• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stage Stunt Goggles - Initial Review

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT
Just picked up a pair of black frame Stage Stunt Goggles with the photochromatic lens. I had liked the 509 aviator goggles that I had tried from my buddy but I decided to try something different from a local (utah) company.

Initial look at them just out of the box and they seem to have a descent build quality. The foam is two layer with the soft fleece outer covering. The foam doesn't seem quite as substantial as my friends 509 aviators, but I wouldn't say that is a bad thing because they're comfortable on your face. Plus, Sometimes the bulkier foam causes issues with different helmets and head gear (i.e. breath box, etc).

The biggest positive and surprise was the photochromatic lenses. In indoor or low light surroundings they seem like an amber/rose lens. Rode yesterday in a bright slightly cloudy day and they changed to more or a dark smoke lens. So it gave me good visibility all day. I do wonder how fast the lens can react to light changes though, so I will try to update as I get more time with them. My only grip so far with these or with any goggle like this (frame less) is that its a little harder to change out lenses without getting a bunch of finger prints on the lenses, but that's a pretty small issue.

At $90-$100 I think they would be a good additional option compared to the 509 aviators. I don't have the two side by side, but it seems like the stages are slightly smaller frame/lens. Anyone have both?

http://shop.stageideas.com/Stage-Stunt-Goggles-s/1828.htm

Note - The two pictures are showing the same goggle and lens

Attachments

• 20150111_161523.jpg
    20150111_161523.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 20150110_104647.jpg
    20150110_104647.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT
Goggle Update

I have owned my stage goggles (photo chromatic and detector lenses) for two seasons now. I have ridden and skied in many different conditions and I am very happy with the Stage goggles.
The photo chromatic lenses are my go-to lenses except if its storming. They work well in cloudy to blue bird sunny days. I'd guess that they darken in the sun in under a minute. They would work in almost any light, but I find they tend to be on the dark side if its storming or low visibility.
I have been on the ski lift through dense clouds where the mist iced over the lense, and was able to clean the ice off and clear them up no problem, no scratches.
I went snowmobiling with a buddy who was wearing 509 goggles. I was able to stick with my stage's with the detector lense while my buddies 509s kept fogging up and he was forced to switch back and forth between two pairs of 509s (thawing them out between runs).
I feel like the Stage goggles compare to ski or sled goggles that are 1.5 to 2 times the cost.
I also like that you can personalize your goggle frame, strap, and lense.

For snowmobiling I might like to see a nose guard option, but since I am using these for skiing and sledding, the lack of one isn't that big of a deal for me.

Last edited:
Premium Features