• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spindle Chat...

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Anyone have any feedback on the ZRP Spindles?

Anyone have any feedback on the new Doo "Expert" Spindles?

Anyone ever compared the Doo and Zrp Spindle side by side?

Ace

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
From what I can tell the geometry is nearly identical I ordered the expert spindles after trying to order the ZRP spindles. ZRP was making things difficult on my dealer that’s why I went with factory over ZRP

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
How much does the spindle really help the sidehill struggles of these sleds? Getting mixed feedback on them. Some think replacing the rubbers will do the trick. Some think you need to replace both. Would love to see a diagram/illustration of how the spindle changes ski positioning in a counter steer

ThePennySaved

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2017
AK
I put Durapro bushings on my '19 Summit X halfway through last winter and was quite happy with the results. Absolutely worth the $100 or so. I also spent about 20 minutes on a demo '20 Expert in March and it felt pretty similar to my sled but it was an admittedly short ride.

That said, I am planning on buying and trying the "Expert" spindles this year and putting those Durapro's on my girlfriend's sled. Can't help but tinker ...

Also of note: I recently read on ZRP's facebook page that the "Expert" spindles are actually an existing Ski-doo trail sled spindle and supposedly 1/2" shorter than the Summit spindle. That was the first I had heard of the height different and I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere else. For what it's worth, ZRP said that on their post promoting their new 1.25" riser spindles - can anyone else confirm the height difference between Summit and Expert spindles?

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
...I feel that this sled side hills effortlessly, so I guess I'm at a loss at the "Sidehill Struggle" that you see...

Ace
I'm on a 154 3" and have a hunch my track choice creates or exacerbates the issue but my sled seems to want to go uphill when sidehilling. Not a deal breaker as I'm still able to make it where I'm looking but it definitely seems to take a little more finesse to keep on a straight line compared to my old axys.

What are you hoping to gain by upgrading spindles? Not as familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of changes as I'd like to be

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
What are you hoping to gain by upgrading spindles? Not as familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of changes as I'd like to be

... fair question... just been reading about them, and wanted to get the scoop from someone that has knowledge about them. See if it is worth getting, or just internet hype.

Ace

S
Oct 28, 2019
Colorado
Just swapped my spindles for the ZRP lift spindles. My rubbers are thrashed. One has a big ol split in it. I’ve replaced them every year. I’ll be trying the durapro as well.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Munster Ski savers work awesome with new stock rubbers at least on my 14' Xm Summit X 163 huge difference in ski stab literally fixed that problem. I'm gonna ad durapro rubbers this yr and swap to Ds3 ski. Ski literally can't point up to far or the Munster pieces would have to break or the spindle one of the two.
1cad48edbc22f8b2bf3e404230dd4cb7.jpg

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

S
Nov 7, 2015
Rigby, Idaho
I ran the standard ZRP spindles last season, pulling the skid bolt back 3/8" aligns the pivot point and allows for easier handlebar manipulations on sidehills (huge benefit for a small guy like me that uses heavy bar input instead of body weight) Lift spindles are on so we will see how that goes...

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Skinz concept front end works very well on the g4 . If someone is looking for a kit I have a used one for sale(sold the sled).

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I put Durapro bushings on my '19 Summit X halfway through last winter and was quite happy with the results. Absolutely worth the $100 or so. I also spent about 20 minutes on a demo '20 Expert in March and it felt pretty similar to my sled but it was an admittedly short ride.

That said, I am planning on buying and trying the "Expert" spindles this year and putting those Durapro's on my girlfriend's sled. Can't help but tinker ...

Also of note: I recently read on ZRP's facebook page that the "Expert" spindles are actually an existing Ski-doo trail sled spindle and supposedly 1/2" shorter than the Summit spindle. That was the first I had heard of the height different and I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere else. For what it's worth, ZRP said that on their post promoting their new 1.25" riser spindles - can anyone else confirm the height difference between Summit and Expert spindles?

I can confirm the 2019 Backcountry uses this same spindle or at least the parts diagrams for the 2020 Expert and 2019 Backcountry have the same part numbers for the spindles. The numbers are different for different paint colors so that means you could order the red or blue spindles but one spindle is about the same cost as the whole kit you can order in 2020.

ThePennySaved

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2017
AK
I can confirm the 2019 Backcountry uses this same spindle or at least the parts diagrams for the 2020 Expert and 2019 Backcountry have the same part numbers for the spindles. The numbers are different for different paint colors so that means you could order the red or blue spindles but one spindle is about the same cost as the whole kit you can order in 2020.

Thanks for the info. On a different spindle thread Norona just confirmed that the Summit and Expert spindles have the same geometry, the Expert spindle is simply "lighter and fit new ski stop, same geometry."

With that knowledge in hand, methinks I'll stick with the Durapro; It may be unsprung weight but 400 grams is not worth the extra $140.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks for the info. On a different spindle thread Norona just confirmed that the Summit and Expert spindles have the same geometry, the Expert spindle is simply "lighter and fit new ski stop, same geometry."

With that knowledge in hand, methinks I'll stick with the Durapro; It may be unsprung weight but 400 grams is not worth the extra $140.

It's my understanding the the new spindle has a new geometry. In the video he specifically states a more aggressive "spindle".

Bret R mentions new geometry in this video.

There is also a video somewhere of Bret R with an Expert on edge on a concrete floor showing how the geometry allows the ski to pivot without resistance on the floor (while on edge). The new rubber alone wouldn't do this on a concrete floor. Why would retool for a new spindle if the rubber did the same thing? Time will tell...

DuraPro

DuraPro - Perfection by Design™
Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
Perhaps its helpful to know that we've been able to verify, along with a few riders and dealers of ours that DuraPro dampers also fit the 2020 spindles (including the Expert package). As for a change in the geometry of the OEM spindle, if there is one (on the bottom side) it is very, very small.

Last edited:

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We totally agree the stock rubbers are not great. We feel its not the actual spindle that the issue it's where it is. The G4 is still twitchy(as seen in Daves N short vid) Have a look at what our kit does in helping with the twitch and making riding on edge easier. We will also have a set of DuroPro's on this year. As out stock rubber were shot.

Premium Features