• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spring riding tutorial

E
Dec 19, 2007
Man this place is dead lately... I guess everyone's season ended mar 20th. News flash - its still winter in the mountains it doesn't matter what color your grass is at your house.

The rockies did well this year and most places will be good til june/july if you still have access to snow line, Go for it. Go during the storm to get real pow above 10k or wait 2 days and go in the afternoon. The pow gets kinda sticky the first day the sun hits it. Avoid south facing slopes and and lower elevation creeks they cave in sometimes. Also near boulders and stumps will get soggy when sun hits it. But its just getting good up there. A whole new riding area is opening up as we speak to ride where only the mountain goats can go. Don't use a yeti ski, and if you camso, watch the side hills might take you for a ride sideways.

2 years ago my buddies drove from IOWA to the snowies may 20th for a 3 day storm. We camped in the paved parking lot above 10k. It was pretty epic. Don't give up yet.

R
Apr 18, 2016
Shattered shoulder, so much arthritis in it the only thing the surgeons want to do is replace it...I'm not having that. Season ended before it started for me this year. I came to grips that there will be no snowbiking this year. I came to grips no dirtbiking since Christmas. I'm going to wakesurf all summer and stay off the bikes and hope all is well come Fall and get back to riding singletrack.

Been working hard in the gym and at home. I can adjust the buttons on my stereo with my right arm and can lift it above my head so it's getting better but slow. Enjoy the Spring.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I rode once this year and it was taking the gf out on a date while she rode the sled... was basically a 1/3rd day. my winter sucked. we got no snow to begin with and it was gone by the start of march and all my buddies suck. been dirtbiking the last few days on a brand new 18 250xcw. at least the snowbike is ready for next year... if we even get any snow.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Yesterday, we had the best day so far since I started this new sport two years ago. Took the two Camsos up 250kms north of Toronto to Huntsville, Ontario. The area had 2-3 inches a couple of days ago. Temps were +1C and the sun was out all day. Rode 50kms. A glorious day way back in the bush climbing maple hills and crossing creeks...nice end to this season.:wine::musicnote::face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-hap

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
mudd and sno

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

oh yeah, rock hard snow at 9 am, bottomless sno cone mush at 4 pm
Got lucky Sat the 30th, we had rain in town and snow up high a couple of days leading up the to weekend, concrete base with 6" dense new snow, but oh man was it brutal, more bumps and dips and drops from the sculptured old corn snow from the week before and harder than hard. WOW, ALWAYS something new out there. Let the air out of our forks, dropped out suspension springs back to almost no pretension, that was a big improvement.

Last edited:

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah the riding is still great here in the Kootenays. Saturday and Sunday were some of the best days of the season. Except that for the first time this year I had to load the bike in the truck instead of riding from home. What a freaking nuisance. Oh well. Still lots of riding left.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Moab

I rode once this year and it was taking the gf out on a date while she rode the sled... was basically a 1/3rd day. my winter sucked. we got no snow to begin with and it was gone by the start of march and all my buddies suck. been dirtbiking the last few days on a brand new 18 250xcw. at least the snowbike is ready for next year... if we even get any snow.

You should take another trip to moab. Bring the snowbike this time. The La Sals are crushing it. Stop by Salt Lake. Were still getting out a few times a week and conditions and base are epic!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I always hated spring snow on a sled. Its actually fun on a bike. Snowpack is 161% of normal in my riding areas its going to be a good spring! I rode into areas last weekend I've never been. It was perfect 14" of new on plenty of base to cover everything that's normally a problem.

Premium Features