sketchy, as it was really hard to tell what condition the shock was in. So I decided to see what I could find for an ‘offbrand’ (read made in China) shock.
Found this:
View attachment 370317

126$ US with shipping.

Then made this at a friends shop.
View attachment 370315
View attachment 370314
View attachment 370313

Sized it so that I could use two of the Standard Camso rubber donuts, and a few washers to adjust how long the overall length was by swapping from top of the kit to underneath, similar to how Camso has you set the basic length.

Installed:

View attachment 370316
View attachment 370332

First ride was inconclusive, shock seemed to have way to much sag and didn’t seem to be helping with the ski weight, so I swapped the fixed strut back in and rerode it and it was better with the fixed strut. Bit disappointed. Decided to try again after cranking the shock preload down quite a bit and adding more air pressure. I wasn’t able to do this with the shock in the bike as I didn’t have a shock wrench for the preload, and couldn’t rotate the ring by hand.

Now it rode way better, in fact it was so much better on the road that I was able to go probably twice as fast as before while still feeling like I was in control of the bike. Before it would try to throw me off if there were any ruts, now it seemed to track far better, bonus is that whoops are way less painful. Think I may have to play with the rebound to tame a bit of a pogo affect.. Riding off trail didn’t seem to be worse, but conditions were pretty much perfect, 60cm new snow on a solid base. It did seem to climb really well, and it pretty much never bottomed out riding thru windlips and sudden transitions so that was a definite improvement.

So a bit more tweaking to do, and this summer I may disassemble the shock and upgrade seals, and maybe play with valving if I can to stiffen the compression a bit, but for around $170 Cdn for the shock and a few bolts and washers, plus a days work making the adapter I am pretty happy with the results.
I have thought of doing the same thing and I came across your thread. Great job! What is the length of the shock? Do you have any problems with the chain rubbing?

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Just saw this, I’ll check tomorrow and post the info, seem to remember it’s around 11”? But you would need to figure it out on your own setup as the struts are different lengths for different bikes.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
290mm eye to eye. Chain is fine, set the tension at full extension and it gets looser under compression, but not very much.

S
Oct 3, 2015
290mm eye to eye. Chain is fine, set the tension at full extension and it gets looser under compression, but not very much.
Thanks! I measured mine on my 2013 yz450 and it is around 235mm. I'm realizing my problem is going to be the exhaust because it does a loop right where the shock is☹️

V
Jul 5, 2021
Omsk, Russia
Hello! Sorry, may be stupid question.
When converted from plain strut to shock, is not need to put some bearings to the pivot joints?
I may be named it incorrectly - there where swingarm axle mounted.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I lube the pivots regularly. Not the best solution but it seems to work ok. It’s easy enough for me to slide the bolt n and out, other bikes may be more difficult but you could drill and put a grease fitting on the Camso pivot to make it easier.

S
Oct 3, 2015
Here we are again gearing up for another season!!! I have been doing more research into the shock and I have another question for you- do you know what weight your shock is rated for? I have a few picked out and I'm thinking of buying the highest rated one at 1100#s.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
It said 1100lbs. I doubt that is accurate, but I also bought the highest rated one I could find.

S
Oct 3, 2015
It said 1100lbs. I doubt that is accurate, but I also bought the highest rated one I could find.
Excellent. I have started looking at the yeti soft strut too. They are around $350 and are very adjustable. I guess I would prefer to try out a cheaper one first and I could upgrade to the yeti soft strut later. Thanks again!

Premium Features