• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPOT 2 Review

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
Well got to actually use my SPOT on the hill this weekend and am quite impressed with it. The Help and SOS buttons have a nice little cover over them so you don't acciendtly push them. The messages that i sent took around 3-5 minutes to go through, which may seem a little long but i hit the button when i stopped for a break and by the time i was ready the message was sent. There is a little light that flashes that tells you if you have a gps lock and if your message sent. A good investment in my mind.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Have the prices for this service come DOWN???

1 Year Basic Plan, $99.99

The Basic Service Plan for the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger includes these unlimited services:
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height: 60px;"> <td valign="top">
spot2_icons_sos_43x33.png
</td> <td valign="top"> SOS
Notifies the emergency response center of your GPS location

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 60px;"> <td valign="top">
spot2_icons_help_43x33.png
</td> <td valign="top"> Help
Ask family and friends for help or request SPOT Assist
(additional service fee for SPOT Assist)

spot2_icons_ok_43x33.png
</td> <td valign="top"> Check-in/OK
Let contacts know where you are and that your are OK

spot2_icons_msg_43x33.png
</td> <td valign="top"> Custom Message
Send a custom message to family and friends

</td></tr></tbody></table>===

Track Progress $49.99
Track Progress allows friends and family to follow your progress online in real time or to save waypoints so you can review your entire route at a later date. SPOT Track Progress automatically sends your GPS location waypoint to a Google Map every 10 minutes.

GEOS Member Rescue Benefit $12.95
Geos provide the SOS/911 monitoring included in your Basic Service. You can upgrade to the GEOS Member Benefit for reimbursement of up to $100K in Search and Rescue (SAR) expenses - even coordinating a private SAR contractor if needed to get you to safety.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
I got it through http://sledsafe.com/

I paid $150, and then $99 for the subscription. Got free shipping and first year of tracking free as well, not sure if this deal is still ongoing or not.

I ordered mine just as the mass recall went out on the SPOT 2's. He kept me informed of any new info he got and always promptly replyed to my e-mails. And the option to cancel my order was always on the table. I wouldn't have any problem ordering from them again.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
only problem with that is i don't have a quad or something

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
did you try the "tracking" feature? Last reports of the older model was up to and over 30 minutes for web site to reflect location changes.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
i didn't try the tracking feature yet, but just sending a message was within a couple mintues it arrived in my e-mail. It'll be a while before i'll have a chance to test it out, but will once i'm off work

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have one from work that we are experimenting for our use of working in the woods alone for a check-in system. I took it out riding yesterday with a different set of contacts on the system. I basically set up a new profile for riding than I do for the work purpose.

I'm not sure the tracking feature is going to be all that handy given that we are on the move and it is sometimes slow to transmit. I think for the general purpose of sending someone a message that you are "ok", running late, non-emergency-send help, or the all-mighty Oh Crap button will serve more of a purpose. One nice thing is that only one person in a group probably needs one if the group can stay together. I like the idea that you can send the ok, just to mark a general point of where you are riding because sometimes we change our minds on the drive up, or the launch point is blocked or something. Then if you are running late, you can beep it again to let someone know you are on your way. Also, I think the covered button (non-SOS) could be used for a non-emergency "I need some help" feature, such as the pickup battery is dead, tree across the road since we went in, sled in ravine or something. By having it post to the map, the receiver could then determine what kind of help and how many to send.

Overall, I think this can be a nice tool as the interface is pretty easy to set up different contacts for a given profile. You could have a profile with contacts for hunting, one set for sledding, one set for quadding, etc. depending on who you want to know or come looking for you.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
I found some more info on other PLB options. there are some links further down of other manufacturers. I dont know how accurate this data is so buyer beware.

When can I purchase and start using a PLB? Just one example.. http://www.offroute.com/category/category.asp?x_ID=14348&gclid=CL3CstG9vKECFaEN5QodUhSsDw Make sure you are sitting down when you see the prices other than the Spot. But then you hjave to figure in the functionality of the others and the fact that Spot has a yearly subscription so it really cost considerable more than it apeers.

PLBs have been authorized for use since July 1, 2003. U.S. residents are now able to purchase, register, and use your PLB anywhere in the United States.

Where are Personal Locator Beacons being sold?

Personal Locator Beacons are being sold in various outdoor supply stores, boating supply stores, electronics stores, and thru online and catalog distributors.

What companies manufacture Personal Locator Beacons for use in the United States?

The following companies are selling PLBs or are expected to very shortly.

my links didnt come across..so google these for more info.

ACR Electronics
McMurdo
Kannad
Microwave Monolithics/Wireless Concepts
Northern Airborne Technology (NAT)
How much will they cost?

The PLBs will cost approximately $300 - $800, depending on the model and the manufacturer.

What is to stop a person from having a flat tire and then using the PLB to seek help?

Unfortunately, nothing. If a person feels that they are in distress, there is nothing to prevent them from activating their PLB. However, the users should be aware that the individuals responding to their distress alert will be a dedicated rescue response and not an auto mechanic. As such, the user should rely on an emergency roadside assistance service to provide them the correct response. As well, the user should be aware that he/she is wasting valuable rescue resources that may also be pulling the team away from a legitimate distress.

NOAA therefore encourages all PLB users to be acutely aware of the responsibility that comes with owning this device. PLBs are a distress alerting tool and they work exceptionally well. PLB users should familiarize themselves with proper testing and operating procedures to mitigate against false activation.

Will there be a penalty for an intentional false alert?

Under federal law, 14USC88, knowingly and willfully transmitting a hoax distress call is a felony. It is punishable by up to six years in prison, a $250,000 fine, and restitution to the rescue agency for all costs incurred responding to the distress.

Have other countries permitted the use of the 406 MHz PLBs?

Several countries have permitted the use of 406 MHz PLBs since their development in the 1990's. Notably this includes many of the European countries, Russia, Canada, and Australia to name a few.

In the United States, PLBs have only been permitted for use in Alaska since 1994 under an experimental program. This experimental program was developed to test the feasibility for PLB usage throughout the rest of the United States. It was in part due to the success of the PLB program in Alaska in which over 250 individuals have been rescued that the FCC granted the authorization of PLBs for use nationwide.

Will I have to register my PLB with NOAA?

Absolutely! All emergency distress beacons - including EPIRBs (used by commerical vessels), ELTs (used by aircraft) and PLBs are required to be registered with NOAA. Register your beacon at our online registration website: http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov

Last edited:

Putzy

Premium Member
Sep 30, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was looking into getting a PLB for my riding group. It sounds like the SPOT has been having problems and i'm not such a fan of the yearly subscription. Has anyone used the ACR SARlink? Seems like it may be a better option.

4mcntrls

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Drayton Valley Alberta
We use the original SPOT at work. We have 17 of them with no issues, We are just starting to try the SPOT 2 and so far have had no issues with it either. I really like the smaller size, I hope that the SPOT 2 continues to work as well as the first ones, so far so good.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
The biggest negative with the Spot and PLBs in general is that there is no way to communicate the actual situation to rescuers. Is someone dead? Severely injured? Having a heart attack? Or are you just lost and jumped the gun on the SOS? Will you die if you spend the night, or will it just suck but be ok?
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Not to mention it is very unfair to rescuers to charge blindly out to rescue you thinking it is bad when it may be more prudent to wait and gather more resources/go at a safer time/etc. Our society all feels so entitled to have SAR/FIRE/POLICE/EMS people risk themselves to come rescue us when we get in trouble, yet most people take little to no preparation to avoid the situation in the first place. Let alone prepare to handle it if it does.

<O:p</O:pI agree the Spot is better than nothing and I even used to carry a PLB myself 5 years ago. Now the only real solution in my mind is a Sat phone. You can rent them for a very reasonable cost and split over a group for a few trips a year it is not much more than the Spot subscription. If you go all the time maybe just bite the bullet and buy one. YMMV

Premium Features