• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ST or LT or SX - My Thoughts

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
I've get a ton of PM's on what kit I think is best so I thought I'll just start a thread and put my thoughts out there. Feel free to add to whatever I've got here.

So here's my thoughts:
Telling a guy which kit is best for him is like telling a guy which motorcycle is best for him. There is no one-kit/bike fits all situation here folks. You have to look at the conditions you ride, and your riding style, and pick which kit fits your needs. This goes for 2 stroke vs 4 stroke as well, but I won't get into that. This thread is just for the different Timbersled Kits.

So which kit is it? Here's the way I see it... pros and cons and each kit:

ST - Short Track Version
Pros
- Shorter and more nimble than the LT
- Less front ski pressure than the LT (doesn't "push" the ski in powder)
- 12.5" wide track floats better than the SX
- Feels light and maneuverable, but not quite as good as the SX
- And now for 16' will have tons of travel with the option of the TSS

Cons
- The wider track will "stand the bike up" on my harder conditions when under power. In other words, it doesn't lean over as easy as the SX and turn
- w/o the 16' TSS it won't have as much suspension as the SX

My thoughts: It's a great "do-it-all" kit IF you aren't a "jumper" kind-a-guy. But it can jump and jump well, just not big (but the 16' TSS version probably can).

LT - Long Track Version
Pros
- Holy traction in big powder! This thing floats and goes and goes in the soft stuff.
- Obviously it floats better than both the ST and SX and gets more traction
- Not with the TSS it'll also have the option of having tons of travel

Cons
- With length comes less agility. This is only noticeable in non-powder conditions though, in the powder I barely notice any turning issues at all. On hard pack, big difference between the LT and the others, not easily maneuverable.
- Doesn't jump as well as the others
- The front ski pressure is greater and tends to "push" more so than the ST or SX
- Requires POWER to make it shine in the powder, more than a 450.

My Thoughts: This kit is for the non-jumper kinda guy who is lucky to have more powder days than not in his season. It kills it in the soft stuff.

SX 121 - Snow Cross Version
Pros
- 10.5" narrow track and 2" narrower tunnel makes this kit very maneuverable and "bike-like" feeling tossing it from side-to-side. One of my friends, who rides the LT, described it as a "Little Porsche (SX)" as compared to his "Bug Muscle Car (LT)". It's just super easy to maneuver around as compared to both the ST and LT.
- It has tons of suspension travel. This is somewhat of a mute point for the 16' models though, cause now you can get 20" of travel with the TSS on any of them.
- Even the base 16' SX appears to have better suspension than the others though (I have no experience here, just got this from reading TS website)
- Ski pressure is very light feeling. You can literally wheelie this thing around.
- Jumping it is like jumping your dirt bike, very easy, lands nice. (this is what this kit was made for)
- It's bullet proof! This can probably be said for all the kits but I've beat the crap out of my SX and it just keeps on going.
- Hard Pack. Soft stuff. It handles it all very well but....

Cons
- It doesn't float on the powder as well as either the other two kits. Even the ST, same track length, wider track, is marginally better in the powder.
- If you get a 13' model or older, those came with a heavy hard paddled snowhawk track. This track is amazing on hard pack stuff but terrible in powder. Tracks can be changed...

Thoughts: The SX is for the more aggressive kind of rider or the guy who rides a lot of packed roads. The guy that likes to jump, beat down the whoops, etc etc. It doesn't go as good in the powder as the others but is superb at maneuverability and jumping in all conditions. There are days I wish I was on the LT even with its "cons", but most of my days are not spent in amazing powder. Most my days are in "OK" powder and I'm searching around for what to jump next, which is why I'm on the SX.

The SX 137... I have no experience with but I'm sure it simply goes better in powder, but due to it's length puts more ski pressure on the front.

So....Look at your conditions. Decide what kind of rider you are. Pick a kit. You can't go wrong with any of them, they all rock! That's my 2 cents.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The only thing I really don't agree with you on is that the LT does not require more than a 450 to "shine". A 450 MX bike that isn't beat to piss has no problems turning this track. Everyone wants more power but it is not because it's an LT.

The SXLT is a great kit. In the powder the SXLT out pulls the 15 (and older) ST but not by a huge margin. The LT is still the king in the deep and steep. My only problems with the SX is the track width with regards to the outer windows. I've now seen 3 window rips that have resulted in needing new tracks. Spendy proposition mid season for running over a stob that wouldn't bother a normal 12.5 track.

D

DenverSnowBike

Feb 4, 2015
Denver, CO
I just snow checked a 2016 SX LT w/ TSS...I want/need the 137 for the deep pow in CO and want the performance to launch it!

How much more track speed do you get from an SX LT vs a regular LT?

I'm on the fence towards a KMS turbo for the KX450F...

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Great break down Jethro. I would just add that folks need to be honest about their snow conditions when going through that summery. We all love waist deep champagne pow. However, unless you live in Utah or Colorado, you will only see two or three of those days all season. When I am involved in this discussion with a dealer, I advise them to break down their season and buy for the "majority" of their season. I'll use 100 days of snow as an example. If you have 10 deep champagne days, that leaves 90 "normal", "average" days, etc. If you love riding the "bike" in general, "all season", do your own breakdown. If you are the guy ALWAYS looking for the big hit, jump, whip, drop, etc... then the SX or ST/TSS is your kit etc... If you're the guy that only rides after a big dump 3 or 4 times a year, like we ended up doing with our sleds, then a 174 X 3" is your set-up etc. There are kits that excel in every situation to choose from. From the best "all around", to a couple that excel in a wider range of conditions. Amazing times for all of us. The new 2016 Timbersled line up is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Very true on establishing what kind of rider you are and what conditions you go out in. Like anything, being honest about what you do is key to finding the most enjoyment in it.

For someone like me who rides in everything from the first snowfall in November to the last traces of snow in July I need something that is fun ALL the time in ALL conditions. Even with this lesser snow year I have put on almost 50 days ranging from rock hard icy trash to 2-3' Pow days.

I originally rode an ST kit and found it provided the best balance of deep snow ability and fun factor in the other 75% of riding conditions we get from wind blown to spring mush. Also realizing I am only 150# in street clothes allows the ST to carry me impressive places even in deeper powdery conditions.

I have put some time on the SX kits and in the harder snow and medium depth pow days. For overall bike like feel it was absolutely a BLAST. Jumped super well, was more nimble, soaked up the trail like a dream. Overall way more fun in harder snow and felt like riding a dirtbike in the sand dunes. Side by side the ST would outpull the SX fairly easily on a 1'+ pow day when we began boondocking.

Next season I will be on an ST with TSS kit in hopes to get the floatation of the ST kit (should be even better with new track) and also get the bump slaying ability of the old SX kits with the new TSS strut rod. Very stoked to get the best of both worlds!

Last edited:
C
Jun 27, 2014
I live in michigan and have a 15 st. It dose everything. But my next kit will be a st sx kit. I think with some suspension mods I can dial it in better to harness more power to the ground. But would love to ride the other models too.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
This year I'll be upgrading my 15 kit with the 16 track and TSS. This is the setup I've been waiting for the past 3 years! So stoked it's finally available!

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I wanted to o with a sx lt kit but ended up going with the st with the tss. because I am 240lbs thought the extra footprint would be handy.

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
I wanted to o with a sx lt kit but ended up going with the st with the tss. because I am 240lbs thought the extra footprint would be handy.

I think the larger footprint helps the overall feel for a heavier rider. I actually preferred the LT over the ST even in spring snow. I think the SXLT will float better being longer even though the footprint square inches is similar to a ST.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I also like the price of the st with tss vs the sx lt with tss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
Pretty much if we can't find fresh tracks we don't go out. For me I've owned an ST and an LT but never an SX. In any kind of snow depth at all the LT kills it. I found it did push a bit more but not enough for me to give up the added floatation it gives. The LT with a strong bike is king in the deep snow, I think it is easier on your bike than an ST where you need to rev the crap out of your bike to keep moving. I'd like to try an LT with the TSS before I pull the trigger on an upgrade. I'm betting a 2.5 track will have a larger impact than any of the other upgrades for older kits.

M5

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Very true on establishing what kind of rider you are and what conditions you go out in. Like anything, being honest about what you do is key to finding the most enjoyment in it.

For someone like me who rides in everything from the first snowfall in November to the last traces of snow in July I need something that is fun ALL the time in ALL conditions. Even with this lesser snow year I have put on almost 50 days ranging from rock hard icy trash to 2-3' Pow days.

That's awesome Nick. Back when I quit sledding, I was only going out after a big dump of snow. That really limited my riding days for the season. I realized I "missed riding" in general. Now that we have Bikes, I don't wait for "certain days" to go ride. The bike is a dirt bike. I don't wait for "certain days" to go ride in the summer. lol I also ride 8 months in ALL conditions. The bike is actually more natural at free riding, like a dirt bike, in spring conditions. April, May, and June are incredible. Last year I would mow my lawn after the ride! lol

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
That's awesome Nick. Back when I quit sledding, I was only going out after a big dump of snow. That really limited my riding days for the season. I realized I "missed riding" in general. Now that we have Bikes, I don't wait for "certain days" to go ride. The bike is a dirt bike. I don't wait for "certain days" to go ride in the summer. lol I also ride 8 months in ALL conditions. The bike is actually more natural at free riding, like a dirt bike, in spring conditions. April, May, and June are incredible. Last year I would mow my lawn after the ride! lol

Sounds like I might need to keep an extra bike. Some overlap there in seasons. I sometimes go with coworkers and they do their first dirt ride out by Vegas around February. Personally I usually don't start till April. I guess I could miss some of the early season trips. But I also ride my dirt bike into November.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Anyone that has rode an SX, how much narrower is the tunnel behind your foot pegs?

My biggest complaint about the ST and LT is that my size 14 boots are always rubbing on the Timbersled tunnel and chaincase on the left side.

I got to ride an LT two days this year and loved it except my left toe is always sticking out.

I would definitely consider an SX LT if it helped keep my heel off the chaincase/tunnel.

Or I guess a guy could get an extra long shifter so I move my foot forward on the peg?

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
Anyone that has rode an SX, how much narrower is the tunnel behind your foot pegs?

My biggest complaint about the ST and LT is that my size 14 boots are always rubbing on the Timbersled tunnel and chaincase on the left side.

I got to ride an LT two days this year and loved it except my left toe is always sticking out.

I would definitely consider an SX LT if it helped keep my heel off the chaincase/tunnel.

Or I guess a guy could get an extra long shifter so I move my foot forward on the peg?

I have noticed what you describe with the ST and LT kits. It is a "non-issue" on my SX. There's enough room that my boots never notice anything is there on the SX. Sometimes I ride on the balls of my feet, meaning my heel is poking back a ways - still no rubbing issues.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I'm curious what will handle batter, a 10.5" SX-LT or a 12.5" ST with TSS?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT

its 1" per side exactly.

That being said the biggest thing we have found is running the Adventure Pegs by Pro Moto Billet. about 1" wider then stockers and you just don't notice the kit hitting your feet like on stock pegs.

I rode twin bikes yesterday one with an SX and one with a standard LT. I could definately tell the SX is narrower then the LT, but that being said, they both had the bigger foot pegs. With that you don't notice the kit like you do normally and I have a size 12 boot. So not much smaller then yours and it made a huge difference with the pegs.

I'm curious what will handle batter, a 10.5" SX-LT or a 12.5" ST with TSS?

That's probably something you have to answer for yourself. People generally don't like the same things, some people like Pro RMK's while others like ski-doo xm's - both handle very different from each other.

For me, the 12.5 ST with TSS will work much better than the SX-LT, I'd even choose the ST without TSS over the SX-LT. I just don't care for the feel of the longer track.

Last edited:
Premium Features