• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ss440 motor swap

D
Sep 3, 2009
has any one ever heard of swapping a phaser 2 engine which happens to be a 600 twin, twin carb liquid cooled into an 83 yamaha ss440 fan cooled i heard from my pops that they make a converson kit for this to be done and i really want it to be done i think it would be original and a sleeper against the new p.o.s sleds any input on this would be appretiated highly. i am relentless to get rid of my oldie goldie but i want more power 80m.p.h doesnt do it for me any more, thanks guys i appretiate the help

D
Sep 3, 2009
a phaser 2 is a 600 twin carb liquid cooled if that doesnt make more power than a 440 fan cooled single carb then i need to get my head checked lol, but really has anyone ever heard of that

I
Dec 10, 2008
I am not aware of any conversion kits for 'any' motor swaps but, they're done all the time.

Just keep your center to centers the same [PTO to jackshaft (s)] and that gets ya going, beyond that, be prepared to hack and weld up the new exhaust to accomodate the phazer motor/exhaust.

Good luck.

D
Sep 3, 2009
yeah thanks i knew there would be some fabrication exhaust, carbs, throttle cable ect..... just thought there was a kit out there for this particular swap "what my pops said" is that there was but hey owell i will make it work thanks for the info appretiate the help

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I think your are thinking of an Exciter 570 LC instead of a Phazer 485 fan.

E

extremsledder

Nov 26, 2007
quesnel b.c.
yea as for a phazer being a 600 definitly not they were all 485 fan colled motors and they didnt go as well and the 440's did, the only 600 twin liquide cooled that i know of that yamaha made was the vmax 600 and the motors from them are a direct bolt in to a yamaha exciter 570 which is also a liquide cooled sled but as for putting a liquide in ss 440 your looking at a lote of work with cooling and motor mount because yamaha did not use motor plates they all hade different mounts off the motor
and if you need proof of the phazer being a 485 go to yamaha-motor.com, go to the sport section, then in the top right corner there is a spot that says hististory click on that, then on the left there is a spot to select what you want history on go to epic snowmobiles you will see, also yamaha has a online parts catalog with diagrams of all they stuff under that parts and service section up top of the page across from where the spot that says history is just to clear things up
but if you do swap a 600 twin in to a ss400 it will be one hell of a fast sled once its clutched and set up right

Last edited:
D
Sep 3, 2009
dude i dont want to be a dick but i have a yamaha phaser 2 which in 93 was a liquid cooled 600 says so on the cylender heads and under the hood on the manufacture sticker i dont kare what a web site says do you believe everything on the internet, this sled is identicle to the v-max 600 x-t i owned one, the only difference is that the head light on the v-max is stationary and on the phaser it moves i will post some pics of what i am talking about tonight or tomarro morning to prove my point and end the confusion

D
Sep 3, 2009
wait yes it is an exciter im sorry buddy for dissing your intelligence i appaligize its been a while since i have played with them about 6 years so i got the names mixed up lol

E

extremsledder

Nov 26, 2007
quesnel b.c.
its ok man and yea i have 2 phazers and one we r doing to motor in right now trust me its definitly fan cooled your probly thinking of the exciter they are basicly a liquid cooled phazer and i do trust the yamaha site i think they would know what they made.

D
Sep 3, 2009
well newho do you have any info for me cuz i was just going to take a spare radiator from a kawasaki invader to make that liquid cooled engine work in my ss440 and the rest im not sure do they make any engine plates to fit whatever i want under the hood?

E

extremsledder

Nov 26, 2007
quesnel b.c.
yea the cooling system from the invader should work there is also a heat exchanger in the tunnel of the invader that youwill want to use as well as the rad, as for mounting the motor if you have both motors with the mounts on them i would try to compari and she how different the mounts are also i think that on the ss440 the crank go's through the frame so this also adds some problems, but make sure to get your center to center on the clutches on the 440 and the offset so you know where to place your new motor and then just try test fitting things and see how much things have to move, just a matter of cutting mounts and welling new ones on the frame and being that its a steal bulkhead its not to bad to do just make sure to test fit things lots and have fun iam sure it can be done but it will be a fair bit or work, one other thing is with the dual carbs you may have clearance problems with your sterring poost as i did when i put twin carbs on my ss440 motor in my srv frame but good luck and have fun

D
Sep 3, 2009
well ok but if i used the radiator off the invader wouldnt that be enough to keep the engine cool? kuz the heat exchange got junked with my parts kawasaki sled"****". and yeah the primary on the ss engine does go thrugh the steel frame but im not sure if the exciters does or not. and far as welding new mounts on should i remove all electricle **** from the exciter engine before i do this kuz i have had bad luck with cdi boxs in the past

E

extremsledder

Nov 26, 2007
quesnel b.c.
um i would think you will need more cooling capacity than just the rad so if you have some heat exchangers from the exciter even they would work, as for removing the electrical it wouldnt hurt just to be sure

Premium Features