• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stop buying loud cans

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Minnesota requires stock exhaust system on all snowmobiles not used in competion

So that makes it even worse. These guys know damn well what they're doing with these 'mountain' cans. Here we'll sell you this to screw up your area's access but oh no, of course it's not something we could do here.

I really have gotten to the point that if a company sells some obnoxious can I won't buy anything from them.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So that makes it even worse. These guys know damn well what they're doing with these 'mountain' cans. Here we'll sell you this to screw up your area's access but oh no, of course it's not something we could do here.

I really have gotten to the point that if a company sells some obnoxious can I won't buy anything from them.
So basically you don’t buy any aftermarket parts from anyone?
Every company that makes exhaust for snowmobiles makes a loud version.

and no I don’t personally like loud either but i’m not going to pretend to be “better” than folks that do.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
So basically you don’t buy any aftermarket parts from anyone?
Every company that makes exhaust for snowmobiles makes a loud version.

and no I don’t personally like loud either but i’m not going to pretend to be “better” than folks that do.

diamond S yo.

That's the only aftermarket can I've ever bought in my life, and I bought it used. I did buy a turbo once but even that was quieter than all the 'mountain' cans out there.

I'm not pretending I'm better, I'm just acting in a less self destructive manner. It has nothing to do with ego or my self evaluation compared to others. We lose places to ride at a regular clip. Making it easy for people to do that is just pissing in your own cheerios.

ask nick at ice age, or brian and B&M, or the guys at alternative impact, or fox, if I "buy aftermarket parts" :D

I buy things that affect handling and performance. Cans are never that. I think BDX/SSI is the only company I've ever bought stuff from that also makes shlt loud exhaust. But that was years ago for some M8 stuff. Nowadays I do look elsewhere if those things are in the lineup. Just voting with dollars. And discussing how I do that in a thread dedicated to the topic....

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
diamond S yo.

That's the only aftermarket can I've ever bought in my life, and I bought it used. I did buy a turbo once but even that was quieter than all the 'mountain' cans out there.

I'm not pretending I'm better, I'm just acting in a less self destructive manner. It has nothing to do with ego or my self evaluation compared to others. We lose places to ride at a regular clip. Making it easy for people to do that is just pissing in your own cheerios.

ask nick at ice age, or brian and B&M, or the guys at alternative impact, or fox, if I "buy aftermarket parts" :D

I buy things that affect handling and performance. Cans are never that. I think BDX/SSI is the only company I've ever bought stuff from that also makes shlt loud exhaust. But that was years ago for some M8 stuff. Nowadays I do look elsewhere if those things are in the lineup. Just voting with dollars. And discussing how I do that in a thread dedicated to the topic....
Fair enough.

it was starting to sound like a public Shaming............

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
With regard to manufacturers, I think the biggest black mark is how poorly they indicate the noise levels of their "lightweight" and "mountain" cans. You're lucky to see any kind of decibel ratings, let alone warnings about not meeting state noise requirements and exceeding safe noise levels. Granted, you're asking manufacturers to do something that's likely to lose them sales when Joe Schmoe passes up their loud can for about the same thing from a less reputable manufacturer who won't label their product appropriately. But then there are those of us who'll make a point to buy from the ones who'll be transparent about what they sell. We've mentioned SLP a few times, and I think they're better than most: they've at least been working to make their "trail" cans meet noise requirements, and their loud ones are labeled "competition," which gives anyone with sense a good idea of how they'll sound. I hate the idea of banning aftermarket cans; there are some good ones out there. Not sure if that one chalks up more to over-reaching state governance or the bad apples spoiling the barrel, but it doesn't hurt to throw those out...

Anyway, the ultimate culprit is the guy buying the product. Most of us go through that stage where loud is cool, and that will drive some sales, but for me it was pretty short-lived (at least in terms of what I expose other people to; there is a time and a place for loud and proud). It should also be pretty short-lived for anyone getting into sleds: you'll notice pretty quickly if you're the newb in a group and your sled is the only one that sounds like a car-size murder hornet. And if that doesn't work, hopefully someone will politely explain that there's a lot more than the rider's hearing at stake.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Most cans have a cheap "tinny" sound to them that I hate, I can deal with a little louder than stock but I just think most of them sound like the sled equivalent of a clapped out 90's rust bucket Chevy that some 16- year old straight piped in shop class.

I just bought a 2016 Axys with an SLP can on it and I was disappointed by the cheap sound. Sold it and bought a stock one. Made $200 though!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Fair enough.

it was starting to sound like a public Shaming............

Not shaming as much as just pointing out that the providers aren't located in the same places as the access losers. Its noteworthy in my mind. Trust me when I want to specifically publicly shame someone, there will be zero doubt. ;)

I have no qualms whatsoever about saying I wish people would stop buying that stuff however. Not because I'm better than anyone else but because I'm sick of losing places to ride.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
If you ride with our group and have a can you get yourself unstuck. I've had those things scream in my ear more than once on a ski pull.. no more I'll watch from far away!!!
I have a Supercharger and love the sound but if they don't upgrade the muffler I'm not buying another.
I'm in Michigan and will not be riding that here except at competition or on my own property. It takes 118 to ride it here. So it's pretty easy to ride something else.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If you ride with our group and have a can you get yourself unstuck. I've had those things scream in my ear more than once on a ski pull.. no more I'll watch from far away!!!
I have a Supercharger and love the sound but if they don't upgrade the muffler I'm not buying another.
I'm in Michigan and will not be riding that here except at competition or on my own property. It takes 118 to ride it here. So it's pretty easy to ride something else.

"sorry bro, I only tug left skis"

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I applaud some of the manufacturers stepping up and making lightweight cans with stock sound levels. Bravo! SLP quiet can sounded really tinny on the Pro, so I had an Ultra-Q that sounded deep and throaty but still close to stock sound levels... the SLP is a little less tinny on the Axys, and seems to be the only can that fits decent with their pipe (have an ultra-q for the axys but it puts the SLP pipe too close to the hood for my comfort).

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
it doesn't matter much if theres quiet cans available as long as MTN can exist the BROs will go on Facebook and ask "what is the loudest can for my sled"

BROs don't give a **** to the snowmobile industry or their action.

Premium Features