• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spindle Chat...

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I've read numerous times that the 19 backcountry spindle is what they used on the expert.. Only time will tell, I pick up my bcx on the 21st, I'll take some pics and post them up then.

I checked and the ski rubber part number is the same as well. Has me a little excited. haha.. don't ruin it for me! jk.

Not even close, not the same part number, totally different. The spindles on the expert are NOT the same as the backcountry XRS and No we were not going to use the Backcountry XRS Spindles and Rubbers on the Expert.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Not even close, not the same part number, totally different. The spindles on the expert are NOT the same as the backcountry XRS and No we were not going to use the Backcountry XRS Spindles and Rubbers on the Expert.
Better tell your internet microfiche people to fix the website then. :LOL:

All summits except the expert carry the same part numbers for the spindles. the summit expert and the backcountry xrs as well as the renegade xrs spindle are all the same part number. According to the Ski-doo website it is anyways.

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
I was really disappointed with the marketing that SkiDoo did regarding these spindles. There were suppose to have a geometry change however after ordering and receiving a set and putting them up to the stock spindles they are extremely close, there is a little change in the casting in the heal and the tip of the spindle near the ski bolt. The location of the ski bolt dose not move. THATS IT. To me It's not worth a 200$ upgrade so I returned them only to be charged 25% RESTOCKING FEE from my local dealer who backed up skidoos clams to the adjusted geometry. What really irritates me is I went in the dealer to order a ZRP Spindle kit and they talked me out of it now I'm down 50$ and no spindles. Thanks Skidoo

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Skidoo needs to come clean on this deal.........I just about ordered the spindle kit before all the fake news came out, but ordered the Durapro rubbers instead.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
...as the front of the skid is raised, it appears that ski pressure would be greater. To reduce this, wouldn't you have to put more pressure on the front track shock, there for INCREASING said attack angle?

.. trying to wrap my head around it!

Ace

ZRP... can you weigh in on this?

What are the recommended suspension changes?

Ace

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Better tell your internet microfiche people to fix the website then. :LOL:

All summits except the expert carry the same part numbers for the spindles. the summit expert and the backcountry xrs as well as the renegade xrs spindle are all the same part number. According to the Ski-doo website it is anyways.

The website might need some work. Typically errors are corrected over time. The rubbers are not the same, if you read through this thread you would already know that to be true. We have not seen a rubber like the one in the kit ever before.

I'm with ZRP maybe this spindle was initially designed for the expert and used on the backcountry first or the website just has an error.

ebnewbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2019
There is a geometry change. The expert upper A arm is slightly angled up. The one on the right is the expert. I installed the doo pivot shaft through both spindles to keep them aligned.

IMG_20191115_205904_hdr.jpg IMG_20191115_210012_hdr.jpg IMG_20191115_210055_hdr.jpg

ebnewbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2019
In this pic they are inverted, so the left is the expert. I used a ski rubber cushion to level them, as the casting are different

IMG_20191115_205827_hdr.jpg

ebnewbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2019
First photo is expert lower A arm. As you can see the expert spindle is Angeled back. Which should lift the doo upward slightly to get it to ride up on the snow. Much the same as a boat now when up on plane. Less resistance, will skip across throughs. Later today I will put a degree angle finder on it.

IMG_20191115_210651_hdr.jpg IMG_20191115_210707_hdr.jpg

ebnewbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2019
The first pic has the original cushion in front, second on the left. It would appear that the expert will keep the ski nose up also, and allow the ski to tilt side to side.

IMG_20191115_210930_hdr.jpg IMG_20191115_210810_burst_01.jpg

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The first pic has the original cushion in front, second on the left. It would appear that the expert will keep the ski nose up also, and allow the ski to tilt side to side.

Thanks for doing all that work. What's the weight difference between the new and old spindles?

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
There is a geometry change. The expert upper A arm is slightly angled up. The one on the right is the expert. I installed the doo pivot shaft through both spindles to keep them aligned.

I think you're reading way too much into that angle. That is not a functional surface. Unless they changed the angle of the hole through that lug there is no functional difference between the two spindles.

Look at the picture of the Expert in post #76. There's a ball joint on the A-arm just above this surface. Only if they changed the angle of the hole would the relative location of the spindle to the A-arm be changed. They would have to change the angle a LOT to make any sort of handling difference.

Conclusion - as has been stated over and over, the spindle geometry is the same.

ebnewbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2019
Not likely. I do this stuff for a living. If you change the angle of both the upper and lower A arm ball joint holes relative to the center line of the spindles, then it will change the approach angle on the ski.

grich8888

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I commented before, as have others, and I have had both in my hands and I installed the new spindle. There are no changes to the geometry. It is slightly lighter, 200G is what I weighed, vs 400 that is described in the product details. Otherwise, it is the SAME. DONE.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I commented before, as have others, and I have had both in my hands and I installed the new spindle. There are no changes to the geometry. It is slightly lighter, 200G is what I weighed, vs 400 that is described in the product details. Otherwise, it is the SAME. DONE.

200g each. They never said one spindle was 400g lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grich8888

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
200g each. They never said one spindle was 400g lighter.

I likely misread the ad for the spindle and wanted to be optimistic. Thanks for pointing it out. It just says spindle is 400g lighter not SPINDLES, which is why I thought each one would be 400g lighter.

The point I was trying to make above, which had been made a number of times in the 5 pages of the thread, the spindles are the same geometry, the differences are in the weight of the spindle and the ski rubber that is included.
1574802894945.png

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
WOW! IF there is a geometry change (which seems unlikely) it isn't much....

...lets focus on the ZRP spindle... does the 3/8 move in Geometry make a big difference?

...what about the hi rise spindles?

Ace

Premium Features