• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stop buying loud cans

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
#missingdigitmotors PSA of the day.

Your “race” can is stupid.

SLP “competition” (WTF are you competing in????) versus SAE J-2567 (https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2567_200401/) can. 1.6 lbs lighter.... a whole hell of a lot louder.

1.6 pounds..... how many extra pounds are you packing around your waistline? And you are worried about 1.6 lbs of weight? That’s only 1.6lbs heavier WITH the cooker mount on the quieter can.

You want to make more noise?... learn to hold the throttle open where the exhaust valves open.

Don’t give the anti-motorized crowd another argument to close lands.
Don’t be a #parkinglotposeur.

#loudcanscloselands
#polarissnow #axysrmk #rmk47DF3339-3E5B-4C81-9024-EF0817FADDDF.jpegFECB3B03-BE6D-4B6F-BB73-3FC000852974.jpeg0D3E60CB-ACC0-44B5-9749-EB787AE70D12.jpeg12E3C77E-C011-4692-8F3E-316CE6F4DB99.jpeg

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
One of my buddies commented on his can after a long ride back to the trucks, “ I need to wear earplugs, this thing gets annoying!” Guess what, everyone else thinks so too. If you have a loud can, you are either a dick or just plain oblivious to anyone or anything around you.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I don't get why anyone would run a can like that on anything other than a competition sled. There's a lot of weight to be shed over a stock can depending on the sled, but the difference between an ultralight competition can that should only be used in hillclimb competition and such, and one that has reasonable noise levels is 5lb at most. A "competition" can will damage your hearing with extended use, unless you wear earplugs, so that alone should be an indicator. I get that we pay a lot of money to lose a few pounds here or there, but for the life of me, I can't get why anyone would think a few pounds outweight the downsides of a loud can.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I don't get why anyone would run a can like that on anything other than a competition sled. There's a lot of weight to be shed over a stock can depending on the sled, but the difference between an ultralight competition can that should only be used in hillclimb competition and such, and one that has reasonable noise levels is 5lb at most. A "competition" can will damage your hearing with extended use, unless you wear earplugs, so that alone should be an indicator. I get that we pay a lot of money to lose a few pounds here or there, but for the life of me, I can't get why anyone would think a few pounds outweight the downsides of a loud can.
Kinda like putting loud exhaust or huge knobby tires and a lift kit on a tow pickup. People think its cool.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Guess I should rephrase that: no grown adult with a brain and the sense to use it would run a "competition" can on an everyday sled. I do forget sometimes how many physically mature individuals of age there are out there whose mental development is frozen at some point in high school. I guess other cool things include showing everyone how rich you are by making bigger payments on your truck than your home, or binging on booze and weed like a trust fund college student every chance you get. I feel like a grumpy old man writing this, but that's partly because a lot of these "cool" kids are my age (mid-30s)...

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Unfortunately, there seems to be an age associated with this argument. I see the conversation on Facebook all the time. I use the SLP can with the muff pot adapter. Not near as loud and still has a nice raspy sound.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Agree 100%.
Most of the snow bikes I have been around though are worse than sleds.

The Snowbike comment is why I've added a PC system wit full spark arrestor the season. Don't care if I Lose a HP or two. the noise is the issue for me. I personally love the sound, but I know I'm not everyone around me, so may as well try and be considerate..

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
manufacturers should really be giving their heads a shake even offering garbage products such as loud cans ...

What I've noticed living on the west coast: Other than SLP, the worst offenders in terms of making loud cans all live in the midwest. The worst losses in terms of land access are in the intermountain west. I think if the aftermarket guys that make that crap were constantly losing riding areas like we do, it might be a little more real what they're enabling.

But the sad truth is they keep selling them because people keep buying them. That's going to stop, either because people wise up, or we have nowhere to ride anymore.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have to believe that riding trails in the midwest being so close to dwellings would be a major issue with loud pipes/cans. Surprised there is that much market for them where the manufacturers live.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I have to believe that riding trails in the midwest being so close to dwellings would be a major issue with loud pipes/cans. Surprised there is that much market for them where the manufacturers live.
It is a problem in the Midwest too... nothing new...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

I know one of the states in the midwest REQUIRES stock exhaust to ride their trails. Imma guess it's not minnesota where most of the aftermarket guys are. And if it is, they're even denser than I thought.

either way, they may get a ticket and a trail closed. We get thousands of acres taken away.

edit: sniped!

Michigan was where I was thinking.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I know one of the states in the midwest REQUIRES stock exhaust to ride their trails. Imma guess it's not minnesota where most of the aftermarket guys are. And if it is, they're even denser than I thought.

either way, they may get a ticket and a trail closed. We get thousands of acres taken away.

edit: sniped!

Michigan was where I was thinking.
you can get a ticket in Quebec with a loud can on trail and off trail

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The ONLY reason (well, almost) that I run HPS cans on my Doos is so that I can run a cooker. I installed one on my new Freeride today, fired it up and aligned/adjusted the track in the shop and completely forgot that it was canned. A good can can come in pretty close to stock as far as obnoxiousness. Yes, it is a bit louder, but worth having hot spaghetti on the trail! :)

Premium Features