• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Strange thing I haven't seen before.

T
Feb 8, 2013
Utah
2000 550 touring fan, been sitting a few years.
Cleaned carbs, got it running, no idle. Cleaned the idle circuits and it seemed to run fine. Held up the back and spun the track, looking good. Then suddenly it died and will not start again, even with spray.
Put the test light on the spark plugs and it's flashing. Let it sit for a day and pulled it over with the plugs out, just in case it was flooded, nothing. No cough, no sputter, nothing.
Put some old plugs back in, test light not flashing. Put the new plugs back in and here is the weird part. The test light flashes until I put some spray in the carbs, then it quits. So the plugs will only fire when there is little/no fuel in the cylinder. Never seen this before, has anyone else?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I've seen coil packs that were nearly dead that when compression came up in the cylinders they wouldn't fire. But I never used one of those testers, I just pull a plug and lay it on top of the motor to check for spark.

sled_guy

T
Feb 8, 2013
Utah
Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the input. After further testing I'm pretty sure it's electrical because spark is mostly gone now. It was just a strange co-incidence that it would go away whenever I put some spray in.
Just bought a M1100T and I have been so busy riding it that I haven't had time to work on this one.

Premium Features