• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPI fix kit

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
$295 from Go Big Parts. I would also like to here some feedback.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I've used a couple of the spi fix kits and haven't had a problem. As far as I know the sleds I put the kits in ate still running strong. One kit came with an aluminum spacer and the other came with a steel spacer they where ordered from 2 different companies. On a Polaris motor I would go with a spi kit vs a kit that uses a wisceo piston.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
ditto on the SPI pistons! I have had problems with Wiesco pistons in the fix kit! In my last three top ends, I used just the SPI stock pistons and on one of those I took out the fix kit plate and went back to stock SPI pistons and those are still running great. If I can't convince the owner to use OEM polaris pistons, then I recommend SPI. I used Sno-X pistons for many years and the last time I ordered and received pistons from Sno-X, I got SPI, so I just cut the middleman.
gtwitch in wyoming

T
Dec 20, 2018
ditto on the SPI pistons! I have had problems with Wiesco pistons in the fix kit! In my last three top ends, I used just the SPI stock pistons and on one of those I took out the fix kit plate and went back to stock SPI pistons and those are still running great. If I can't convince the owner to use OEM polaris pistons, then I recommend SPI. I used Sno-X pistons for many years and the last time I ordered and received pistons from Sno-X, I got SPI, so I just cut the middleman.
gtwitch in wyoming

you could try HPP5074 at Cvtech...most of their hpp line of pistons are snow-x.....

D
Shims are not needed. Go with a stock piston setup.
I have installed a lot of stock pistons. They are ok except the skirts collapse. This is a verifiable dimension which can be measured. I have never been a real fan of the spacer plates however if it has worked for you it cant be all bad. I have been using the RK TEK Wiseco pistons and have not had any issues/failures at all. Simple solution.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
If you do go with the spi fix kit some kits come with a paper base gasket. Do not use the paper gasket. I've had 3 motors come in with leaking paper base gaskets. Use the oem style coated gasket. Also for the extra $100.00 your getting a spacer, longer locating dowels, new longer cylinder bolts and hopefully a good base gasket.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Here is the link to all of the SPI pistons. We also have gasket sets. If you don't see them please contact me. https://www.gobigparts.com/Snowmobile-Products/Engine/FIX-IT-KITS-PISTONS/

54-9221PS.jpg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I just bought a sled with one of Dan's long rod motors and '15 OE pistons, and from all my research, that's the best engine setup for a Pro. Trouble is, that's $3695. Worth it if you've got a sled you've put some money into already and love, but hard to justify for the average Pro. If the crank runout is good and the cylinders aren't junk, the fix kit may be just the ticket to buy another season or two.

Premium Features