• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stop the madness

C
Apr 4, 2013
Please can we go sledding i just pulled into home depot and the place is packed. They even have the hotdog stand out front open. How can this be essential and an acceptable risk but a snowmobiler in the middle of the cascade mts riding even with a friend basically alone be to high a risk. I've never seen a snow park lot this full and certainly not with so many people packed into one space breathing and touching so many common items I think i might just have to find an access point off the grid but haven't really tried this before. If anyone has a spot they would like to share it's between us i know it's a long shot but help a guy out here lol. Stay safe stay healthy but live your life.

C
Apr 4, 2013
Did you use a snow park?? Aren't they unofficially closed April 1st anyways. At least as far as grooming? I know there has to be some awesome riding right now I'm laid off and just want to get out for another ride or two before it's all over. Care to share a location?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i feel your pain and our riding area is getting good snow right now. it's not that there's a risk of getting the 'rona while out in the sticks, it's what happens if you need assistance of any kind and especially medical? if so, you're gonna be consuming resources that are in short supply and you'll be tended to by health professionals who work in hospitals where corona is at. hospitals are also great places to get nocosomial (originating in a hospital) infections and some of those bugs are very resistant to treatment.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I've been ridding every couple days and not having to go to Montana. This last week have been getting some pretty damn good dumps up high just me and my buddy haven't seen another track freaking awesome

C
Apr 4, 2013
i feel your pain and our riding area is getting good snow right now. it's not that there's a risk of getting the 'rona while out in the sticks, it's what happens if you need assistance of any kind and especially medical? if so, you're gonna be consuming resources that are in short supply and you'll be tended to by health professionals who work in hospitals where corona is at. hospitals are also great places to get nocosomial (originating in a hospital) infections and some of those bugs are very resistant to treatment.
The hospitals aren't really strained YouTube NYC hospitals supposed to be mayhem and there's not a soul in the waiting room wondering where all these people are hiding out. I get it but I think there's better ways to prevent the spread than closing snow parks. It's not like they're imposing prohibition again or outlawing cigarettes how many lives are lost each yr due to that global pandemic? I'm just going to keep my distance up in the hills that's my safe place summer and winter just be prepared is the bottom line. How many people are straining resources fishing for God's sake now there's a dangerous activity?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
They sailed the USNS Comfort with its 1000 beds to NY City, and it's currently got 40 patients. I've never been one for tin-foil-hat theories, but if things were half as bad as reported there, why isn't it full by now? And it seems like the whole response has been centered around "we're not sure how it spreads yet, where it may hit next, or how to stop it, so we just have to shut everything and everyone down." We've been studying it for a month and a half and we're still stuck in day one of crisis mode?

Anyway, I managed to get in some throttle therapy, fully within the intent and legality of all orders to date (not in WA, obviously). I just hope common sense prevails and they open things back up for some spring riding where possible. If we keep going as we are right now indefinitely, or worse yet keep clamping down, pretty soon we'll be seeing a tragic comedy of cops and robbers played out on a national stage. Just look at Italy if you want a preview...

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I get it but I think there's better ways to prevent the spread than closing snow parks.

The snow parks are not closed to prevent the spread. It's to limit the potential burden on the medical system.

They sailed the USNS Comfort with its 1000 beds to NY City, and it's currently got 40 patients. I've never been one for tin-foil-hat theories, but if things were half as bad as reported there, why isn't it full by now? And it seems like the whole response has been centered around "we're not sure how it spreads yet, where it may hit next, or how to stop it, so we just have to shut everything and everyone down." We've been studying it for a month and a half and we're still stuck in day one of crisis mode?

Having the ship there is a precaution. Going on lockdown is a precaution. If the lockdown works and people do as asked, then the goal has been met of not needing the ship. But it's great to hear they have prepared it and are ready if it's needed. The best thing in the world is to have it and not need it, just like all your avalanche gear.

There was a talk given when the stay at home orders were starting to be issued, the summary was, "if we do this right and it works, nothing happens". That's the best case.

The problem is, how do you quantify how bad it could be, is it working? Is the lock down helping? Is it as bad as it is because people aren't following protocols, or is it as good as it is because they are? IDK who knows those answers or how the heck you find them and know they are accurate.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It's hardly worth arguing over, but I see groupthink running rampant in the response to the Wuhan virus, and it centers around a poor leadership principle that's found almost everywhere in government, much of the corporate world, and even the military. It's based on the idea that no risk is worth taking, and that the response centered around the worst-case scenario is most prudent (largely for self-preservation of those in "leadership"). The whole problem is, if leadership takes a risk and things get worse – even if their response didn't actually contribute to that – someone is going to criticize the decision and most people glom on. So the most severe, knee-jerk response is hard to resist because if things get worse, you can say "look at how much I did to stop it!" If things get better, you can either claim you were just doing your job and trying prevent the worst, or (more likely) take credit for fixing it. I think most people are familiar with "CYA," cover your... you know. It's not real leadership, but in a hyper-cautious environment it tends to win out over real leadership.

I understand there are places with legitimate crises, but even those seem overblown. First Seattle was going to have 10,000+ deaths, then Denver; now we have NY City, which is the worst by far, but it's not surprising. They've got a huge population density, a widely-used public transit system, and still have the relatively cool temperatures favorable to most respiratory viruses this time of year. But I'm not buying it's that bad even there if they're not even using a facility like the Comfort. It's easy to convince some people in rural states that those kinds of infection and death rates are coming, but there's little evidence of that. It seems to take big populations and confined quarters for significant community spread, based on what I'm seeing. Still, most governors (including ours in MT) are doing everything they can to lock things down; some practicing CYA "leadership," and some just flexing their muscles and enjoying throwing their weight around. That's why parking lots and wilderness areas are being closed (people are even being asked to leave Cooke City), even though there's practically no risk from locals hitting up their favorite spots if they're smart about it. It's government of the stupid, by the stupid, for the stupid.

K
Apr 12, 2018
The snow parks are not closed to prevent the spread. It's to limit the potential burden on the medical system.

Having the ship there is a precaution. Going on lockdown is a precaution. If the lockdown works and people do as asked, then the goal has been met of not needing the ship. But it's great to hear they have prepared it and are ready if it's needed. The best thing in the world is to have it and not need it, just like all your avalanche gear.

There was a talk given when the stay at home orders were starting to be issued, the summary was, "if we do this right and it works, nothing happens". That's the best case.

The problem is, how do you quantify how bad it could be, is it working? Is the lock down helping? Is it as bad as it is because people aren't following protocols, or is it as good as it is because they are? IDK who knows those answers or how the heck you find them and know they are accurate.
The govt. will be coming thru with cattle trailers to load ya all up and take you to a corona virus safe camp. Most of you will be fighting for your place in line, Im sure. But remember. Do you choose safety over your freedoms, or, freedoms over your safety? Myself, I prefer choice number 2. Ride like there is no tomorrow. And screw their rules!!

T
Aug 8, 2011
Finally a few people waking up and starting to think and take a stand! This is insanity!! The death total is not there, never was there to justify shutting down, locking public land down and putting people out of business. It’s been shocking and disgusting how rapidly people happily gave up their civil rights all in the name of proported public safety. Where do we draw line here? The story is always the same, next week it’s gonna explode!! In the entire year this corona is up to 3/4 of the death total as the flu had claimed in by early March. Now the death count is inflated because anyone that has covid 19 in their system and dies for any reason Is a covid death.
People need to fight back, this is insane.
Go back to work, go back to normal life.

T
Nov 19, 2008
Wow. Sure wish my family and people I care for are invincible. I guess we'll find out.
No doubt in my mind the naysayers will be be the biggest bitchers if it comes to knock on their door. Knock, knock....who's there, reality.

T
Nov 19, 2008
Wow. Something to ponder. What's the answer, are we proactive or reactive?
Can't see a winner either way, Let's pray we all get past this, physically and fiscally.
I can appreciate both views.

G
Jan 10, 2020
All of the winers, why cant we go out and play. Go out and play, but will you claim responsibility when someone dies and its your fault.It will be too late when death grabs you by the balls and drags you away.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
All of the winers, why cant we go out and play. Go out and play, but will you claim responsibility when someone dies and
All of the winers, why cant we go out and play. Go out and play, but will you claim responsibility when someone dies and its your fault.It will be too late when death grabs you by the balls and drags you away.
Ok... free Snowest member. I know COVID-19 is real, but give me a break. All I’ve been doing is working and sledding. People need to grasp reality. The Earth needs a good cleansing anyhow. Besides like the last 100 people who I’ve talked, I most likely had it in January. Never have I been so sick.

Premium Features