• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx Supercharger

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Who is doing one? Anybody have any experience riding one? What are the pros and cons? How do they compare to a turbo?

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I do not have one on a sled, but have been using Prochargers for years on hotrods I build. When they 1st came out about 25 yrs ago for cars and trucks I built my own brackets to use in different applicantions. Now they have them turn key with excellent fit, finish and drivability for the auto industry. It's crazy how much hp you can make with these because they don't add the heat as much as a turbo so you can run more boost, especially with inter cooling . The Procharger company doesnt make kits for the power sports industry, thats where a few aftermarket companies like Speedworks come in. They (aftermarket) are making the brackets, tunes etc to make these work for SXS's, motorcycles and snowmobiles. The pro's are less under hood heat, much lower inlet air temps, slight boost even at idle (impeller always spinning) resulting in excellent throttle response, very reliable and self contained oiling system, no need to change compression domes on sled for different altitudes like some turbos and runs on pump gas. Con's is there isn't as many out there compared to all the turbos so the cost is higher for building and tuning, and lower gains at sea level. Compared to a turbo you will have instant boost, good blower reliability but run ability will depend on who is tuning them similar to turbos. If you look at the Procharger site, you will see a basic chart of what the small blowers will produce. For instance aB-1 on a 150ph N/A motor will produce up to 250hp boosted. A smaller A-1R will take a 95hp N/A up to 150hp boosted. https://www.procharger.com/sites/default/files/Supercharger_Specs-POWERSPORTS.jpg
The pic below is on my old corvette test mule. This blower has been through the ringer and never fails and embarrasses a lot of people, just driven to church on Sundays of course ;)IMG_5761.JPG

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I talked to Kevin yesterday, lots of kits are being made, but because of the demand they are on back order. There is no dome changes for different altitudes like some turbos, just a simple pulley change. Value wise they don't have very good gains for the price at sea level lower altitudes, but the higher altitude kits are running great on just pump gas. If you have more questions you can call Speedwerx at 1-651-982-6020

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't know where they are mounting the heat exchanger for the intercooler system on the Polaris kits, but on the Cats it is on the bottom of the bulkhead under the motor. So if early season rock and stump bashing is your thing it is susceptible to damage. Since they are building boost all the time they always require extra fuel so they can be thirsty. Friend has one on his Alpha and If he wants to make it over 45 miles he needs to pack extra fuel. After riding his it would be the only way I'd go if I were boosting a sled.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I have a supercharged jetski, the bottom end is amazing, but the boost is revalant to the throttle, it's always adding boost and can be hard on fuel, I wish I had the option to turn my charger off for those days that I just wanna tour around in the heat.
My boat has a supercharger and it can be shut off via a switch but the bottom end tottaly sucks without the boost.

J
Mar 8, 2019
I have a supercharged jetski, the bottom end is amazing, but the boost is revalant to the throttle, it's always adding boost and can be hard on fuel, I wish I had the option to turn my charger off for those days that I just wanna tour around in the heat.
My boat has a supercharger and it can be shut off via a switch but the bottom end tottaly sucks without the boost.
What supercharger are you running on your boat that is controlled by a switch? not saying isn’t possible but I never heard of such I’ve been around quite a few supercharged boats and it’s not one of those things you just flip a switch and turn off.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
What supercharger are you running on your boat that is controlled by a switch? not saying isn’t possible but I never heard of such I’ve been around quite a few supercharged boats and it’s not one of those things you just flip a switch and turn off.
I have a Diesel powered Volvo kad44, supercharged and turbo charged.
The charger is shut off by a solenoid, so if I wanna cruise at high idle instead of planing, I just turn the charger off, otherwise it sits there and whines like a dog ready to run lol

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I don't know where they are mounting the heat exchanger for the intercooler system on the Polaris kits, but on the Cats it is on the bottom of the bulkhead under the motor. So if early season rock and stump bashing is your thing it is susceptible to damage. Since they are building boost all the time they always require extra fuel so they can be thirsty. Friend has one on his Alpha and If he wants to make it over 45 miles he needs to pack extra fuel. After riding his it would be the only way I'd go if I were boosting a sled.
The heat exchanger on the Procharged Axys is under the tunnel, to install it you need to remove the gas tank. It uses an auxiliary water pump as well. Our Jet ski has a supercharger as well and pulls tubes better than our boat lol, but at 250hp it does like the gas. Not sure who likes the jet ski better, my kids or the local gas station ;)

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Why is this? Shouldn't the boost be relative to the pulley you use?
Hey Motorbreath, I should clarify, this was from what Kevin at Speedwerx said. They have excellent gains at elevation but are running such low boost at low elevation with their current tune that the value for the gains is not there if your only ride sea level, which is the same for the turbos. My friends with turbos that ride here in Upper MI don't have much for gains for the same reason, but work "well" out west.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Hey Motorbreath, I should clarify, this was from what Kevin at Speedwerx said. They have excellent gains at elevation but are running such low boost at low elevation with their current tune that the value for the gains is not there if your only ride sea level, which is the same for the turbos. My friends with turbos that ride here in Upper MI don't have much for gains for the same reason, but work "well" out west.
I guess they are focusing on pump gas tunes.

Thanks for the info!

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Now that we're into February it's been a couple of months (hopefully) since several of these have been put to the test (in the mountains at upper elevations). Anyone who has one or who has seen one on the Axys 850 care to give some feedback?? I know there's a lot of great feedback from those that have these on the Cat. In fact, I saw a supercharged Alpha this weekend in the parking lot and talked with his buddy who is on a Silber Turbo'd skidoo. He said he loves his Silber but nowhere near what the supercharger does. Said there are no draw backs that he could see and that it runs flawless. BUT, that is on an Alpha and I believe that Speedwerx actually works with Cat and has for many years in developing and refining their product. Just not sure how dialed in the Polaris kit is.

To not only not lose anything on the bottom end but actually gain HP AND be able to have over 200hp on the top end on pump gas sounds amazing. Would love to hear how it's actually working on the Polaris 850. I've got the Mtntk kit on an '18 Axys 800. I've got the boost set at about 11 lbs for 9k feet. I'm mixing to 94 total octane just to be safe. Had a great ride at about 9k feet this weekend with relatively good riding conditions (not blower powder but pretty soft and deep). We played hard in the trees and on hills all day. Did about 55 miles total. I carried 2.6 gallons of extra fuel and used every bit of it and was on fumes as we got back to the trucks, so the turbo set up that I have drinks the fuel.

A
Dec 23, 2018
I ran one on a cat a few years back.
Ran clean and bottom end response was good but don’t expect the power/track speed of a turbo. The SC take power to make power and takes a lot to turn it seemed to rev a little slower then my turbos I think honestly they are making track speed and starting to pull at about the same time.

Will be another option for a SC soon that’s much more affordable price for many people the speed Werx is pretty expensive kit

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
I ran one on a cat a few years back.
Ran clean and bottom end response was good but don’t expect the power/track speed of a turbo. The SC take power to make power and takes a lot to turn it seemed to rev a little slower then my turbos I think honestly they are making track speed and starting to pull at about the same time.

Will be another option for a SC soon that’s much more affordable price for many people the speed Werx is pretty expensive kit

Thanks for the reply @andrew90

So Let's say my turbo creates 220 Motor HP and the SC kit also creates 220 Motor HP, the actual result will yield less of an actual output (track speed?)?? That seems to make sense since the SC is pulling power to make it run but I would love to know how much less efficient it is!!! In other words if the SC kit allows the motor to create 220 HP how much motor HP does the turbod sled have to create to be roughly equivalent. Is it only 190 HP(maybe just maybe the turbo kits are creating as much as 190 HP on pump gas but I doubt it!!) or is it more like 215 HP from the turbo to create the same track speed/efficiency. If it's a big difference between those 2 AND if the low end isn't actually much improved by the SC compared to the turbo than it's not really worth the expense. However, if the difference in Motor HP to get the same actual result is negligible than it seems to make total sense.

To compare a base level turbo kit and the cost of it to the SC kit is like comparing apples to oranges. You simply get more with the SC kit in material alone. When you look at the Boondocker Agility kit with the intercooler the cost is $6,100. The cost for the SC kit is $6,750. If the difference in actual output is marginal between the 2, than it's debatable whether it's worth it or not. But if there's a big improvement, especially on the low end performance, and you get a lot more HP on the top end with the SC kit while on Pump Gas than it seems that it's totally worth it.

Of course, this assumes that each kit is dialed in and especially the fuel mapping is right, which seems to be the toughest thing to figure out for the aftermarket world... thus the reason for my earlier post looking for real world experience from guys who have actually put some miles on with this kit specifically on a Polaris 850.

A
Dec 23, 2018

So Let's say my turbo creates 220 Motor HP and the SC kit also creates 220 Motor HP, the actual result will yield less of an actual output (track speed?)?? That seems to make sense since the SC is pulling power to make it run but I would love to know how much less efficient it is!!! In other words if the SC kit allows the motor to create 220 HP how much motor HP does the turbod sled have to create to be roughly equivalent. Is it only 190 HP(maybe just maybe the turbo kits are creating as much as 190 HP on pump gas but I doubt it!!) or is it more like 215 HP from the turbo to create the same track speed/efficiency. If it's a big difference between those 2 AND if the low end isn't actually much improved by the SC compared to the turbo than it's not really worth the expense. However, if the difference in Motor HP to get the same actual result is negligible than it seems to make total sense.

To compare a base level turbo kit and the cost of it to the SC kit is like comparing apples to oranges. You simply get more with the SC kit in material alone. When you look at the Boondocker Agility kit with the intercooler the cost is $6,100. The cost for the SC kit is $6,750. If the difference in actual output is marginal between the 2, than it's debatable whether it's worth it or not. But if there's a big improvement, especially on the low end performance, and you get a lot more HP on the top end with the SC kit while on Pump Gas than it seems that it's totally worth it.

Of course, this assumes that each kit is dialed in and especially the fuel mapping is right, which seems to be the toughest thing to figure out for the aftermarket world... thus the reason for my earlier post looking for real world experience from guys who have actually put some miles on with this kit specifically on a Polaris 850.

You will get much less top end. The Agility with water to air will way outperform a Sc. The non intercooled agility or side kick switch will outperform the Sc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls

A turbocharger harness' more of the mechanical and thermal efficiency in an engine. When you combust fuel in the cylinder (this is all from 4 stroke stuff, i'm curious the difference for 2 stroke now that i type this out), 1/3 is put to the crank, 1/3 goes through the cooling system and 1/3 goes out the tail pipe. So with a turbo charger in line, you're harnessing as much as 2/3, though it's never perfectly efficient (thermal or mechanical) so you might get 50%.

As you said, S/C are a parasitic loss, where as turbo's are not. I think you're spot on that they're apples to oranges, even at the same boost level and intercooling due to the difference in thermal efficiency and the relationship to mechanical benefit.

One thing I've always seen in these forums and facebook groups regarding sleds, everyone talks about boost and HP Numbers. Nobody ever talks about torque. That's the game winner, that's what gives track speed. Forced induction of any kind gives a lot more torque, and safely, because the charge in the cylinder is that much larger and pushes harder on the crank much farther through the stroke than NA. The peak cylinder pressure isn't that much higher, which is why it's safe to boost to a certain amount, but when the crank is at 90 degrees, there is more than double the push on the piston due to the longer duration of burn in the cylinder from the forced induction volume of fuel and air.

If anyone here watches street outlaws and the progression of cars over the last what, 8 years? Most of the fastest cars are twin turbo now, due to the gain in efficiency and reliability. And they are fastest on the big end, slower out of the hole. S/c will get the hole shot, but you're losing MPH and hoping the other guy can't make it up in time. Nitrous means big displacement and you better have a helluva pit crew to swap motors and replace parts often.

Last edited:
A
Dec 23, 2018
I would agree right until the end when you started to talk about Street outlaws and said a SC or blower will have more out of the hole lol with timing retard/ 2 step or N2O a turbo will come out of the hole with more boost then a SC. Turbos have 10 + psi on the line that’s why it’s always such a game when staging and trying to burn the other guy down on the converter

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I would agree right until the end when you started to talk about Street outlaws and said a SC or blower will have more out of the hole lol with timing retard/ 2 step or N2O a turbo will come out of the hole with more boost then a SC. Turbos have 10 + psi on the line that’s why it’s always such a game when staging and trying to burn the other guy down on the converter

That is true, just seems like the big twin turbo setups never launch as well as other cars. Maybe just a false perception on my part and more to it than just the powerplant.

Premium Features