• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot works

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
there have been a lot of folks who have begun carrying Spots with them, and wonder if they will really work....well i tried mine out yesterday, due to a fellow sledder who broke his back (more of the story in the Utah section)....i activated the Spot and used the 911 function....my family and the search and rescue agency were both notified.....Spots location fix was right on the button....we got our guy out, he's going to be ok....liabilities to the system, we at the accident site don't know if our Spot message was received...because of the seriousness of the situation, we had to send two riders back about 25 miles or so until they could find a ranch house with phone service (no cell service where we were).....Spot doesn't initiate life-flight because of their limited information, and rely on s&r to access the situation when they get there......just the Spot alone would have gotten the s&r guys and gals there....the phone contact refined what we needed (life-flight) and further clarified to the s&r folks as to where we were....there are lots of overlap in the viewpoints of all the people involved, bottom line to me is the Spot worked.....and it takes a lot of coordinated effort to get a busted body back to the hospital, and everyone did a great job!!!!

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
Great story and cool that the outcome was positive. Remember the indicator lights on the spot FLASH TOGETHER if it has a satelite lock. You can assume if you see them blink together you message is getting out. If they "wig wag" or don't flash together you need to move to a better location. I think most of the time, they are looking for a bird on the southern horizon (not sure AOR or POR and if it changes based on your initiall link).

As for the life flight need, sounds like you guys did all the right things. Good on ya. Your friend is lucky to have smart partners. :)

Hauler

C
Nov 26, 2007
Our family got a SPOT for our father this year. He is turning 80 and is an avid outdoorsman. He hikes, motorcycles, rides ATV, and snowmobiles. He lives 30 miles from the nearest phone and 60 from the nearest medical service.
He often hikes alone, not just little hikes, 10 miles hikes. He now carries his SPOT and we can see where he is at.

It is also fun to watch from our home computers and see where he was riding for the day.

Great investment for us.

Premium Features