• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

straightline single pipe

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
From what I seen when I watched the dyno run Bikeman did with that pipe on the 850 I am not surprised to hear these results. He seems to be very unbiased on his dyno results this far and that pipe did not look good with stock mapping. He was able to help it out with a flash but before that it would drop off instantly after the engine hit 8100. I believe it needs more fuel to run correctly and even then it was only around a 7 ho gain if I remember correctly.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
You never mentioned what map you're running. When I called and asked about the pipe they said it runs at all elevations with no fuel controller . I did ride my stock 2020 yesterday at 5500-8000 and it never missed a beat.I have one on order and I am considering canceling . Hope someone else who has tried one will chime in. I hope this is just an isolated issue.
I'm using the 20 map.
I just got back from riding revy again today, in eth mode with 91 non eth fuel , it rode again like garbage.
It was so bad in eth mode I switched it back to 91 mode, no det codes today but it's running far from smooth, Chris says it sounds like it's lean.
I'm gonna try a steeper helix but if I can't find a solution real quick than it's going on the shelf and I'll wait until others figure it out.
My son's 850 with mtx 74 grms , stock, just RIPS with the 2020 map.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
SPI site does recommend fuel controller and clutching. It doesn't look like just the pipe/can is expected to work well on its own.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
SPI site does recommend fuel controller and clutching. It doesn't look like just the pipe/can is expected to work well on its own.
I have an email reply directly from Jason at spi stating no controler is needed and thiers no big difference between the 19.5 and 20 map.
I would had never bought this pipe if a controller was needed.
I had a jaws pipe on my axys , added 2 grms of weight and ran solid.
The only thing I question is, I'm running the jaws can, but jaws says they flow the same amount as stock.
Vohk has been using them with skinz cans.
I'd love to hear from others that are using this pipe.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
At time of release Straightline Performance does not require a fuel programmer, but due to Polaris factory fuel and ignition changes, a fuel programmer may be needed in the future. At this point mapping will be available. Straight from their website. I just wonder if this is an isolated problem.

Last edited:
M
Sep 13, 2009
Quick question if anyone knows.... i have a 19 axys, has ran great, never missed a beat, never needed the flash that some others did last year, im assuming i have the 19 flash then?!??...am i gonna need a 19.5 or 20 flash to run this pipe?

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Quick question if anyone knows.... i have a 19 axys, has ran great, never missed a beat, never needed the flash that some others did last year, im assuming i have the 19 flash then?!??...am i gonna need a 19.5 or 20 flash to run this pipe?
I would use the original 19 flash with that pipe before the 19.5 or 20 flash. It will supply more fuel which it looks like this pipe needs. Just my opinion.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I spoke with Erik (vohk) and he experienced similar issues with stock clutching, he recommended me gearing back up and installing a 62/42 helix to create more engine load, he thinks I'm blasting through the power band.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I spoke with Erik (vohk) and he experienced similar issues with stock clutching, he recommended me gearing back up and installing a 62/42 helix to create more engine load, he thinks I'm blasting through the power band.
Let us know how it works! I take it you are currently running a pro pulley gear down?

I was planning to run a gear down as well... trying to decide if I should try to get a fuel controller lined up ASAP or not.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My take on it was that the 2020 map just makes so much more power that combined with that pipe there is just not enough load on the motor. More weight or more helix would answer that question pretty quick. I wouldn't discount the pipe too soon. I added 2.8 grams to each clutch weight on mine after the map upgrade from the 19.5 to the 20 and it still is over-revving. I do believe Polaris will have to up the clutch weight recommendations for our elevation.

T
Dec 19, 2007
I would try the stock muffler as some have found the aftermarket ones not to flow as good as OEM. And, does SPI state if their Y-Pipe will make a significant (if any) improvement on how the SPI pipe performs when mounted up together?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Got a response from Jason today from spi.
He wants me to rev it from 7950/8100.
Gear it back up to stock
Try a 62/42 .40
He wants me to load the motor so I'm not blowing through the mid range.
I'm going to sic a moose tmro, will post my results.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Well this is just my opinion but vohk and entZ have had strong ties with slp for awhile. If slp had an 850 single pipe I don’t think running an spi (straightline) would even be a consideration. I believe they do run good but it’s their best alternative to not having an 850 single. The twins are pricey and not pull and go so they aren’t for everybody.

I have never had any ties with SLP. I believe that they offer great products and are missing out by not having a single for the 850. I rode the sled Erik has talked about with the SPI single and I was really impressed. So I ordered a couple for my sleds.

I set one up with the complete SPI setup (y-pipe, pipe, and muffler) and took it out for the first ride on Sunday. I'm riding at 10,000-12,000 feet with non ethanol fuel and sled in non ethanol fuel mode. This was the first ride for the sled. By the end of the day had 40 miles. I felt like the sled started running stronger after about 25 miles and is running really good. The mid range of this setup is what was most impressive to me. With the clutching setup that I tried and elevation I was riding, I was consistently pulling 7900 rpms when working the sled hard. Feels strong, but I really want to try it at 8100 rpms. I will probably ride this setup one more time trying to get through the break-in a bit more. I'm also anxious to get a 100% stock setup with the same miles and compare them side by side and in the same riding situations.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Snobyrd, put your stock pipe back on so you can see if maybe something else is going on.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I have never had any ties with SLP. I believe that they offer great products and are missing out by not having a single for the 850. I rode the sled Erik has talked about with the SPI single and I was really impressed. So I ordered a couple for my sleds.

I set one up with the complete SPI setup (y-pipe, pipe, and muffler) and took it out for the first ride on Sunday. I'm riding at 10,000-12,000 feet with non ethanol fuel and sled in non ethanol fuel mode. This was the first ride for the sled. By the end of the day had 40 miles. I felt like the sled started running stronger after about 25 miles and is running really good. The mid range of this setup is what was most impressive to me. With the clutching setup that I tried and elevation I was riding, I was consistently pulling 7900 rpms when working the sled hard. Feels strong, but I really want to try it at 8100 rpms. I will probably ride this setup one more time trying to get through the break-in a bit more. I'm also anxious to get a 100% stock setup with the same miles and compare them side by side and in the same riding situations.
Matt
On the weekend in revy my son had his all stock 19 850 with 70 grm weights, with the new flash, he spun those 70s no problem and run strong, normally he'd run 68s on the old map.
On Sunday we switched to 74 grm slps and got a steady 8200, so the new map makes this sled in stk fourm absolutely rip.
All this testing was done in the trees with a creek in the bottom and steep walls on its side.
I'm going out today and gonna try Erik's clutching advice , and if my issues don't go away, the pipe comes off and I'll ride stock.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Sorry to say Jeff but I do not believe you are going to load the motor enough with Erik's setup. Not that he is wrong but you are at lower altitude and need more load than he is suggesting.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I rode sic a moose today , 0 deg c, 2 feet of fresh, I used Erik's vohk suggested helix with my own weight configuration and had 0 det, ran nice a crisp, def a breakthrough, pulled 8-8100 all day.
Pulled hard. Now I need to find out it's breaking limmit.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
What did you end up for on clutching? Did you gear it back up? Good to hear that you got it running.

Premium Features